Passport stamp is 4 days short

On dec 25 I enterred at don muang with a 2 month tourist visa obtained in myanmar. The io warned me i would probably be rejected next time i enterred unless i had a retirement visa because it was my 4th tourist entry in 2019. I expressed surprise and said i only stayed a total of 3 mths for 2019. They (the io and his supervisor) were adament. I asked them when could i next enter with a tourist visa - after 8 months? They said "probably". They were very unsure. Then he stamped me for 56 days instead of the 60 days - so i will incur a 2 day overstay penalty when i depart. Can i get the stamp error amended?

but an overstay stamp is not so good,you don't want to get stopped while on overstay 

what date have they stamped you in until, and what date you leaving

what age are you, whats you past history of staying, you only stayed but had 3 tourist visa's , are you using them wisely

Edited by steve187

3 hours ago, graexx said:

It shows as 20 feb, and my departure flight is 22 feb.

Can i get the error corrected by immigration?

Entering Dec 25, stamped until Feb 20 is indeed wrong.

Yes you can have the error corrected at the immigration office.

I'll ask mods to move the thread to the visa subforum.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graexx said:

Immigration will correct the error. In future, check stamps in your passport religiously before moving on.

22 hours ago, graexx said:

Hi Steve, but the extension costs 1,900 bt, which is greater than the overstay fine.

Oh dear, you are perhaps gaming the system. An overstay added to your current record may be a bad idea. 

• Like 1

Go back to Dong Muang immigration and get it changed. I just did this at Vientiane bridge when given 59 days instead of 60. Surly IO had a minion check the number of days on his phone calendar then begrudgingly crossed out the old stamps and restamped correctly. He didnt speak, didnt apologise, didnt even look at me! I would have asked for a supervisor if he had refused to change it. Udon Thani immigration office would not change it but they said they would correct it if/when I extended it there. but like u I did not want an extenstion so I had to go back to the bridge....Very expensive...11thb to go on the train.....555.

Edited by SunsetT

2 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

Go back to Dong Muang immigration and get it changed. I just did this at Vientiane bridge when given 59 days instead of 60. Surly IO had a minion check the number of days on his phone calendar then begrudgingly crossed out the old stamps and restamped correctly. He didnt speak, didnt apologise, didnt even look at me! I would have asked for a supervisor if he dad refused to change it.

Did you really get 59 days? You do know that the arrival date is included in the 60 days? 

3 minutes ago, Max69xl said:

Did you really get 59 days? You do know that the arrival date is included in the 60 days? 

Yes. Of course. If not it would not have been corrected. Ironically, in 13 years it was the 1st time that I didnt check it before leaving the desk, but I was in a desperate hurry to catch the train from Nong Khai.....Lesson learned!

Edited by SunsetT

Given the warning you got from the IO and if you plan to come back you certainly do not want to overstay, they will use the overstay as an excuse to reject you next time.

As stupid as it may sound, all the craze about immigration being annoying is mostly about them following the basic rules of not working without permit and not overstaying.

Also, i could be wrong but i am pretty sure the IO has the power to decide the number of stay on the stamp they deliver so from a purely legal point of view they could very well not be required to change the "wrong" date.

I would give it a try though, likely to work if you bring your best behaviours and a big smile!

Edited by freeman01
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, freeman01 said:

As stupid as it may sound, all the craze about immigration being annoying is mostly about them following the basic rules of not working without permit and not overstaying.

I disagree with this take.

They're often not following rules. Or they're exercising discretion differently from location to location and even officer to officer. They're arbitrarily demanding documentation that the law/regulations do not require (or do not require for that specific purpose). Even if some of it is to keep people out who might be prone to working without a permit or overstaying, the means and ends do not match up. At best, they're using indirect indicators which wind up punishing people who aren't intending to work/overstay. 

Showing cash, having a printed hotel reservation, having x# of air entries, having x# of visas or exemptions, staying x# of days per year...these aren't (usually) rules. And when an IO denies someone entry on the fraudulent basis of them not showing "means to support," that IO is flagrantly violating the law. 

Thailand's immigration regime is broken when it comes to visas, exemptions, etc. As critical as I am of how immigration enforces things, even I get that IOs are trying to accomplish "policy" objectives (e.g., "bad guys out," limiting "serial" tourism). They're just using the wrong tools because they don't have the right ones. And, to boot, they value of those policy objectives is debatable or even laughable (e.g., denying visas or entry because someone "visits too frequently"). 

Everything would be much simpler and less frustrating for all concerned (foreigners and Thai authorities alike), and everyone would have much more respect for the integrity and consistency of the process, if immigration law were reworked. They could easily:

• Codify how many tourism entries/visas per length of time are acceptable.
  • Codify how much time per length of time tourists can stay in the Kingdom.
  • Codify what documentation is required and prevent IOs from demanding that which isn't for standard cases.
  • Codify what the grounds for denial are and crack down on IOs misuing those grounds.
  • Create space for consular or IO discretion for those seeking to exceed the limits (possibly if they can provide additional explanation/documentation).
  • And, of course, get with the 21st century and simplify the reporting requirements and mechanisms (online, TM-infinity).

The irony is this is a "government" that occasionally claims the authority to do just about anything without democratic processes (i.e. Section 44 of a "constitution" that was drafted by folks who overthrew a democratic government, then allowed a "referendum" in which public discussion about the draft was only permissible if you supported it). Those in power expect everyone to follow the rules when the rules are simultaneously unclear, illogical, inconsistently enforced, and a moving target. Still, most of us try to walk the line, even if we roll our eyes at the line and those claiming the right to enforce it. 

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2020 at 8:17 AM, graexx said:

I gather that there is a window at Chaengwattana (the principal immigration office for Bangkok) which is specifically dedicated to the correction of stamping errors of this sort.

19 hours ago, Max69xl said:

You only have 2 choices, 1000 baht overstay or 1900 baht for 7 days extension. Period! Just pick one.

Not true.  As he arrived 25 December and is leaving on 22 February that is a total of 60 days.  His first option is to go to Immigration and have the date on his visa amended to 22 February which will give him his correct 60 days and not be liable for overstay payment.

However, he did not reveal when he would be leaving until later in the postings, which he posted as 20 February, which is 58 days.  It could also be a case of not being able to correctly count the days on the calendar.  Dec + 7 days, Jan = 31 days, Feb = 22 days, total = 60 days.  It would be interesting to know when and how he determined he is short of days on his visa and how he counted the days assigned to his visa.

'nuf sed

Edited by wotsdermatter
  • Like 1

i think its best for a photo of the stamp, maybe hard to read, why would the IO have a stamp set at 58 days from the day of arrival, the only time it is required to change a date stamp is for a re-entry permit, the 30 day and 60 day stamps are good all day.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:15 PM, graexx said:

On dec 25 I enterred at don muang with a 2 month tourist visa obtained in myanmar. The io warned me i would probably be rejected next time i enterred unless i had a retirement visa because it was my 4th tourist entry in 2019. I expressed surprise and said i only stayed a total of 3 mths for 2019. They (the io and his supervisor) were adament. I asked them when could i next enter with a tourist visa - after 8 months? They said "probably". They were very unsure. Then he stamped me for 56 days instead of the 60 days - so i will incur a 2 day overstay penalty when i depart. Can i get the stamp error amended?

graexx, 

This "may" work.  Go to your immigration office and have them correct it.  I had my passport stamped with a 30 day tourist visa by mistake instead of my re-entry on my O Visa.  Immigration corrected it and changed the dates. 

22 hours ago, Thomas J said:

graexx, 

This "may" work.  Go to your immigration office and have them correct it.  I had my passport stamped with a 30 day tourist visa by mistake instead of my re-entry on my O Visa.  Immigration corrected it and changed the dates. 

I Once had my 90 Day " O " Stamped for 60 Days at Nong Khai Bridge on returning from Vientianne with a NEW Non-Imm " O " Visa Sticker......But Noticed it straight away & Pointed it out to the IO Who Corrected it Immediately & With an APOLOGY,Well Of Sorts if yer know what I Mean !!

On 1/9/2020 at 6:46 PM, graexx said:

Hi Steve, but the extension costs 1,900 bt, which is greater than the overstay fine.

Unbelievable. Are you not aware that you could/will be arrested even with a two day, or a one day overstay when you get into a passport control?

Greater is what's legal, not what's cheaper.