Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Vigilante said:

Foreigners in PH/VN have less rights than in Thai?

Is that even possible?

..because I'm not aware of any 'rights' here as a farang.

Yes, way more. You are just talking out of your ass.

Property rights, easy to control land here, no such thing as usufruct on a chanote exist in ph, also we have the sap ing sith act now that makes it even easier for foreigners.

In the phils, everyone just gives the land to their ph wife, no other way.

Company rights are the same, only 40% ownership allowed, nothing like a thai ltd available, company secretary must be filipino. Costs 200k usd to setup a company that you can effectively control as a foreigner there.

The whole law system in PH is an absolute mess, not even filipino lawyers understand it.

If you've never done business anywhere here you might not be able to grasp the differences, but it's apparent. 

I wouldn't live in Ph if they pay me, just had an acquaintance killed there 2 months ago - a german guy, was running a business, got shot in the head during daytime.

9 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Yes, way more. You are just talking out of your ass.

Property rights, easy to control land here, no such thing as usufruct on a chanote exist in ph, also we have the sap ing sith act now that makes it even easier for foreigners.

In the phils, everyone just gives the land to their ph wife, no other way.

Company rights are the same, only 40% ownership allowed, nothing like a thai ltd available, company secretary must be filipino. Costs 200k usd to setup a company that you can effectively control as a foreigner there.

The whole law system in PH is an absolute mess, not even filipino lawyers understand it.

If you've never done business anywhere here you might not be able to grasp the differences, but it's apparent. 

I wouldn't live in Ph if they pay me, just had an acquaintance killed there 2 months ago - a german guy, was running a business, got shot in the head during daytime.

Usufruct? Good luck with that..  and what exactly is a 'sap ing sith'?

Legit question

Seems I have missed a few episodes

On 1/31/2020 at 8:49 AM, elephant45 said:

They got what they needed from us, tech training in thousands of areas etc.,  so no longer necessary. "You can go now"

It doesn't seem like that tech training is complete yet, and how many long-term visitors are involved in giving it? Westerners can make quite a bit selling legitimate tech training and certification... helping with exams etc.. Once Asia is all locked up, there's always Africa ????

On 2/9/2020 at 9:58 AM, Leaver said:

It will be interesting to see the going rate a bar girl will charge to sign a marriage certificate.

Marriage visa is a 5 year multiple entry visa for around $50. 

A particuarly savvy young woman I know in Thailand, offered THB60,000/month to play wifey... and of course, she fully intended to carry on as usual. Quite a good deal for her, and if you like all her friends, I guess she might even add on a introduction commission for each. Sounds expensive.

I guess in Vietnam, the going rate might be less, and in your FTA negotiation with her, you can pitch the benefits available with citizenship of your country. Whatever happened to love, hey? It's a sad, broken world we live in, people willing to behave callously whenever they think they have an edge.

On 2/9/2020 at 11:22 AM, ThomasThBKK said:

Why good luck? I got lifetime usufructs on all my properties.

Sap ing sith...: https://www.tilleke.com/resources/thailand-–-new-type-transferable-right-use-immovable-property

What happens when the wife dies? She needs to have a will to keep it with someone she wants and away from the grabby-give me-give me-grabby loos. 30 years is enough then it can be renewed. But is the agreement void if the owner dies?

11 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

What happens when the wife dies? She needs to have a will to keep it with someone she wants and away from the grabby-give me-give me-grabby loos. 30 years is enough then it can be renewed. But is the agreement void if the owner dies?

Idk what you are talking about, i have no wife and don't see why people should be married.

In other news, vietnam just got caught red handed by facebook in a russia like campaign: https://www.ft.com/content/1096ad54-4d5f-11ea-95a0-43d18ec715f5

But Wednesday’s takedown marks the first time a corporation has been accused of handling its own disinformation campaign to target rivals. An independent analysis by the Atlantic Council’s Digital Forensic Research Lab found that some of the pages “started out on a very patriotic and nationalist tone” before shifting to “content promoting the Mytel brand”. Others were directly critical of Mytel rivals Ooredoo, MPT and Telenor. Facebook also linked Gapit Communications, a Vietnam-based press relations company, to the campaign. The pages, followed by 265,600 accounts, were tied to about $1.2m worth of Facebook advertising, the Silicon Valley internet group added.

On 2/12/2020 at 4:30 PM, Jare said:

A particuarly savvy young woman I know in Thailand, offered THB60,000/month to play wifey..

I wouldn't call that "savvy."  I would call that stupid, and what's citizenship in the foreigner's country have to do with it?  The local girl doesn't have to leave the bar, or Thailand, or Vietnam, for that matter.

It's about signing a marriage certificate so the foreigner can stay, not about getting a girl citizenship of a foreign country.   

11 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I am under the belief a farang husband can remain in the property for 12 months, in which time the property must be transferred into another Thai name. 

I was under the belief you can live in it forever, but you can't register the property in your name.

(So you just leave it in your dead wife's name)

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I was under the belief you can live in it forever, but you can't register the property in your name.

(So you just leave it in the dead wife's name)

I don't own property here, and never will.  I looked into it a while ago, and early on in my research I decided it's of no benefit for me. 

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can clarify and confirm. 

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

(So you just leave it in your dead wife's name)

My question is, yes there is an agreement cannot be kicked out, and we can own the house but not the land, but if some hot head family member Thai contests it, then is it mandatory the property is sold? Crazy world here province to province. 

5 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

but if some hot head family member Thai contests it, then is it mandatory the property is sold?

That was my understanding, and of course, sold to another family member, in order to get rid of the farang living in it.  

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

I don't own property here, and never will.  I looked into it a while ago, and early on in my research I decided it's of no benefit for me. 

Perhaps someone more knowledgeable on the subject can clarify and confirm. 

I have poured tons of money into things here and including a house. My family is great and we are basically loners, but the Thai law is strange as allows the next bigger person of the deceased, sister or mother get a grab on or in it. As for me, it only includes my wife's daughter and our son and daughter, but there is a despicable older sister out there who would not hesitate to try to run in. That is if she knew the laws. My kids would never. they are so nice as people go. But besides the older sister there are two younger ones as well. Thailand does not guarantee us sanctity and peace of mind even though we put the money all up. This is why this country sucks in a big way. Besides we cannot get PR or citizenship = fat chance. Racist and corrupt and the way it is. It is always who is smarter to take all Thai to VS  Thai, and then add a foreigner in the mix, and we are second fiddle as we are F'D or could be. . 

On 1/31/2020 at 4:18 PM, AAArdvark said:

I don't doubt you but do you have any background on those reports about the Philippines, like where can I see them?  I ask because I am heading there in a month.

Duterte, just last week, gave the US the middle finger (again!). They have just terminated the VFA (Visiting Forces Agreement) due to the US meddling in their domestic affairs (refusing diplomatic visas and threatening to terminate aid, etc etc) and all US troops will be gone in 6 months. Duterte is leaning toward China and Russia and turned a blind eye to China's island building. China is investing a lot of money in the Philippines and will gladly fill the void left by the US evacuation of military bases. You can look forward to some big changes in the future. Nothing stays the same.

5 minutes ago, tropo said:

Duterte, just last week, gave the US the middle finger (again!). They have just terminated the VFA (Visiting Forces Agreement) due to the US meddling in their domestic affairs (refusing diplomatic visas and threatening to terminate aid, etc etc) and all US troops will be gone in 6 months. Duterte is leaning toward China and Russia and turned a blind eye to China's island building. China is investing a lot of money in the Philippines and will gladly fill the void left by the US evacuation of military bases. You can look forward to some big changes in the future. Nothing stays the same.

tropo. great you caught that. I have the same thoughts. PI USA expats are in trouble there. Duterte is a dirt bag. 

9 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

All the last 20 or 30 postings have to do exactly what with Vietnam?

Quite a lot actually! Situation is similar in Vietnam. Plus there are few proper property records and the Commy Govt does as it pleases.

You do have a point though, this thread is supposed to be about Vietnam! You just can't get good moderators like you used to!

14 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

All the last 20 or 30 postings have to do exactly what with Vietnam?

Yes, we have wandered off topic.

I will look on with interest come the 1st July. 

I doubt there will be a mass exodus from Vietnam because of this visa change, but who knows? 

57 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

tropo. great you caught that. I have the same thoughts. PI USA expats are in trouble there. Duterte is a dirt bag. 

I don't agree that Duterte is a dirtbag. Very many things have improved since he became president and he cares deeply about his people. His 90% plus approval rating attests to that. You'll not find a leader who cares more about his people. OK, so he was tough on drug dealers? So what? Before he was president I had family members picking up drugs at the corner store for 200 pesos. (indirectly I was paying for the drugs and also the many problems these drug addictions caused). Every man and his dog was using shabu (yabba). That's over now. I can go on and on about the improvement of life for the poorest of Filipinos.

It will be interesting to see if US expats have extra hoops to jump through. I think they will.  

3 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

I have poured tons of money into things here and including a house. My family is great and we are basically loners, but the Thai law is strange as allows the next bigger person of the deceased, sister or mother get a grab on or in it. As for me, it only includes my wife's daughter and our son and daughter, but there is a despicable older sister out there who would not hesitate to try to run in. That is if she knew the laws. My kids would never. they are so nice as people go. But besides the older sister there are two younger ones as well. Thailand does not guarantee us sanctity and peace of mind even though we put the money all up. This is why this country sucks in a big way. Besides we cannot get PR or citizenship = fat chance. Racist and corrupt and the way it is. It is always who is smarter to take all Thai to VS  Thai, and then add a foreigner in the mix, and we are second fiddle as we are F'D or could be. . 

One deals with estate issues with effective estate  planning and competent legal counsel. And yes, it is possible in Thailand. The reason so many people have problems is that they try and cut corners, to do it on the cheap. Whenever estate issues arise, someone with no legal education or with actual experience in settling a valuable estate chimes in with an opinion based upon conjecture or hearsay. Quality legal counsel costs money. Good people do not work for peanuts, and in Thailand, one must expect to pay a  premium commensurate with the difficulties that attach to the environment.  Common sense must be used. One of the tip offs for me when  a person is giving poor estate advice is when he doesn't  address the need for  reliable executors, and yes one needs more than one for checks and balances. Some people have dubiously sourced assets or have not paid taxes and seek to  continue their deviousness, well at some point the house of cards collapses. There are many people here who have  taken the time and effort and paid for proper estate planning, and they didn't get it from some shyster in a back alley.

2 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Indeed he is and he is in serious  trouble with his economy.  Like the Thai generals, he hung on to the coat tails of the  Chinese. Along has come Covid-19. It has hammered the Chinese economy  and we will soon see this reflected in the cessation of kickbacks, payoffs, donations, subsidies and other  grease that lubricates the corrupt regimes of the world. 

The country in the strongest position in the region is  self sufficient Vietnam. They don't need China and have the  factories  and  labour that can pick up some of the slack. Vietnamese small manufacturing, show and clothing factories were hurt hard by Chinese policies. Covid-19 is a game changer. The quick action of closing Vietnam's borders to China acted to protect the country and  I believe that in a month, Vietnam's decision makers will be looked upon as geniuses. If the Vietnamese can protect their country from the widescale infections as seen in China, they may be able to protect their tourism sector. Vietnam's approach  has been very different than Thailand's. If Vietnam  is right, it  will be the  game changer in tourism.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I don't agree that Duterte is a dirtbag. Very many things have improved since he became president and he cares deeply about his people. His 90% plus approval rating attests to that. You'll not find a leader who cares more about his people. OK, so he was tough on drug dealers? So what? Before he was president I had family members picking up drugs at the corner store for 200 pesos. (indirectly I was paying for the drugs and also the many problems these drug addictions caused). Every man and his dog was using shabu (yabba). That's over now. I can go on and on about the improvement of life for the poorest of Filipinos.

It will be interesting to see if US expats have extra hoops to jump through. I think they will.  

Duterte is indeed a game changer. A bigoted, sexist thug who has allowed and encouraged extra judicial killings. Many innocent people  have been murdered under the  cover of fighting a "drug war".  There is a long list of  abuse of power, of violation of basic human rights and other basic violations of the rule of law, that Duterte will at some point be pursued for "Crimes Against Humanity".

US expats are in a very strong position, as are Canadians.  Over 1/10 the  of the  country's population work in foreign countries, sending home an estimated US $32 billion, which  is more than 10% of the Philippines GDP.  Much of that money flow depends upon US or Canadian banking facilities, even though 1/4 of the workers are seafarers and a large number are in the Middle East. Duterte received a schooling in reality when he threatened the usually weak  PM of Canada. He was reminded that  filippinos in Canada send back US $1 billion and that it could easily be stopped with one directive.  Duterte  became quite conciliatory following that  reminder. Now consider what happens if the US Treasury says no to him. He can huff and puff all he wants but at some point he backs down as do all bullies. This is quite the cotrast to the Vietnamese.  Vietname seeks to be self sufficient. It also embarked on special trade deals with the EU, Canada and the USA. Vietnam is in a much better  position to  grow its economy  in that regard  than Thailand is. As we all know,  improved economic links facilitate  ease of visas and  foreign visits. One need only look at the changes that followed the signing of trade agreements with  South Korea.

4 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

One deals with estate issues with effective estate  planning and competent legal counsel. And yes, it is possible in Thailand. The reason so many people have problems is that they try and cut corners, to do it on the cheap. Whenever estate issues arise, someone with no legal education or with actual experience in settling a valuable estate chimes in with an opinion based upon conjecture or hearsay. Quality legal counsel costs money. Good people do not work for peanuts, and in Thailand, one must expect to pay a  premium commensurate with the difficulties that attach to the environment.  Common sense must be used. One of the tip offs for me when  a person is giving poor estate advice is when he doesn't  address the need for  reliable executors, and yes one needs more than one for checks and balances. Some people have dubiously sourced assets or have not paid taxes and seek to  continue their deviousness, well at some point the house of cards collapses. There are many people here who have  taken the time and effort and paid for proper estate planning, and they didn't get it from some shyster in a back alley.

Indeed he is and he is in serious  trouble with his economy.  Like the Thai generals, he hung on to the coat tails of the  Chinese. Along has come Covid-19. It has hammered the Chinese economy  and we will soon see this reflected in the cessation of kickbacks, payoffs, donations, subsidies and other  grease that lubricates the corrupt regimes of the world. 

The country in the strongest position in the region is  self sufficient Vietnam. They don't need China and have the  factories  and  labour that can pick up some of the slack. Vietnamese small manufacturing, show and clothing factories were hurt hard by Chinese policies. Covid-19 is a game changer. The quick action of closing Vietnam's borders to China acted to protect the country and  I believe that in a month, Vietnam's decision makers will be looked upon as geniuses. If the Vietnamese can protect their country from the widescale infections as seen in China, they may be able to protect their tourism sector. Vietnam's approach  has been very different than Thailand's. If Vietnam  is right, it  will be the  game changer in tourism.

Duterte is indeed a game changer. A bigoted, sexist thug who has allowed and encouraged extra judicial killings. Many innocent people  have been murdered under the  cover of fighting a "drug war".  There is a long list of  abuse of power, of violation of basic human rights and other basic violations of the rule of law, that Duterte will at some point be pursued for "Crimes Against Humanity".

US expats are in a very strong position, as are Canadians.  Over 1/10 the  of the  country's population work in foreign countries, sending home an estimated US $32 billion, which  is more than 10% of the Philippines GDP.  Much of that money flow depends upon US or Canadian banking facilities, even though 1/4 of the workers are seafarers and a large number are in the Middle East. Duterte received a schooling in reality when he threatened the usually weak  PM of Canada. He was reminded that  filippinos in Canada send back US $1 billion and that it could easily be stopped with one directive.  Duterte  became quite conciliatory following that  reminder. Now consider what happens if the US Treasury says no to him. He can huff and puff all he wants but at some point he backs down as do all bullies. This is quite the cotrast to the Vietnamese.  Vietname seeks to be self sufficient. It also embarked on special trade deals with the EU, Canada and the USA. Vietnam is in a much better  position to  grow its economy  in that regard  than Thailand is. As we all know,  improved economic links facilitate  ease of visas and  foreign visits. One need only look at the changes that followed the signing of trade agreements with  South Korea.

The way you're talking you'd think Canada and the US are doing the Philippines a favour by allowing family members to send money to their families in the Philippines. You're dreaming up scenarios that will never happen. Thinking that the US or Canada will stop the flow of earnings back to the Philippines is ludicrous. You can't even spell "filippinos" (are you being purposefully derogatory?), but what you fail to understand is that a large majority of Filipinos working in the US and Canada are US and Canadian citizens. That makes them voters, btw. Some leaders around the world may hate Duterte, just as millions hate Trump, but the 2 countries will not become enemies over it. Trump and Duterte had a "perfect" meeting in November 2017. He actually praised Duterte's war on drugs.

All the nonsense you've been spouting is from the fake news you've been reading too much of. I never get my information on the Philippines from international (Western) media. They put the wrong spin on everything. It would be like trying to learn about Trump by watching to CNN.  

Archived