Restless legs getting worse.

giddyup

Have suffered RLS for many years, sometimes I get a few nights respite before suffering again. However, I am now getting it during the day accompanied by a sharp pain in the arch of my left foot every time my leg spasms. Not sure where I go from here, Thai doctors don't seem very familiar with the symptoms.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe you should see a Pain Management Doctor.

Most hospitals have one, I would recommend Dr. Prasakon at Sriphat. He sorted out my sciatic nerve problem a few years ago.

Ram does not have any that I could recommend

Good luck

PS. Just seen that it looks like you are in Pattaya, I am sure they have Pain Management Doctors there, but I am unfamiliar with hospitals down there, sorry about that.

Edited by ThaiPauly
Regional
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ThaiPauly said:

Maybe you should see a Pain Management Doctor.

Most hospitals have one, I would recommend Dr. Prasakon at Sriphat. He sorted out my sciatic nerve problem a few years ago.

Ram does not have any that I could recommend

Good luck

while pain management may be one way, surely the idea must be to stop the syndrome altogether? For me it wasn't painful, just irritating and discomforting, so pain management would not have helped.  In any event, masking such things with pain medication is rarely the answer. 

• Like 2

I have found with many who ive with RLS that potassium assits with it, but as previously suggested blood work would be a good ideam if increasing potassium via suppliments.

Exercise by stretching calf and archilles tendons and hamstrings may assist.

You can find low impact exercises on the net for seniors, takes a few eeks, but worth a tyr. Check your diet and weight.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Is it RLS, or night cramps?

I have a one hour massage twice a week. Occasionally, I will take 500 mg of quinine as a precaution.

Magnesium supplements are recommended, although they don't seem to do much for me. Drink plenty of water, and be aware alcohol can provoke cramping.

Not cramps.

28 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

What you describe in the daytime does not sound like RLS.  And if I recall correctly your night time problem was not RLS either but rather periodic limb movement disorder...which I am noiw thiunking may actually have been muscle spasms rather than hypnic jerks.

Which doctors have you seen? Did you ever consult Dr. Jakrin Loplumlert at Bangkok Hospital as previously recommended?

You need to see a neurologist and have some basic lab work (electrolytes, including potassium, calcium and magnesium) done. If you want you could get the labs fdone on your own first., Iwoudl suggest a basic chemistry panel (BUN, creatnine, ALS AST, electrolytes) plus Magnesium and Calcium if nto already included.

I did see a doctor previously at Bkk Hospital, can't remember his name, and he prescribed Clonazepam, which helps me sleep but doesn't stop the spasms. I do take Magnesium and Calcium supplements.

I started to get night cramps and my legs wanting to stretch out for no reason.    This seems to be related to a number of TIA's and a stroke ( complicated by nearly 3 days on the floor causing rhabdomyolysis ).

Some months ago I started simple yoga floor exercises ( lying on my back ) during which I stretch my whole body until I can feel tingling in my toes and fingers.    This seems to stop the issue of night cramps and unwanted leg stretches.     Perhaps this could help you ?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

I started to get night cramps and my legs wanting to stretch out for no reason.    This seems to be related to a number of TIA's and a stroke ( complicated by nearly 3 days on the floor causing rhabdomyolysis ).

Some months ago I started simple yoga floor exercises ( lying on my back ) during which I stretch my whole body until I can feel tingling in my toes and fingers.    This seems to stop the issue of night cramps and unwanted leg stretches.     Perhaps this could help you ?

Anything is worth a try. I'll have a look on Youtube for some simple Yoga exercises.

I have suffered this for years and it can be terrible, lack of sleep etc leads to other problems. Flying was also very uncomfortable. I was told that lack of calcium and magnesium was the cause. There are many supplements out there that offers these so might be worth a purchase or two. Good luck

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, generealty said:

I have suffered this for years and it can be terrible, lack of sleep etc leads to other problems. Flying was also very uncomfortable. I was told that lack of calcium and magnesium was the cause. There are many supplements out there that offers these so might be worth a purchase or two. Good luck

Already said that I take both.

10 minutes ago, Trentham said:

I am 76 years old and have had it since I was a teenager. It is usual that it gets worse with age and in my case severely so. About 6 years ago it got so I was not sleeping before 3 t0 4 AM every night so finally went to the doc. about it and was prescribed carbidopa levodopa. It worked like magic for 1 week and then the RLS became incredibly severe. 

RLS runs in families and my sister has it too. Sifrol is great for her but has no effect on me. 

Wow! Thanks for your response, it says no matter how bad my condition might be there's always someone who is suffering more. I truly sympathise. I will say my RLS does give me respite from time to time, ie last night I slept very well with no twitching or painful feet, not sure if it was because my partner got me to soak my feet in warm water for 15 minutes before bed, but I did get a break. Not sure if my father suffered from the same condition, but he did pass his gout on to me, the only thing I did inherit from him.

Edited by giddyup

16 minutes ago, justin case said:

dehydration,  low iron or low on magnesium

don't start with expensive and dangerous pills, but check levels

No symptoms (other than RLS) that would indicate an iron deficiency, and I take Magnesium supplements now.

Im not a "pot cures everything" advocate, but for those with real RLS I know a lady who was driven crazy by it and could not sleep.

She bought some oil abroad, i believe CBD oil and said it changed her life immediately.

This is only an anecdote, but I got it from the (sensible, normal) horse's mouth.

4 minutes ago, cheeryble said:

Im not a "pot cures everything" advocate, but for those with real RLS I know a lady who was driven crazy by it and could not sleep.

She bought some oil abroad, i believe CBD oil and said it changed her life immediately.

This is only an anecdote, but I got it from the (sensible, normal) horse's mouth.

I'd be happy to try it if I can get prescription, but only if I can take it without smoking it. Since quitting smoking about 7 years ago there's no way I'll smoke in any form again.

3 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I'd be happy to try it if I can get prescription, but only if I can take it without smoking it. Since quitting smoking about 7 years ago there's no way I'll smoke in any form again.

Cannabis oil did not work for me.Plus it gave me a hangover.

58 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

I  have a  cousin  who started  to suffer RLS at around  age  40. He eventually  found  relief from  Chiropractic intervention. Not in Thailand . Not sure if that is an option where you are and I know  many are sceptical  about Chiropractic.

Agree with the Chiro could help, unfortunately there are more bad Chiros than good, there is a very good one in Bangkok, acupuncture could help as well, again not easy to find a good practitioner, but they are out there.

26 minutes ago, giddyup said:

No symptoms (other than RLS) that would indicate an iron deficiency, and I take Magnesium supplements now.

Again I suggest you get labs done (see prior post) There are deficiencies other than just Mg that can cause this.

In Pattaya you can get them done here

http://lifecare.siam2web.com/

Also I strongly suggest you stop using the term "RLS" especially with doctors as it will confuse them/divert their attention.

To my understanding that is not what you are suffering from but rather involuntary leg spasms which are not occurring day time as well and painful. 

You may be suffering from an underlying  metabolic or neuromuscular disorder.

• Like 1