“Don’t complain about our English, If you can’t speak Thai” - sign at restaurant goes viral - again

webfact

30 minutes ago, Traubert said:

They are when they're 100% correct. A conversation I witnessed:

Tourist ; Jack, rocks!

Barman : I'm sorry, sir, what would you like?

T: Jack, rocks! I told you.

B: I'm afraid we don't have any Jackrocks sir, would you like something else?

T: I can see the damn Jack! There, you stupid?

B Oh, Jack Daniels sir, and.....?

T: Rocks! Rocks! Jesus Christ!

Who is speaking the better English there?

Another interpretation of how the ???????????????????????????? apply their language to the above post could mean that it relates to 'a lazy begger in the RAF regiment!???? 

Edited by evadgib
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Jingthing said:

If a Thai business is catering to English speaking tourists then it's in their interest to help their staff speak better English as opposed to dissing their customers. That said, living in Pattaya I can see the language is quite challenging. One year it's English, then Russian, then Arabic, then Hindi, then Farsi, then Chinese. Too much!

Nowadays for restaurant staff its sufficient  just master the Thai language.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AJS150654 said:

I can't believe there are actually posts critisising this sign. Get over yourselves, you are in these peoples country, if you owned a restaurant in your home country, would you expect your staff to be multi lingual. If you want to eat at an english speaking restaurant, Suvarnabhumi is your first stop.

Depending on the demographic of the customer base, yes, by all means, it would be important to at least have some staff that speak both English and other relevant languages. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

Fantastic stuff. English speakers are linguist imperialists expecting everyone else to learn their tongue. 

Nobody said that!

The sign is rude.

I don't want to be greeted at a business with a rude xenophobic sign. 

That's the problem. 

Love indeed. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Steve Vincent said:

Thai is limited as cannot get the tones correct,. it’s a very difficult language to learn.

Grammar wise, Thai is simpler than Japanese. You only have to learn vocabulary and say it in the right order, which happens to be the same order as english.

The tone thing is overrated. Ordinary Thai speak in a quite flat tone, and like in every language teaching class: the stupid teacher strive for perfection instead of "what works". E.g. Old school german, words like "wenig", "König", "Krieg", would pronounce the final g, like a "ch" as in "Ich". It is still taught all over the world like that (especially in old colonies, or areas like Russia where people emigrated to in the middle ages), no idea about UK german schools. But: no one talks like that anymore. A final "G" in any german word is simply a "g" ... not an "ch".

The tones get interesting when they either get excited or do an official speech or recite poetry. 

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

No I don't speak French I do speak fluent German though does that count?
Anyway of course there are more languages spoken in Asean than just English but English is the prefered language of communication between Asean countries.

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+the+official+language+of+asean&rlz=1C1CHBF_enTH818TH818&oq=what+is+the+official+language+of+asean&aqs=chrome..69i57j33.10247j1j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Currently, English stands as the official language of ASEAN used by foreign ministers in regional
meetings, decision-making agendas and charter agreements. English was selected due to its
widespread utility in several 
ASEAN countries like Singapore and the Philippines

Funnily enough my gf who speaks very basic English is disgusted at the English ability of the current Thai PM. She sees him as an embarrassment....not for the politics but for the lack of English. She laughs...he only know three words.

Edited by emptypockets
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Mid 80's after Marrying a Thai Girl, I found myself in a Little village in the North of Thailand.

The family house was across the road from the village school, where the school master and

a few students came to see if I would like to be their English Teacher, because the one they

had did not speak English. I was very busy at the time, and told them Sorry I could not.

But before they left, they said they knew to say "Hello" but asked how to say Goodbye in English.

I being from the American South, explained how to say "Yall come back Now, Ya Hear",

I have to admit they were very Quick to Learn, speaking "Yall come back Now, Ya Hear",

as they left.

Well it's S.E. Asia, after all....

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

Absolutely nobody speak French in Isaan. Not even in Cambodia or Laos anymore. Yes, they got their street signs and government buildings/post offices in French but the younger generation in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam learn English now. Still no one should complain if staff at the local restaurant can't speak fluent English. Education is really bad in Thai state schools. Only the bar girls and a few lucky upper class people speak decent English in Thailand.

A friend of my wife speaks French. Her French husband speaks neither Thai or English. She also speaks very good English too. She translates Thai/English/ French when we get together.

43 minutes ago, i84teen said:

Fair enough. I won't complain.

But keep this in mind: your very existence as a restaurant was made possible ONLY by english speaking foreigners and other farangs.

You seemed to have assumed that you know the percentages of their clientele makeup.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Bigz said:

Absolutely nobody speak French in Isaan. Not even in Cambodia or Laos anymore. Yes, they got their street signs and government buildings/post offices in French but the younger generation in Laos/Cambodia/Vietnam learn English now. Still no one should complain if staff at the local restaurant can't speak fluent English. Education is really bad in Thai state schools. Only the bar girls and a few lucky upper class people speak decent English in Thailand.

Sorry,

I have been in Lao two times last year.

EVERYONE I met spoke french. Even the 6 year old little kids.

No idea where you have been, I was in: Thakek (Opposite side of Nakhon Phanom). Full with french tourists. Every menu in Lao and French, Lao unfortunately written in a slightly different script than Thai, so my wife had trouble reading it and we had to ask for Thai or english menus, sometimes (for my wife, as I can read and understand french, but don't really speak it) .

The kids engaged with tourists in french, just like they engage me in Thailand in english. No idea how wide spread it is. But it is certainly there. The immigration officer in Thailand who explained to me, "Farang can not use the boat, but have to take the friendship bridge", addressed me in French, and then switched to English.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, BritManToo said:

They all get taught English for 11 years in school.

Maybe blame them for not learning.

Oddly enough, my son aged 8, has been learning English for 3 years in his Thai school, and they class his English ability as 'poor', even though he's a native English speaker and chats all day in English at home.

Makes you wonder!

Do you happen to be from the NE and he speak George (I think I spelt that wrong .. but I think you know what I mean ???? ..)

52 minutes ago, Thian said:

If you spoke this bad english to me in a Phuket hotel i would be angry and write that on Agoda, your english is sure not good enough to work in a hotel. Your level of english is just good enough for a taxidriver in Sukhumvit BKK.

And yes i am from Holland and speak 5 languages.

And those 5 languages are most likely very similar to Dutch, like German, English or Danish. Sorry ... his english is perfectly fine. And 100% certainty: better than your Thai, Mandarin, Sanskrit or Japanese ...

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, JAG said:

I have to say, if I saw that sign, in the surroundings the picture sets it in, I would think:"Interesting, obviously composed and written by someone who speaks excellent colloquial English, and who understands how to use coloured chalks to get it noticed!"

If anything it might cause me to stop by for elevenses or something, to find out what their English is actually like!

For me it's the 'love you' at the end that would make me find another place to eat/drink. The sign gives off negative vibes and I'd expect attitude inside as they're effectively saying you're not allowed to complain if part of their service is not up to scratch.

99% of the time I have no problems and enjoy communicating with Thais in both English and Thai. It does grind my gears though if I go into a coffee shop and ask for a latte and they have no clue what I am talking about. If you work in a coffee shop and can't understand that, you shouldn't be working in a coffee shop. Same with restaurant workers who ask me what I would like to drink (usually in Thai). Sometimes I ask for a beer Heineken and they look confused. The menu consists of the usual four beers ???? As I say though that's the 1%

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Thai is a super simple language? 44 consonants, 32 vowels, and 5 tones? I'd hate to meet your idea of a complex language - Finnish or Basque, perhaps?

What have consonants and tones to do with it? The vowels are completely straight forward. And unlike english or danish that uses 5 vowels in odd combinations to form actually the sound (sound, instead of saund, sea versus see, beak, bear, been, boom etc. sun instead of san, sand instead of saend or seand?) In other words: there is basically no english word that is pronounced like it is spelled. Thai vowels are pronounced _exactly_ as they are spelled, hence they were smart and introduced their own letters for every vowel and diphthong just like norwegians and danish did ????

Complex languages are indeed Finish, Basque, and German, Russian, English, but also: Spanish, Italian ... etc.

English: "Yesterday I have been in the cinema".

Thai: "Yesterday go cinema"

English: "After the cinema yesterday, we had dinner".

Thai: "After go cinema yesterday, dinner" or more typical "After yesterday go cinema already, go dinner with friends" In this case, "already" is a marker word to indicate that something happened after something else.

And so on. No singular, no plural. No genders as in male or female. No special future or past tense. Just an arrangement of words.

In your language comparison, you should have looked first for "native speakers". If you count Indians, you might have a point and get indeed close to 1.5b english speakers. The planet has 7.5billion people however ... so good luck convincing the other 6 billion that they _need_ to learn english ????

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Traubert said:

They are when they're 100% correct. A conversation I witnessed:

Tourist ; Jack, rocks!

Barman : I'm sorry, sir, what would you like?

T: Jack, rocks! I told you.

B: I'm afraid we don't have any Jackrocks sir, would you like something else?

T: I can see the damn Jack! There, you stupid?

B Oh, Jack Daniels sir, and.....?

T: Rocks! Rocks! Jesus Christ!

Who is speaking the better English there?

Typical uneducated slob. 

5 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Perhaps he has picked up your accent, the UK has a large number of them. Cockney, Welsh, Yorkshire, Cornwall, cut-glass - the list goes on and on. You would be unaware of it, but it might sound weird to the teachers. Hence their rating.

I once had a Latin teacher from the north of England. Took the class 3 months to work out what on earth he was saying.

There used to be a comedy programme on BBC Scotland called "Rab C. Nesbitt" Rumour has it that when they broadcast it in the South of England they had to use subtitles!

P.S. There is "Esan" Thai and "Bangkok" Thai!

3 hours ago, sawadee1947 said:

As a Brit you have to work hard indeed to speak a bit of French and even after hard working it sounds the same as French speaking English.... ????????????

I'm french and when I speak english all english people  believe i'm irish :whistling:

• Haha 1