Prostration before Sereepisuth gets ex-MP forgiveness and blessings

webfact

Prostration before Sereepisuth gets ex-MP forgiveness and blessings

By The Nation

800_8d72c07129652a6.jpg?v=1580453313

Former member of Parliament Teetash Keitladarom on Friday (January 31) prostrated at the feet of MP Pol General Sereepisuth Temeeyaves to seek forgiveness over his alleged libellous remarks against the Seri Ruam Thai Party leader and withdrawal of a defamation suit.

Teetash sought forgiveness in Parliament during a press conference by Sereepisuth seeking a review by the Constitutional Court of the legitimacy of 2020 budget bill, amid reports of proxy voting. 

Teetash, who resigned from the ruling Palang Pracharath Party on January 29, apologised to Sereepisuth for attacking the Seri Ruam Thai leader without having proper facts. 

Teetash had attacked Sereepisuth for alleged corruption in the purchase of Tiger-brand motorbikes for police patrols and encroaching on forestland.

ictLJbkb.jpg

Sereepisuth initially declined to accept Teetash’s apology when the ex-MP met him with a bouquet of flowers. He said Teetash must prostrate at his feet for him to accept the apology and drop the lawsuit. Teetash agreed immediately and received blessings from his elder to form a new party.

Teetash said he had resigned from the ruling party because of problems with “high-ranking” members. He said he would form his own political party.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30381358

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-01-31
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Former member of Parliament Teetash Keitladarom on Friday (January 31) prostrated at the feet of MP Pol General Sereepisuth Temeeyaves to seek forgiveness

I saw this on TV... I almost threw-up!

• Like 2

It's common practice in Thailand and not seen as being negative as in the West
Thais will often do it as a sign of respect to their Elders or Monks
Myself I just can't bring myself do it just feels humiliating and wrong probably due to brain washing in the west. lol

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

The only thing more odd than a human being wanting to prostrate before another human being, is a human being who actually wants another human being to prostrate before them. 

I would call this childish, but that’s an insult to children. This is just embarrassing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monkfish said:

Myself I just can't bring myself do it just feels humiliating and wrong probably due to brain washing in the west. lol

Don't you mean brainwashing here 

It belongs in feudal society a few hundred years ago not in today's world

27 minutes ago, poohy said:

Don't you mean brainwashing here 

It belongs in feudal society a few hundred years ago not in today's world

Prostration was actually abolished in 1873 by Rama V, which he said was a primitive and oppressive custom, but was reintroduced by the military dictator Sarit Thanarat during the 1950s. Such is progress.

I hate it. I always get acutely embarrassed when my wife's son does it to me when he visits. I've asked several times that he not do it, but nothing changes.

I agree, the brainwashing is here, not in the west.

Edited by Moonlover
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Prostration was actually abolished in 1873 by Rama V, which he said was a primitive and oppressive custom, but was reintroduced by the military dictator Sarit Thanarat during the 1950s. Such is progress.

I hate it. I always get acutely embarrassed when my wife's son does it to me when he visits. I've asked several times that he not do it, but nothing changes.

Many Thais do it it's part of their culture a symbol of humility or respect they don't see it as something bad as we do that's because in the west we've been taught it's a bad thing and thus can't accept it.

I'm uncomfortable with this symbol of humility as it reminds me too much of the animal kingdom. But hey each to their own.

Or did it come from when my ancestors first arrived here on Earth? I remember my Great Grandfather Enki telling me he expected it from the slave race he created on this rock ????

Edited by Conno
spelling
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, monkfish said:

Many Thais do it it's part of their culture a symbol of humility or respect they don't see it as something bad as we do that's because in the west we've been taught it's a bad thing and thus can't accept it.

Thais are so inconsistent. They see all things (or at least most things) in terms of face gained and face lost. But (and this is the important thing), They see all things in terms of face gained and face lost as other people see it.

Prostration is a token of submission, nothing more, nothing less. Oddly, if you can do it with others watching, so much the better, then everyone can see what a wunnerful person you are, so any face lost by the token of submission is regained when others see how wonderful and all-growed-up and machoor you are.

Personally, I think it's just a nonsense, cultures differ only in the small print because they reflect the way our minds and emotions work and all people are basically the same at their core.

It's just another part of the role Thai people act out, and of the games they play. Appearance is everything, substance is nothing, which makes good sense culturally, because when you have very little substance in the eyes of the world, then appearance is all you have left.

Still, I suppose it demonstrates that when you have them by the balls, their hearts and minds will soon follow...

Edited by ParkerN
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, monkfish said:

I agree it is done here as a sign of  respect. But as a Westerner very embarrassing to myself  when my MIL used to do it whenever I was leaving or arriving back in Thailand. Eventually got her to stop by quickly  giving her a  hug before she could .

But in this media spectacle case it was not really a matter of respect. "Demanding" prostration is a power trip!

9 hours ago, Moonlover said:

My girlfriend has always been a big fan of Rama V and I guess there's good reasons for that. From what I understand he also abolished slavery or something similar here in Thailand.