Yellow Book - Wife's Property We Don't Live In?

My wife and I recently moved back to Thailand and we're renting a place in Bangkok at the moment.  We'll eventually settle down someplace outside of Bangkok and may buy or just continue to rent. 

My wife owns a house up in her hometown but neither of us really want to live there (too far out in the sticks).  We just use it when we go to visit her family. 

Her Blue Book is from that property and I was wondering if it made sense to just have my wife add me so I can get a yellow book. 

It seems like a bigger hassle to get my landlord to add me and given that we plan on making at least one more move and possibly a few more moves over the coming years, I would rather not keep going through the same process over and over again. 

I know that when we bought a car, the dealership sent all of the insurance paperwork to my wife's address in her hometown.  Not sure if that was a mistake or if the dealer was required to send everything to the residence listed on the Blue Book. 

I also don't want to run into issues where I'm told I can only do something back up at the local office (immigration, etc) because that's where my yellow book says I live. 

Any thoughts? 

As far as I'm aware only Thai nationals can be in a blue book.

Think what you mean is to apply for a yellow house book at your wife's house pretty pointles if your not living there very much doubt you could use it for anything outside the given province of your wife's house.

• Like 1

As above, not much use having a yellow book for a place you dont live in, plus you would need to go the ampher where the wifes property is (and prove you live there) to get the yellow book. If yellow book says you live in wifes hometown then thats the immigration office you would need to use, license address etc. You dont get added to the blue book to get a yellow book, we cant go in blue book.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, fourpack said:

As far as I'm aware only Thai nationals can be in a blue book.

Think what you mean is to apply for a yellow house book at your wife's house pretty pointles if your not living there very much doubt you could use it for anything outside the given province of your wife's house.

Yes, I got that process wrong.  I was thinking she would add me as residing in her book so that I could get a yellow book. 

3 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

As above, not much use having a yellow book for a place you dont live in, plus you would need to go the ampher where the wifes property is (and prove you live there) to get the yellow book. If yellow book says you live in wifes hometown then thats the immigration office you would need to use, license address etc. You dont get added to the blue book to get a yellow book, we cant go in blue book.

Was mostly looking to do it to then get an ID card.  Was just reading another thread about someone having problems at Kasikorn getting a new debit card with a PIN because they wanted to see his passport from 22 years ago and some of the hassles he encountered as a result of some computer systems being set up to accept a Thai ID which never changes vs a passport which expires every 10 years. 

With the consent of the blue book holder you can apply for your yellow book. As you plan to change your residence several times before you settle somewhere for the long term, you may want to wait getting the yellow book until you settle down.

31 minutes ago, digibum said:

Was mostly looking to do it to then get an ID card.  Was just reading another thread about someone having problems at Kasikorn getting a new debit card with a PIN because they wanted to see his passport from 22 years ago and some of the hassles he encountered as a result of some computer systems being set up to accept a Thai ID which never changes vs a passport which expires every 10 years. 

The ID card comes from having the yellowbook,the yellow book generates the ID number etc, Its the same information. Most amphears the ID takes 5 minutes to print out after you have a yellow book. Yes a good idea to start with ID card instead of passport for bank, license etc.

Keep in mind if you open a bank account using ID card the account name is in Thai as per the ID. That is then what you use to operate the account  ((renew licence), you cant use passport to operate a Thai name account and vica versa.

15 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

12 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

The ID card comes from having the yellowbook,the yellow book generates the ID number etc, Its the same information. Most amphears the ID takes 5 minutes to print out after you have a yellow book. Yes a good idea to start with ID card instead of passport for bank, license etc.

Keep in mind if you open a bank account using ID card the account name is in Thai as per the ID. That is then what you use to operate the account  ((renew licence), you cant use passport to operate a Thai name account and vica versa.

I use my pink ID card at Kasikorn Bank. Now I don't have to worry about old passports.

Not sure what you are trying to get "added" to, but you cannot be added to a blue book. You can get your own yellow book if you can prove you bought the place with your money(not 100% sure about this) and your wife agrees to grant partial ownership to you.

Edited by paulbrow
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Not sure what you are trying to get "added" to, but you cannot be added to a blue book. You can get your own yellow book if you can prove you bought the place with your money(not 100% sure about this) and your wife agrees to grant partial ownership to you.

The yellow book is your normal place of residence nothing to do with who bought it, you should question your wife about your “ partial ownership “ !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, paulbrow said:

Wrong info.

A yellow house book is based upon a blue house book with consent of the head of household shown in it.

You do not have to be the owner.

17 hours ago, digibum said:

Yes, I got that process wrong.  I was thinking she would add me as residing in her book so that I could get a yellow book. 

You have to go to the local district office (amphoe) where you're actually staying and apply for the yellow house book. When you have the book you can apply for the pink ID-card. The ID-card just verifies that you have a yellow house book.

17 hours ago, digibum said:

The guy with the K-Bank account should have updated his passport data at his branch when he got his new passport ages ago. It's common sense. A pink ID-card is only valid 10 years, unless you're 60 years old or older.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Wrong info.

A yellow house book is based upon a blue house book with consent of the head of household shown in it.

You do not have to be the owner

A good friend has a yellow book and I'd card he rents a condo in Pattaya as long as the lead name in blue book agrees no issue getting yellow book

On 1/28/2020 at 12:19 AM, digibum said:

Her Blue Book is from that property and I was wondering if it made sense to just have my wife add me so I can get a yellow book. 

Why you need a yellow book. 15-years in Thailand, never needed a yellow book for anything. Don't you have a a proper (with owner signed ID card) rental contract? That should be sufficient to establish your residency.

Edited by Vascoda
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Vascoda said:

Why you need a yellow book. 15-years in Thailand, never needed a yellow book for anything. Don't you have a a proper (with owner signed ID card) rental contract? That should be sufficient to establish your residency.

As it saves any hassle when needing a certificate of residence. Just use the yellow book no more begging immigration and paying them tea money. Or getting the immigration officers look or indeed not having anything to do with smug Immigration officers who actually believe there own press.

Is my reason for having it

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/28/2020 at 4:35 PM, Peterw42 said:

My yellow book is in Bangkok but I live in Khon Kaen. I've had no problem getting a visa extension in Khon Kaen, as I never need to show my yellow housebook. In fact, I showed it recently at the KK driving centre and no problem.

There's no need need to get a yellow housebook anyway. 

On 1/30/2020 at 11:05 AM, fourpack said:

As it saves any hassle when needing a certificate of residence. Just use the yellow book no more begging immigration and paying them tea money. Or getting the immigration officers look or indeed not having anything to do with smug Immigration officers who actually believe there own press.

Is my reason for having it

How often have you used your yellow book?

On 1/28/2020 at 7:49 PM, Maestro said:

With the consent of the blue book holder you can apply for your yellow book. As you plan to change your residence several times before you settle somewhere for the long term, you may want to wait getting the yellow book until you settle down.

Once you get the book it's very easy to change, if you want, I've had mine in Bangkok and two other provinces. However, unlike Thais, you need a letter from the former Town Hall to take to the new one.

9 hours ago, Neeranam said:

My yellow book is in Bangkok but I live in Khon Kaen. I've had no problem getting a visa extension in Khon Kaen, as I never need to show my yellow housebook. In fact, I showed it recently at the KK driving centre and no problem.

There's no need need to get a yellow housebook anyway. 

Why would you keep and continue to use a yellow book for a property that you dont live in ? It would be pretty useless unless you want the Bangkok address on a license etc or want to lie about your address.

A yellow book belongs to a property and lists who lives at the property, it doesn't follow you around thailand as you change address.

Edited by Peterw42
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

It would be pretty useless unless you want the Bangkok address on a license etc or want to lie about your address.

He needed it so he could apply for Thai nationality at the office in Bangkok instead of trying to it in his home province.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

He needed it so he could apply for Thai nationality at the office in Bangkok instead of trying to it in his home province.

As I said, telling a fake address.  I imagine it could pose a problem if immigration/police want to do a home visit or send important documents to an address you dont live at, surely it would come to light eventually 

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

As I said, telling a fake address.  I imagine it could pose a problem if immigration/police want to do a home visit or send important documents to an address you dont live at, surely it would come to light eventually 

They have his actual address as well. Special Branch Police in Bangkok encourage people to do it because they are aware of problems with getting it done at the provincial level.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Peterw42 said:

Why would you keep and continue to use a yellow book for a property that you dont live in ? It would be pretty useless unless you want the Bangkok address on a license etc or want to lie about your address.

A yellow book belongs to a property and lists who lives at the property, it doesn't follow you around thailand as you change address.

I was advised to move my yellow housebook to Bangkok when applying for Thai citizenship. 

I think you're mistaken about a yellow book listing all who stay s at a property.