Vietnam puts the kibosh on foreigners

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

The only question I have is after July if you have an existing visa do you still need to start with the 30 day visa runs or will that only apply to new visas obtained after July. Can anyone clarify? Either way even if pre July visas are exempt from the 30 day runs that's only a temporary benefit. 

My bet is on the monthly running immediately comes into effect. I always only get stamped in for 3 months at a time on my multiple 1 yr. But then I only ever stay a week at a time. If you have to leave every month, then my question is how many times can you go to Cambodia in 1 yr. It makes it extremely difficult now to hop borders every month and even to include flying into Thailand repeatedly. The coming into Thailand will close up really fast. So essentially for retired guys Vietnam is dead. 

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Cat ji said:

Just not the ladyboys. (Maybe not applicable to most tvf members, but still.)

Anyway, i'm not sure promoting it here is a good thing.

Yes, 12 months, no visa, just my passport.

- Which reminds me, I saw today that EU/Schengen visa prices being increased, substantially.  It's really expensive now.  And for me, the added expense of an expensive trip to the capital city - flights, taxis, overnight hotel. (Because of the biometrics.)

Yes some price increase but now they have 5 year shengen visa!

So in reality they are opening up, only 1 visa fee for 5 year visa, which is great.

Will make us spend more time in europe. 

The new rules also permit applications to be submitted for a maximum of 6 months, and no later than 15 days, before the trip. So far, the maximum period has been 3 months. In addition, the EU intends to introduce a harmonized approach to the issuing of multiple entry visas to regular travelers with a positive visa history for a period, which increases gradually from 1 to 5 years.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/schengen-visa-prices-to-increase-from-january-2020/

Getting a 5 year shengen visa for my gf would make our live easier, we find it extremely annoying to apply for visas too often even if we get them easily, it's just a pain (i dont need one but she does obviously). 

They also make it easier (more clear) to apply: 

“The new rules will provide faster and clearer procedures for legitimate travelers, in particular by: allowing for applications to be lodged up to 6 months, and no later than 15 days, before the trip. Providing for the possibility of the application form to be filled in and signed electronically, introducing a harmonized approach to the issuing of multiple entry visas to regular travelers with a positive visa history for a period which increases gradually from 1 to 5 years,” the press release reads.

32 minutes ago, Vascoda said:

It is always women (or prostitutes).

Because home country prostitutes have become expensive for farangs and they won't accompany you to places and won't allow to call them GFs without extra charges. And home country prostitutes prefer Arab men who could travel there frequently.

Gotta feel sorry for the guys that fled Thailand and all the expenses that go with relocation and setting up house and signing leases only to get completely screwed over 

They were all warned about SEA tightening visa rules but they wouldn't listen 

Well done to the expats that saw the writing on the wall and remain firmly in Thailand 

8 minutes ago, madmen said:

Gotta feel sorry for the guys that fled Thailand and all the expenses that go with relocation and setting up house and signing leases only to get completely screwed over 

Well done to the expats that saw the writing on the wall and remain firmly in Thailand 

Yes it is a big whammy to the guy n girls who jumped the Thailand ship. But with research this should have been known even last year. It wasn't covered up.

29 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Easy enough to find a local woman to marry, then you get a 5 year VISA for $50.

I would kiss the ground if Thailand follows the path of the 5 year marriage visa. I wouldn't ever bellyache about TM30 or 90 day check ins ever again. Heck, the immigration could even come on over to my house every 2 years and have a drink or two. But for $50 bucks it aint gonna happen here like that. More like $500.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Easy enough to find a local woman to marry, then you get a 5 year VISA for $50.

You mean like paying a hooker? That wont be cheap and then she won't divorce without more money along with threats to go to the police. You're welcome to that powder keg! 

3 hours ago, madmen said:

But it's not that simple, is it?

A lot of people have left Thailand and will leave in future because of issues with the visa system here, particularly the major changes that occurred in the last year or so.

Of course those changes didn't impact everybody, but they certainly did impact a significant percentage of settled expats here.

So they had to go somewhere, or back home.

I don't think it's always so easy to predict which country is going to do what at any point in time, but personally I have never seen Vietnam as a credible destination for long term retired expats.

Others saw it differently. 

Personally I would predict that the Philippines will continue to allow people to live there indefinitely on in country extensions and visa runs every three years. But I might be wrong about that too, but at least there, there is the SRRV backup option.

8 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

But it's not the simple, is it?

A lot of people have left Thailand and will leave in future because of issues with the visa system here.

So they had to go somewhere, or back home.

I don't think it's always so easy to predict which country is going to do what at any point in time, but personally I have never seen Vietnam as a credible destination for long term retired expats.

Others saw it differently. 

Personally I would predict that the Philippines will continue to allow people to live there indefinitely on in country extensions and visa runs every three years. But I might be wrong about that too, but at least there, there is the SRRV backup option.

I believe Philippines is probably the best choice for those that are facing difficulties staying in Thailand. The Filipinos are a very friendly group of people and the most welcoming to westerners among all the SEA countries. An added bonus is that a large proportion of the population speaks English (to a certain extent). 

It has its problems of course. Infrastructure, medical facilities are not up to the standard. Local food is mediocre at best. Some more well heeled expats will not consider PI as a suitable alternative but they don’t have to - they can afford the financial requirements of staying in Thailand. For those that are struggling due to financial matters, then PI seems like a good alternative. 

Caveat: if they think that Filipinas are less ‘money faced’ , they are in for a shock. 

OK that would make sense.

Basically, you pay a travel agency, they corrupt the inmigration agent and you extend by one month.

More money for travel agents and inmigration guys. More bureaucracy for you.

That seems better than being forced to fly after one month. But yeah they won't let down that juicy business ; that's why I was doubtful about that law before. They will make it even better for them so it makes perfect sense.

4 minutes ago, El Matador said:

OK that would make sense.

Basically, you pay a travel agency, they corrupt the inmigration agent and you extend by one month.

More money for travel agents and inmigration guys. More bureaucracy for you.

That seems better than being forced to fly after one month. But yeah they won't let down that juicy business ; that's why I was doubtful about that law before. They will make it even better for them so it makes perfect sense.

Yeah, basically, the BEST case scenario if you are a DL tourist visa holder (regardless of the length—90 days, 1 year), you will have to apply for an extension every 30 days (sending your passport along with paperwork and waiting 5 days) to stay in country for an additional 30 days. Otherwise, you will have to make a border run every 30 days

3 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Otherwise, you will have to make a border run every 30 days

I knew loads of guys in Chiang Mai doing border runs to Mae Sai every 14 days. It didn't seem to bother them.

As for Vietnam, the Cambodian border is only a couple of hours ($6 bus) out from Saigon.

14 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I knew loads of guys in Chiang Mai doing border runs to Mae Sai every 14 days. It didn't seem to bother them.

As for Vietnam, the Cambodian border is only a couple of hours ($6 bus) out from Saigon.

That’s crazy. Mai Sai is a 4 hr drive each way and they do this every 14 days? By minivan? Why are they so desperate to remain in Thailand?

I can't see that lasting very much longer. 

They're all aware of people staying by doing visa runs.  Then it depends on who's running the show, which faction/group and so on.

Then add to that the tendency for more/better computer systems to be developed.  And interconnected.  Increasing tendency, even if gradual.

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

That’s crazy. Mai Sai is a 4 hr drive each way and they do this every 14 days? By minivan? Why are they so desperate to remain in Thailand?

They don't want to change.  Doing that is easier for them than a big change. ...Especially as they get older.

What is wrong with you? Lots of guys left because of the TM30 and 90 days. A walk in the park compared to the incredible inconvenience of getting booted out of the country every 30 days 

On 1/31/2020 at 9:48 AM, Mike Teavee said:

Malaysia has a well established long term visa (MM2H), financial requirements are much higher than Thailand but it's there for anybody who's looking at a place to stay long term in the region... 

I'm not sure whether you're aware there are quite a lot of westerners who are Islamophobic.

How many times can they do border runs per year? I thought immigration has gotten tougher on border runners?

VN is now a no go so what is left.. Cambodia? Let's face it that place is an armpit but a better armpit compared to the other 3rd world <deleted> holes 

So that only leaves PI.. FLOODS, earthquakes, typhoons, machine guns, stabbed at the ATM, <deleted> food and a lunatic leader and the new visa proposals put forward last year are scary including deportation for paying for sex and disrespecting government officials 

Game over for big BWANA in SEA for those without $$$

On 1/31/2020 at 6:56 PM, digger70 said:

Gotta go back home,,,,, :wai:

I fear you may be right.

I think it was an aberration of the Thaksin years to introduce the retirement visa status for over 50 year olds. Maybe back then it made some sense but let's be objective. What is the benefit to any country to welcome a relatively underfunded demographic of ageing single men,?

On 1/31/2020 at 7:09 PM, mike787 said:

Whoever thought we would be living a life of a fugitive: border running, paying agents, negotiating, bartering, risking, catching flights, reporting every 90 days like a pedophile to his probation officer, on and on in our supposid golden years...all for what?  A vagina/love, some sun/fun, cheaper life...really?  Goes to show, there is always a price to pay; you only have to choose what the price is, and how your going to pay, but YOU will pay - somehow...

We?

You maybe.

Archived