Coronavirus: Stay calm and carry on spending! Tourism minister tells tourists

webfact

9 hours ago, webfact said:

staff are cleaning handrails,toilet door knobs and other knobs.

:cheesy::cheesy: That surely will make a lot of male customers, very, very happy, I guess.

But on a more serious note...

9 hours ago, webfact said:

he has told everyone to carry on spending at places like the big department stores

How blunt can you get? This statement only goes to show - once again, I might add - that Thailand really is interested in only one thing as far as foreign visitors are concerned. The well-being of tourists is apparently not the top priority. A responsible tourism minister would have recommended that visitors already in the country should avoid overly crowded places as much as possible, at least for the time being.

Hand gels and the occasional polishing of cleaning of... what was the word?...  knobs in busy malls simply isn't enough to contain a possible spread of the virus, because it is primarily passed on by sneezing, coughing, blowing your nose without the use of a handkerchief and, yes, retching up a gooey one and spitting it on the floor (the latter two unfortunately being favorite pastimes of many of our Chinese friends and locals alike). 

• Like 1

Now you really do not need to wonder why Tourism numbers are down(beside all the other reasons). If this statement would be soread in the tourist originating countries, almost everyone would understand it clearly: "We do not care about your health or safety, we only care about your money".

Honestly you coukd not make this up!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, moe666 said:

Make sense to me that is his job tourism not health

His job seems more to promote some of the big shopping mails

not the national parks or some historic places or something else

they are all friends in the famous 1% group in this country 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

8 hours ago, thaipod said:

And don’t believe rumours and spend all your money. Nice guy. 

Bye  before you die , shop till you drop. leave nought..

You know , it makes sense...

Edited by elliss

What a complete bunch of knobheads, they would have the same chance of beating this virus as their army would have of beating the US army absolutely zilch.

How this country has made it to where it is beats me must be Buddha can’t be anything else looking after them apart from the Chinese.

6 hours ago, SiSePuede419 said:

From yesterday's New York Times...

"Adding to the growing global alarm, people who are carrying the virus but not showing symptoms may still be able to infect others, according to the Chinese official, Ma Xiaowei, the director of China’s National Health Commission.

Such asymptomatic transmissions would make the disease much more difficult to control, as seemingly healthy people travel and interact with others."

What this means in plain language that for MOST PEOPLE you won't even have any symptoms.

The only people who need to worry are infants, the very elderly, people with untreated AIDS, people whose immune systems have never been exposed to similar viruses ( this is why the "Spanish flu" epidemic in America killed so many young, healthy people) and people with compromised immune systems--like alcoholics who take meth and/or opiods, have a predominantly Western diet, are scared of everything and post fear-based statements on TVF (stress) and don't get enough sleep (drinking and chasing trim till the wee hours every night) and avoiding exercise, fresh air and sunshine like the plague.

You know, Pattaya Punters. ????

Dream on. Regurgitate something else other than this Amigo. Everyone's immune systems are only geared to fight DNA prescribed things. Meaning, an asthmatics? … or ? Celiac? Or ? Too many variables to say that.. Healthy does not actually say prevent against certain things that their normal immune systems are naturally not resistant too.

Edited by holy cow cm

"As of Monday, the virus has infected 2,835 people in China and killed 81"

If you live in China, assuming equal risk, you currently have a

8/2,835*100=

% chance of dying from Coronavirus, after actually contracting the virus.

Riding a motorbike in Phuket while drunk @ 2am is more dangerous. ????

Edited by SiSePuede419

12 hours ago, URMySunshine said:

I would say discretionary spend from idle shopping is on hold for the foreseeable until we see how this pans out. It's boring and tedious at the best of times and now I have a reason to tell the missus to stop !

She'll have a clever response, probably to the effect of "we're all going to die soon, so let me spend it all now" to counter your best efforts.

• Like 1

From a Chiang Mai expat group on Facebook

Is Thailand immigration helping to spread diseases?

We’ve just been through immigration (exiting Thailand) and had to have our four fingers scanned by immigration. One after another we all had to go through the process. I questioned the officer about cleaning the glass and he just laughed. Be aware of this when travelling. Buy a travel pack of sanitizer gel and use it for safety.”

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, kingofthemountain said:

His job seems more to promote some of the big shopping mails

not the national parks or some historic places or something else

they are all friends in the famous 1% group in this country 

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Is that American dollars ?

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Coronavirus: Stay calm and carry on spending! Tourism minister tells tourists

And there you have it from the man himself.... such compassion !

Keep on spending, profit, profit, profit sod the health issues.
This is now circulating on social media right across the globe, thousands are now either canceling trips to Asian destinations or changing their ideas about bookings to somewhere that cares a little bit more than just money!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zydeco said:

Ought to tell them how they can do their spending at hospitals.

Plenty of hospitals with huge markets,food halls, coffee shops and 7/11 next door a good day out for all.???? when you drop have a lay down. edit oh and a free face mask.

Edited by brianthainess

I think we need to rethink the "BORDER RUN" topics, I think the direction changes now, and it's a RUN FOR YOUR LIFE, the Chinese are here and the Thai Arm.. Government is taking care of the problem.

Luckily I have an outward ticket in 5 days .. maybe wear the face mask for the first time ever at Suvarnabhumi, and look panicked in the vincinity of Chinese tour groups.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, White Christmas13 said:

Is that American dollars ?

Yes

the 1% use the strong Thai bath to buy and invest in foreign currency

it should be more convenient for them when they decide to live abroad

far from the sh.t hole they have created (Pollution, garbage, dangerous roads, virus and so on)

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

And there you have it from the man himself.... such compassion !

Keep on spending, profit, profit, profit sod the health issues.
This is now circulating on social media right across the globe, thousands are now either canceling trips to Asian destinations or changing their ideas about bookings to somewhere that cares a little bit more than just money!

Perhaps you could point me in the direction of that non commercial Utopia.

Tourism is measured in dollars in my country as it is everywhere. 

These guys just say what others think.