Three new tourists in Phuket suspected of carrying Wuhan virus under observation

snoop1130

Three new tourists in Phuket suspected of carrying Wuhan virus under observation

1580383211_1-org.jpg

Hospital Director Dr Chalermpong Sukontapol at the press conference today (Jan 30). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET:-- Three more tourists in Phuket are suspected of carrying the Wuhan coronavirus and are now in isolation at Vachira Phuket Hospital, Hospital Director Dr Chalermpong Sukontapol announced today (Jan 30).

The new cases bring the total number of people held in isolation in Phuket on suspicion that they may be infected since officials started screening tourists on Jan 5 to 23, Dr Chalermpong told the press while delivering the mandatory “daily update” on the current situation regarding the virus in Phuket, as ordered by national Department of Disease Control Deputy Chief Dr Preecha Prempree.

However, Dr Chalermong failed to explain where the tourists were identified as suspected of being infected with the virus, which country they originated from, how long they had been in Phuket, or even their ages or genders.

Full Story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/three-new-tourists-in-phuket-suspected-of-carrying-wuhan-virus-under-observation-74611.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-01-30

4 hours ago, merijn said:

Why are the borders not closed for flights from and to China ?

Checking the arrival passengers only on temperature is not enough as people can transfer the virus in their incubation period while they don't have any symptoms.

Most other countries stop flying to China completely.

GREED.....

• Like 1

If they do not stop the stream from china who yes are still bringing a small amount to spend but they also bring the virus, there effect on tourism if this gets a hold here will be the nail in the coffin for tourism in the short term and many thai citizens, many countries have stopped flights to mainland china but they are still receiving visa free travel to Thailand.

everybody take care, wipe door handles, wash hands regularly and do things to protect yourself and those around you, unchecked this could get bad if the world allows it.

STOP PRESS      WHO now recognises it as a global problem c'mon Los step up and protect us, please.  

5 hours ago, merijn said:

Checking the arrival passengers only on temperature is not enough as people can transfer the virus in their incubation period while they don't have any symptoms.

I don't think 'most other countries stop flying to China completely' is correct.

This is a battle between on one hand power of social media and on the other hand common sense and financial interests. Common sense and financial interests is winning here, the same in your home country by the way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't think 'most other countries stop flying to China completely' is correct.

This is a battle between on one hand power of social media and on the other hand common sense and financial interests. Common sense and financial interests is winning here, the same in your home country by the way.

Maybe not yet but more and more airlines stop flying on a daily basis.

Same as my home country airline, They will stop flying to China after the weekend.

I know it is a battle between extremes but sometimes extreme measurements are required.

30 minutes ago, merijn said:

Maybe not yet but more and more airlines stop flying on a daily basis.

Same as my home country airline, They will stop flying to China after the weekend.

I know it is a battle between extremes but sometimes extreme measurements are required.

I don't think it is an extreme situation. We have a virus, mainly in China, not very contagious, it doesn't seem very dangerous and the number of deaths so far is far, far less than any common flu.

Imo common sense says to take normal precautions, but I see no reason for the overdone reactions we see in many places, mainly because of social media pressure.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, stevenl said:

I don't think it is an extreme situation. We have a virus, mainly in China, not very contagious, it doesn't seem very dangerous and the number of deaths so far is far, far less than any common flu.

Imo common sense says to take normal precautions, but I see no reason for the overdone reactions we see in many places, mainly because of social media pressure.

The number of confirmed cases is increasing by several thousand per day and more people have died that have recovered, so it is an extreme situation, indeed a global emergency according to WHO. Hardly a 'social media meme.' The virus is extremely dangerous and we need to take stringent precautions. No idea where you're getting your opinion from. Ah.. you work in tourism?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, katatonic said:

The number of confirmed cases is increasing by several thousand per day and more people have died that have recovered, so it is an extreme situation, indeed a global emergency according to WHO. Hardly a 'social media meme.' The virus is extremely dangerous and we need to take stringent precautions. No idea where you're getting your opinion from. Ah.. you work in tourism?

More people have died than have recovered.

Absolutely incorrect. 

See my post, you have addressed one point only, but with incorrect information.

Regarding your ad hominem remark, I like it without Chinese.

Edited by stevenl
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, katatonic said:

WHO has declared it as a global emergency not a pandemic. It is more dangerous than SARS corona virus. ANd it is alos spreading faster. But not sure due to today's increased mobility compared to 2003 SARS. 

1 hour ago, Almer said:

If they do not stop the stream from china who yes are still bringing a small amount to spend

They spend more than farangs but not on prostitues in bars and going bar to bar with a Chang bottle in hand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vascoda said:

They spend more than farangs but not on prostitues in bars and going bar to bar with a Chang bottle in hand.

I believe that Chinese are also farangs in the eye of the Thai.

Yes they are spending but not into the Thai economy as most of it is spend in Chinese owned and controlled businesses.

15 minutes ago, stevenl said:

More people have died than have recovered.

Absolutely incorrect. 

See my post, you have addressed one point only, but with incorrect information.

Regarding your ad hominem remark, I like it without Chinese.

Absolutely correct actually. 213 people have died so far and 187 recovered. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

How is not knowing where you get your very odd and utterly innacurate opinion from 'ad hominem?'

3 minutes ago, katatonic said:

Absolutely correct actually. 213 people have died so far and 187 recovered. https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

How is not knowing where you get your very odd and utterly innacurate opinion from 'ad hominem?'

213 died and how many contracted the virus?

So absolutely incorrect.

Just now, stevenl said:

213 died and how many contracted the virus?

So absolutely incorrect.

It's too early to extrapolate numbers but it sures doesn't good. This site has more detailed statistics: https://bnonews.com/index.php/2020/01/the-latest-coronavirus-cases/

The WHO said as of now mortality is around 2% and 20% of infection are serious. Maybe a lot of them will recover but I heard pneumonia can leave scar in the lung so you never recover 100%.

1 hour ago, stevenl said:

Not very contagious?  Based on what?

14 minutes ago, merijn said:

I believe that Chinese are also farangs in the eye of the Thai.

Yes they are spending but not into the Thai economy as most of it is spend in Chinese owned and controlled businesses.

Chinese are more than farang in the eyes of the Thais as the Chinese Thais have long dominated the Thai economy and politics (and true for most of se asia).

7 hours ago, merijn said:

why ???  $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ also called greedy

15 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Yes all the 20k+ Chinese suspected to have it must've enjoyed a nice bowl of bat soup. 

Sorry, my thoughts were too fast. Omitted, as written a few times before 'outside of china' or 'without direct Chinese contact' 

1 hour ago, ROGER DUNN said:

Case of Stuff the People when we can make Money

Obviously…..without any other similarities, but if wanted and ???? not matters more than life, they could easily have stopped the traffic mayhem on the level it is now long ago.....

10 hours ago, Tayaout said:

The WHO said as of now mortality is around 2% and 20% of infection are serious. Maybe a lot of them will recover but I heard pneumonia can leave scar in the lung so you never recover 100%.

How many days needed from infection till death? So how many days have to calculate back? Calculate with only 5 days interval we get a mortality of 20% which should be more correct then the 2%.