Debt crisis with girlfriend

My girlfriend of 7 years has good government job in Chiang Mai (in my opinion) which pays 38,000/month and provides free housing. She's had this job since being out of university and she's 40 now. Since last year the yearly bonus they receive has been cut from 7% to about 0.7% and she's been having crippling money issues ever since. Sadly this coincided with the one time in the last 10 years I had a good paying job back home and got to save some money (I'm back in Chiang Mai now).

The latest crisis is that apparently she's been ordered to court next month to pay one of the debts which is a personal line of credit that she's been using to pay for other debts (from City Bank). Again, if you can believe it, she claims an old boyfriend before me was able to con her into lending him 1.5 million baht 10+ years ago and she's been on the line for it ever since (500+k left). She also just bought a new car last year (600k) because the old one was starting to fail. (face palm). I still can't believe with her income she's had to resort to taking out debt to pay other debt.

The pressing issue is they've made an offer that if she pays 55k by tomorrow they will reduce the principle by 55k which means she still has to pay 120k by next month. She of course needs the 55k from me.

She's never had a history of asking for money until just this last year but I really find this all impossible to believe due to the utter stupidity of it.

My questions:

1) Does this sound like total nonsense? She's never had a history of lying but this is so insane/stupid and I just can't accept it.

2) What do Thais do in this situation? They already take payments directly out of her paycheck but will they reposes the car or something? My instinct is file for bankruptcy since she has assets besides a car but can you even do that in Thailand? It's so sad but the first 15 years of her working career has resulted in 0 savings, 0 money earning assets and debt. What a shame.

I'd be curious if anyone has any ideas about what I should make of it because I'm in disbelief currently.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Best not to give her money, the requests will never cease, unless you want to pay off the whole debt.

That's what it feels like. I already sent her 6000/month for that last 6 months or so and paid her insurance which was 18k. My fear is that I've unlocked something in her brain and now it's going to be sick Dad next month and then sick buffalo the month after that.

Again she's never had a history of this but it's so suspicious. It feels like giving her money is making her money problems worse and she has no plan into the future even though it's very easy to predict how this needs to managed. 

Speaking of that, why did the bank just decide that it's next month or she's going to court? All she can do is keep making the monthly payment so it doesn't seem to be in the interest of the bank to enforce this arbitrary time limit, unless she's lying to me of course.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

how could have not known, for all those years? 

you could pay it all out in toto...

and have her (and family) agree to, that it's your SinSod done and dusted 

or has she pulled it over their heads, that you still don't know anything? 

and you are being expected to keep up her story...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, genericptr said:

No way can she be trusted with money. That much is clear.

Everyone can make a mistake sometimes, and within reason be forgiven for said mistake.

But if there's a pattern of recurring behavior there, or any evidence of deception/dishonesty on her part, that would be my breaking point.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Yinn said:

the bank send her document about this already.

The loan, and the payment she say they want now. And the 55 discount.

I actually can read Thai (slowly and big words are going to be a problem) and she has the document so I'll have to look it over.

6 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Everyone can make a mistake sometimes, and within reason be forgiven for said mistake.

If I give her the benefit of the doubt then she made one incredibly stupid mistake with her first boyfriend and she's not recovered from it since then. She's not been smart about it though by doing things like buying new cars but she absolutely insists on the car. It's 10k/month for that payment alone.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Honestly, I think it sounds like your girlfriend has a spending problem. 

38K plus free housing is a lot of money, especially for Chiang Mai. She should easily be able to live well and pay off her debt.

Exactly! It's so sad a person at 40 who's been working for 15 years has zero assets. She could have a house paid for in full by now if she was smart about things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1