Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

I like Vietnam, exciting for holidays every time and very cheap.

I would not consider it for living due to:

- no long-term visa available, no matter whether your visa run is after 1 or 3 months (not everybody is American with that special visa)

- need to learn a new language, too much for me now

- worldwide taxation

- too much noise / traffic for my taste

I have been reading that they are cracking down on that business visa, it is essentially a very similar misuse as with the ED visa in Thailand if I am not mistaken.

Since there is no retirement visa, Elite visa etc. in Vietnam as there is in Thailand or the Philippines (SRRV), I would not make any long-term plans there. If you like it, stay in AirBnBs etc. so you can leave when they throw you out.

IMHO with this law change, do you really think they let you do these visa runs every 30 days after 180 days in the country? Most likely they will deny entry, maybe not right away - takes perhaps more time as it did in Thailand.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Just maybe foreigners should stop try to use tourist visas as a way to engage in long stay in all countries they come to. See, problem solved.

Some tourist visas were intended to allow foreigners to stay a long time.

For example the ME TV allowed falangs to stay in the LOS for up to 90 days. The SE TV still allows us to stay for 60 days. Many tourists are often glad to go home before their visa expires.

But it's a bit rich when an IO tells you that a 60 day visa you've just paid a representative of the Thai govt for will not be honoured because that IO decides that you are working in Thailand or 'you come too much'.

Not only might you have to forget the price of the flight you've just paid for but you may also have to buy yet another ticket to go back home.

In my opinion the selling of visas to visitors should be stopped all together till it's decided if they are actually valid or not. Otherwise it's just another scam.

5 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

ok.  Still seems to focus on tourist folks and visas which many retirees and expats really are not.   So maybe there will be other changes that will work better and be more suitable for expats.   Or maybe Vietnam really does not want to make it easy for long stay expats from some or any foreign countries.  Or maybe they do, and are just posturing and creating new ways to handle retirements, or not.  The tuber claimed no direct changes to many other Visa types such as Marriage for instance.

And as far as official, well, a Youtuber that says he talked to an immigration officer, while interesting and good to know is far from complete. 

Well some stuff in there is quite hardcore.... but totally expected.

On a recent two day trip to Malaysia, Vietnam immigration stripped me of my two year TRC visa and issued me with a three month tourist visa. Now I don't qualify for a driver's licence and recently the bank cancelled my savings account. I have lived here for 12 years and don't know what I'll do in three months. Does anyone know if marrying a Vietnamese citizen would allow better options?

I have a long time relationship( several years) with a Vietnamese lady with two children. They of course would lose a defacto husband/father.

Inb4 marriage rate in vietnam exploding ...

I will never understand how people can base their life on these pseudo visas anywhere in the world.

3 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Some tourist visas were intended to allow foreigners to stay a long time.

For example the ME TV allowed falangs to stay in the LOS for up to 90 days. The SE TV still allows us to stay for 60 days. Many tourists are often glad to go home before their visa expires.

But it's a bit rich when an IO tells you that a 60 day visa you've just paid a representative of the Thai govt for will not be honoured because that IO decides that you are working in Thailand or 'you come too much'.

Not only might you have to forget the price of the flight you've just paid for but you may also have to buy yet another ticket to go back home.

In my opinion the selling of visas to visitors should be stopped all together till it's decided if they are actually valid or not. Otherwise it's just another scam.

Don't believe everything you read on annoymous forums by first time posters and many were caught on the forums as BS. I have never had a friend rejected and know of nobody that has on the right visa 

On 1/31/2020 at 9:09 AM, poohy said:

Please its

kibosh NOT Kasbach!!

I think he was stopping doing something and being a bachelor too....

Lovely word, KYBOSH in Scrabble too. 

Anyway, another advantage of Thailand over Vietnam is that they have one of the best Scrabble scenes in the world if not THE best. 

Even if I failed to beat a 15 year old Thai in the Khon Kaen N/E Scrabble championships at the weekend!

Rooster

PS. My brother who has lived and worked in Vietnam for 10 years can't wait to retire - and come and live in Thailand where he has a condo in Bangkok. 

5 minutes ago, Jane Dough said:

I think he was stopping doing something and being a bachelor too....

Lovely word, KYBOSH in Scrabble too. 

Anyway, another advantage of Thailand over Vietnam is that they have one of the best Scrabble scenes in the world if not THE best. 

Even if I failed to beat a 15 year old Thai in the Khon Kaen N/E Scrabble championships at the weekend!

Rooster

PS. My brother who has lived and worked in Vietnam for 10 years can't wait to retire - and come and live in Thailand where he has a condo in Bangkok. 

Is that your older or younger brother - Rooster60 or Rooster58?

On 1/31/2020 at 8:45 AM, GeorgeCross said:

Thailand clamps down on visa requirements

foreigners flee to nearby countries

nearby countries clamp down on visas

foreigners ______ ??

............ go back to Spanish Harlem..........or so the song says.

15 minutes ago, madmen said:

Don't believe everything you read on annoymous forums by first time posters and many were caught on the forums as BS. I have never had a friend rejected and know of nobody that has on the right visa 

Well it's happened to a friend of mine twice. I did not read about it on any forum he told me about it in person! He's a straight forward retiree who holidays regularly in Pattaya. He was grilled each time (once for 40 minutes) in an interview room and it certainly shook him up. All his documents were in order and he's got plenty of money.

How do I or anyone else who happens to be a regular visitor know whether or not we won't get the same treatment next time we come to the LOS.

How do you know you won't?

If ever it gets really out of hand word will spread and falangs will stop coming. The Mail on Line and Fox News would wet themselves if the Thais were said to be picking on Westerners. Even the BBC is not flavour of the month with the Thai govt. Then their beloved Chinese and Indian neighbours would have to step into the breach to take up the slack.

However it's their country and if they no longer want falangs to visit then they should say so before we fork out on dodgy visas, flights and hotels. Most of us would fully understand that and possibly sympathise with 'em. Only the girls and their hangers on along with the bar owners would miss us.

1 hour ago, yogi100 said:

I wonder if you could take the consulate/embassy to court in your home country.

Not only for the VISA, but all expenses.

3 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Agreed! They should also set up clear rules that states how much a person can stay per year and still be called a tourist. I would put it on maximum 90 days.

2 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Well it's happened to a friend of mine twice. I did not read about it on any forum he told me about it in person! He's a straight forward retiree who holidays regularly in Pattaya. He was grilled each time (once for 40 minutes) in an interview room and it certainly shook him up. All his documents were in order and he's got plenty of money.

How do I or anyone else who happens to be a regular visitor know whether or not we won't get the same treatment next time we come to the LOS.

How do you know you won't?

If ever it gets really out of hand word will spread and falangs will stop coming. The Mail on Line and Fox News would wet themselves if the Thais were said to be picking on Westerners. Even the BBC is not flavour of the month with the Thai govt. Then their beloved Chinese and Indian neighbours would have to step into the breach to take up the slack.

However it's their country and if they no longer want falangs to visit then they should say so before we fork out on dodgy visas, flights and hotels. Most of us would fully understand that and possibly sympathise with 'em. Only the girls and their hangers on along with the bar owners would miss us.

I know at least 20 people that are regular traveller's myself included, never in 10 years any problems. You know of one 

.There is no reason for it UNLESS it's completely obvious they are not tourists. I suspect as desperate expats who got caught out scamming embassy letters start to try scamming the visa system instead and threads will start to pop up "help had a visa and I'm in detention... Blah. 

Blah 

Blah

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah I just spoke on the phone with my VN visa agent and she said we can still get 1 yr visas but have to do the in and out. I always get a 1yr. 

The only question I have is after July if you have an existing visa do you still need to start with the 30 day visa runs or will that only apply to new visas obtained after July. Can anyone clarify? Either way even if pre July visas are exempt from the 30 day runs that's only a temporary benefit. 

On 1/31/2020 at 1:49 PM, DavidB4 said:

Consider Georgia, the country not the state. IF your primary interest is not chasing skirts because that doesn't work well here. Very inexpensive, good food, nice apartments at good rates and 1 year visa free, and repeatable. Also very inexpensive flight options to neighboring countries, like round-trip to Santorini for under $100, total! 

+1

Definitely. If I wasn't stuck here with a family that is absolutely where I would go. Beautiful weather. Real seasons, not just 6 months of hot and 6 months of unbearably hot. They've even got skiing in parts of the country. Non CRS reporting and tax haven-ish. Great wine. Cheap everything.  Fantastic old architecture. Traffic not even close to as bad as Bangkok. And if you do like to chase skirts, thousands of drop dead gorgeous Ukranian hookers that will be happy to hang out with you as long as your wallet can handle it.

What's not to love. Someone mentioned that Tblisi had the worst air quality in Europe.  And yet you live in Thailand? I'd rather live in the worst mansion in Beverly Hills than what passes for an acceptable rat hole in Hollywood.

10 hours ago, El Matador said:

You also have the social visa which allows you stay up to 180 days : https://baliinformationguide.com/social-cultural-visa-bali/

I talked with people in Bali who did it many times in a row.

And I was surprised to be welcomed with a big smile by the Indonesian officer in Bali.

South East Asia has many wonderful options. Don't fall in love too much with one specific place and get a solid plan B in case things turn worse. You could also alternate countries and avoid those the questions from people who consider you stay too much time in their country although you paid for the visa. Rainy seasons are at the opposite time beween Thailand and Indonesia so there is another good excuse to move around.

Thanks, but its not cheap. Plus it has to be obtained out of country or through border runs. I have reached the age where I wish to retire in peace, long term, without doing border runs.

Bali also taxes you on income from abroad. Though I have yet to find out if this is enforced?

As with anywhere, there are agents and ways around things but I do not want the hassle.

Bali remains a plan B requiring more info.

18 minutes ago, DaRoadrunner said:

Thanks, but its not cheap. Plus it has to be obtained out of country or through border runs. I have reached the age where I wish to retire in peace, long term, without doing border runs.

Bali also taxes you on income from abroad. Though I have yet to find out if this is enforced?

As with anywhere, there are agents and ways around things but I do not want the hassle.

Bali remains a plan B requiring more info.

I understand you. I am in my late 30's so moving around is still not too much of a problem.

Have you checked Philippines?

I think they have a really good retirement visa : https://www.philembassy.no/consular-services/visa/special-resident-retirees-visa-srrv

I don't have any first hand informations but it looks good on the paper and Pinay people are friendly and speak good English which is a nice bonus. You also can get a retirement visa at only 35 years old if you have enough funds.

If taxation is really your main concern, then Malaysia is the best country which comes to mind in the region. But much less fun than other options to me.

On 1/31/2020 at 9:07 PM, Gweiloman said:

I believe you are mistaken about the resident card with regards to Malaysia. I know quite a few expats on the MM2H scheme and no one has ever mentioned this. 

Apparently, Malaysia is tightening up on their "MM2H" retirement visa. The stated rationale is similar to Thailand's: to crack down on foreign criminals and money laundering. (See:

https://www.malaymail.com/news/malaysia/2019/03/04/report-putrajaya-tightens-checks-on-expat-retirement-programme/1728776 )

In practice, however, applicants have reported being rejected for MM2H visas simply for having "military or security related employment" in their history or being from a "blue collar" profession. Recent applications from US civil service employees (a doctor and IT applicants) have also been rejected.

On 1/31/2020 at 11:15 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

And absolutely horrible air pollution in the capital: https://www.georgianjournal.ge/society/34468-tbilisi-among-dangerous-cities-in-europe-where-air-pollution-is-high.html

I love georgia but that one alone is a dealbreaker,

Sarajevo top of the list a few days ago.  Belgrade also bad.  All have valley conditions...(whatever's it called; warmer air gets trapped in winter.)  Not from industrial activity, it is lots of old cars and lots of coal-burning in winter.

14 minutes ago, Cat ji said:

Sarajevo top of the list a few days ago.  Belgrade also bad.  All have valley conditions...(whatever's it called; warmer air gets trapped in winter.)  Not from industrial activity, it is lots of old cars and lots of coal-burning in winter.

I think the term is called "inversion weather" - italy has the same issue in winter. 

However there's another problem in tbilisi, it's not only small particles (pm2.5) - it's also gases SO2 and NOx.

According to this research Tbilisi is the worlds most deadly air: https://www.georgianjournal.ge/society/32635-georgia-no-1-among-the-countries-that-have-deadliest-air-pollution.html 

I don't know how this compares to BKK but the chart alone turns me off :(( I was already checking out georgia and like it.

Batumi seems fine tho but it's a typical gold coast tourist city - not much going on there besides that.

3 hours ago, Monomial said:

[...]

And if you do like to chase skirts, thousands of drop dead gorgeous Ukranian hookers that will be happy to hang out with you as long as your wallet can handle it.

Just not the ladyboys. (Maybe not applicable to most tvf members, but still.)

Anyway, i'm not sure promoting it here is a good thing.

Yes, 12 months, no visa, just my passport.

- Which reminds me, I saw today that EU/Schengen visa prices being increased, substantially.  It's really expensive now.  And for me, the added expense of an expensive trip to the capital city - flights, taxis, overnight hotel. (Because of the biometrics.)

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

$50 for a 5 year multiple entry marriage visa.

If this law does come in after the 1st July, there are going to be a lot of fake Vietnamese / Foreigner marriages in the second half of 2020.  ????

well, you make a good point.  When one route is plugged, people will look for other routes to go.

Archived