Smooth retirement extension at Jomtien Immigration

25 minutes ago, Tracyb said:

Can the OP advise us if he has an O or an O-A visa as the basis I for his retirement extension, please?  If O-A, was insurance required?

Evidently he was on a extension of a entry from a non-o visa since he did not mention insurance in the OP.

Recently had to change from EFT routing number for NYC BKK like others because BKK stopped routing unless SWIFT code to now IDD form through Manila, direct deposit from SSA to Jomtien but on bank detail or passbook not coding it FTT or FET but Bathnet. Anyone having this experience?

1 hour ago, Tracyb said:

Can the OP advise us if he has an O or an O-A visa as the basis I for his retirement extension, please?  If O-A, was insurance required?

On Non-O, without any insurance. 

Posted primary because I had detailed account statement from day before and not the usual, on day of application, updated passbook. 

Edited by CH1961
Mistake
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It speaks volumes that retirees feel the need to post that their visa extension was not a traumatic experience...

It is rather intended as an aid. 

For the not so bright whiner ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

CH1961:  Friday 8.30am, got number 803. Prepared with usual copies.

Had TM30, chanot, detailed bank statement for last 6 months and letter from bank (made one day before) and nice actual photo from me.

9.50 out without any question from officer about photos or maps

Did you mean out at 9:50 or was it 8:50?  If 9:50, were you doing more than getting extension?

The reason I ask is it appears an unusually long time to process if you had number 803 (number 3 in line).  It has never taken me longer than 30 minutes and that was waiting for those ahead of me - a couple of years ago, I had number 806, they started processing at 8:30am as usual, I was called around 8:35am and was out the door at 8:40am (3 in the queue called before me had missing paperwork taking very little time to be sent on their way - otherwise, it would have taken longer but still would most likely have been out the door before 9am). As usual, to return the next day to pick up the passport.

Last year was bit different as it was first time using 65k monthly income without an Embassy letter (USA).  The IO took about 5 minutes to go through paperwork, but said I needed another letter from my bank listing the foreign deposits for past 12 months - I had bank certified statements for the 12 month period & letter from bank confirming the account - but she wanted the additional bank letter listing deposits instead of the statements.  She provided me with an example and said for me to go to the Bangkok Bank branch where I opened my account as they could do for full 12 months whereas other branches could only do about 6 months (I obtained the bank statements from another Bangkok Bank location and had to wait one week for the statements to be sent from Bank HQ).  This initial review by the Immigration Officer took about 5-6 minutes.

I left and immediately went to my Branch and obtained the letter - that took a little over an hour as they had to print out a Credit Advice for each deposit from which they took the information to prepare the letter.  Back to Jomtien Immigration and as instructed, went directly to the lady IO I dealt with earlier (no need to queue). As she had just finished with one person and not started with the next, she took my packet (she had already attached a notation apparently noting all in order except for the bank letter), looked over the letter, accepted the packet and my payment of fee -  took about 3 minutes. Picked up passport next day.

I have always found Jomtien Immigration to be efficient and quick so long as there is no problem with any of the documents submitted and any waiting depends on the number ahead of you in the queue.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

It speaks volumes that retirees feel the need to post that their visa extension was not a traumatic experience...

I hear you, but there is so much negative twaddle on TV about the “incompetent immigration officers/offices” it’s good to see some positive feedback. I too never have a problem at Jomtien.

Good on the OP for taking the time to post.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

Have been doing extension on marriage before for many years, but over 50 now. Have enough money in the bank for going the Retirement route and plan to do it this time. Going to district office to get a new marriage certificate, all the additional paperwork and immigration visit to my place, having to go again in 30 days for approval... prefer to go once and get it all done the same day.

By the way, my understanding is that I don't need 2 sets of documents like they ask for "marriage" extension, correct? One set is all they need, right?

Did you get an appointment letter to show you still have money in the bank after 90 days? 

When I did mine in December, sign was there, on back of computer terminal screen, indicating an appointment letter would be given for the 90 day bank check. Never got one.

Are they even still doing this 90 day money in bank check at Jomtien? Anyone been asked or given an appointment letter to come back in 90 days???????

I had exactly the same experience on Friday afternoon also. O Visa ext not O-A, 800k baht in bank not monthly payments. Not asked about insurance or maps/photos. Sign was still there about the appointment letter but was not given any letter. Picked up my passport on Monday afternoon and still no letter. I had timed my renewal at the same time as the 90 day report so i will have to go back in 90 days anyway so will update bank book just before so i have proof of balance should it be requested then.

22 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

OP's post is actually interesting for people staying in Pattaya. A couple of weeks ago a poster reported when doing his 1 year extension based on retirement, Jomtien Immigration required a handwritten map and 3 photos of his condo. The map is no problem, I can probably write a map blind folded. But providing photos for an extension based on retirement is unheard of at Jomtien Immigration. 

2 hours ago, DPGumbypgh said:

I had exactly the same experience on Friday afternoon also. O Visa ext not O-A, 800k baht in bank not monthly payments. Not asked about insurance or maps/photos. Sign was still there about the appointment letter but was not given any letter. Picked up my passport on Monday afternoon and still no letter. I had timed my renewal at the same time as the 90 day report so i will have to go back in 90 days anyway so will update bank book just before so i have proof of balance should it be requested then.

They will not ask you about your 800k when doing the 90 days report at Desk 4. It's Desk 8 who wants to see if you still got the 800k in your account. When I did my last extension last year they didn't give me the paper with the date for the 90 days check. I asked the girl behind Desk 8 about the paper and if I didn't need one. She looked confused and then said that I used the 65k monthly method. I said,no I did not. She realized that they forgot to give me the paper,so she just took a copy of the police order and put a date stamp at the bottom. I don't think they keep the copies you're supposed to provide 90 days later, and I don't think they enter anything in the computer. When I went back 90 days later and handed over the 4 signed copies to same girl,she looked really bored and glanced through the copies maybe 15 sec, looked up,smiled and said: You can go now. If they forget the paper again later this year, I won't mention it and no 90 days check for me. 

7 hours ago, soisanuk said:

Did you mean out at 9:50 or was it 8:50?  If 9:50, were you doing more than getting extension?

There was one UK and one US passport holder ahead of me. 

Endless discussions about paperwork with IO ☹️

I just renewed My extension the first week in Jan. with no issues. One reason for posting is because even the experts on the Thai Visa page told me it was impossible for me to get my Visa extended with the payments I made before hand. The main reason for posting is to clear the Air. If you go to the Bank they will issue you the correct paperwork you need to extend your Visa. The same guy that sits at the end of desk #5 has done it since I have been here. If you can not figure how to get the paperwork to him properly do not bother him just go find some Visa agent and pay them to do it for you.

Edited by warrenv

On 1/20/2020 at 11:26 AM, Puchaiyank said:

GREAT point!  The fact the OP looks more like an advertisement, a justification of sorts to say all is ok.  It's like saying when playing russian (thai visa) roulette, "phew, no chamber bullet on this hammer pull...

In the end, i'm sure we are all happy you made it, question is, I hope all future visits will be consistent.

• Like 1

It just so happens that the OP's case (similar to mine) of basing his application on 800K in the bank with an initial O visa (not O-A) is indeed the EASIEST type of case! So I don't think there is any news in this report, It would be news if there was a new wrinkle for those people in that situation.

The people that are having significant problems are:

O-A visa based people needing insurance

People doing income based applications without embassy letters

and most difficult cases: COMBO method,

So people don't be fooled with anecdotal stories to conclude that everything is rosy OR everything is a horror show. Because neither is true.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1