Poisonous Water At Mabprachan Lake

Mobi

I usually take my Golden to Mabprachan Lake around 3 times a week to give her a swim. However I haven't been there for a few weeks as it has been very hot - for me and the dog.

Then yesterday, I read the following letter in Pattaya today:

Problems at Mabprachan lake

I believe there is a serious water problem at Mabprachan lake. The death of my Great Dane, Jet, and my other Dane Pinto’s current sickness may only be the tip of an iceberg as this water borne protozoa is an indiscriminate killer of humans too. See more on the website www.historyofwaterfilters.com/protozopa.html After swimming only the one time in their lives at Mabprachan on Sunday March 4, both dogs were later diagnosed with Giardia and Cryptosporidium protozoa by my local animal hospital and also by Thonglor animal hospital in Bangkok. By that time, Jet had died after being terribly ill and in great pain for 29 hours. It should be noted that both dogs drank only bottled water at home, not tap water, and the land where we live is free of any stagnant water or pools. The vet has been to the house and seen no danger points there to take responsibility for the illness. I realise that it’s a natural thing to want to blame somebody after a loved one passes on, but our family feels the water at Mabprachan lake may be to blame. WE want to publicise this so that other families do not suffer the loss of a beloved animal, or even a precious child owing to contamination of the water.

This is very worrying, and it could be that my laziness and need to evade the hot sun may have saved my dog's life.

Does anyone else have any knowledge or experience of this, and do they think this will be an ongoing problem?

BTW there are also people (kids and adults) canoeing on the lake. Maybe they should be careful not to drink any of the water.

It's all a bit worrying as this is one of Pattaya's principal water supplies - although I'm sure it goes through a cleaning/filtering process. :o

I will also post this in the pets forum

Edited by Mobi D'Ark

In the late afternoon there are usually a few Thais in the water fishing with nets and goodness knows what else. They tend to stay very low in the water with their heads just above the surface. I also see them swimming, so I hope no one has become ill.

I always wanted to post the question whether or not it is allowed/recommendable to swim in the lake. I guess this question is answered...

Surposedly all recreational activities, boating, swimmimg, canoeing,etc. apart from fishing from the banks is illegal in lakes that are used as water storage for human consumption.

Well, I have been told by a number of people that the lake is available for all kinds of recreational activity, free of charge, provided internal combustion motors are not used. Certainly there are a variety of fishermen with rods and nets there, canoes, sailing dingies, and model boats. They use the lake for an annual long boat race, and it will be used for rowing events in the forthcoming SEA games.

Surely it's not that unusual to use reservoirs for water sports activities? I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere. After all, the water hasn't yet been treated - it's just being collected (from the heavens) and stored.

Theory is that it's fairly clean :o

Problem is that testing for crypto can be difficult, maybe need several stool tests before it is found. It was first seen in 1976 and is now worldwide. Worst outbreak was in Milwaukee, Wisconsin in the good old U S of A where 400,000 people were affected. It is resistant to chlorine based disinfectants. Drug of choice is Nitazoxanide I think. It is possible that one never gets rid of it. Those who have cancer or poor immune system should take special care.

Gardia I have had many, many times and Flagyl takes care of it.

I would hesitate to blame crypto and/or gardia for the death of a healthy dog.

Well, I have been told by a number of people that the lake is available for all kinds of recreational activity, free of charge, provided internal combustion motors are not used. Certainly there are a variety of fishermen with rods and nets there, canoes, sailing dingies, and model boats. They use the lake for an annual long boat race, and it will be used for rowing events in the forthcoming SEA games.

Surely it's not that unusual to use reservoirs for water sports activities? I'm sure I've seen it elsewhere. After all, the water hasn't yet been treated - it's just being collected (from the heavens) and stored.

Theory is that it's fairly clean :o

Mobi, Fairly clean. How many dead bodies do they pull out of there each year ?

My understanding is that all lakes in Thailand that are used for water storage for household water have restrictions for recreational use. Could you imagine how much garbage there would be at the bottom of the lake if it was a free for all. This is Thailand and some regulations are rarely enforced.

I've had Giardia before, caught it on Koh Samet.. not nice and a bit messy !

totster :o

But not deadly. I've had it once and my mother got it in the US (apparently watermelon skin can carry it). It does make one a very unpleasant person to be around but AFAIK it does eventually go away on its own but can be hastened with Flagyl (a nasty remedy I must say).

Can't see how giardia could kill a dog.

I kayak in the lake almost everyday with a few others. Just over a week ago we noticed the water had some how turned salty, we could feel it on our skin and taste it when splashed.

At the far end where they have the excavations going on the water is a different colour and seems very silty, maybe this is a factor.

The only restriction on boating is the no engine rule.

The Thai national rowing team are also based on the lake, training all day every day getting ready for the ASEAN games.

I have to say that there seems to be plenty of wildlife on the lake now and I have seen some very large fish jumping.

A few days ago a huge floating engine of some type arrived on the lake. It has a floating steel pipeline covering 3/4 of the width of the lake and at the end near the engine there is an auger of some sort.

I have been told that the latest idea to deepen the lake is to suck up the bed and pump it onto the banks.

I wonder what this will do to the cleanliness of the water?

*EDIT* something I have also noticed is that about 2 or 3 hours after coming of the lake, I seem to suffer dizzy spells and stagger around talking <deleted> to anyone who'll listen, I wonder ?

Edited by kurgen

*EDIT* something I have also noticed is that about 2 or 3 hours after coming of the lake, I seem to suffer dizzy spells and stagger around talking <deleted> to anyone who'll listen, I wonder ?

How many beers did you ingest while out on the lake kurgen? :o

Have you considered the possibility that it might be an algal bloom?

Some species of algae produce neurotoxins and usually this results in the death of a few dogs who can’t read the signs saying “don’t go near the water”.

I don’t know if they are common here or not there was some evidence of this in Bang Phra reservoir about 4 years ago.

The water would probably show signs of discoloration and aquatic and life and any animals drinking from the lake would be killed.

Usually they occur after a period of warm dry weather i.e. the end of the hot season in Thailand.

Giardia rarely kills healthy animals and especially not within 2 or 3 days. Probably like the poster above says its an algal toxin (from blue-green algae) but not a neurotoxin (they kill almost immediately) most likely a hepatotoxin (usually take a couple of days to die). Many animals are killed every year in most countries by these algae.

Hmm... Looks like I'll have to keep Cookie away from the lake for the time being - which is a great pity as she loves swimming and it is good exercise for her.

Maybe I'll reassess the situation when the rains start, and all the landscaping work etc has been completed.

Back to walking the dog. :o