Baby's first uk passport

GingerLouise

Hello,

I am going to go through the process of obtaining a first uk passport for a baby. 

I understand you have to make an application at the Trendy building. I'd like a friend to go on my behalf with all of my documents. Do I need to write a letter or sign something saying they have permission?

Also, I understand I need to provide evidence of my parents being British and therefore their birth certificates (baby's grandparents). Are copies of these okay?

Thank you for any help you can offer.

I got a UK passport for my son a few months ago. You need the fathers original birth certificate ( long version not short, stating parents name) and the child's original birth certificate. Also need a UK bank account so payment can be taken through direct debit.

The process is easy , but make sure your counter signature has the required profession and qualifications( they will be contacted by phone or email).

13 minutes ago, colinsmallman said:

I got a UK passport for my son a few months ago. You need the fathers original birth certificate ( long version not short, stating parents name) and the child's original birth certificate. Also need a UK bank account so payment can be taken through direct debit.

The process is easy , but make sure your counter signature has the required profession and qualifications( they will be contacted by phone or email).

If the child's birth certificate is not in English, it will need to be officially translated.  You will also need proof of your address in Thailand. 

18 minutes ago, maprao said:

@Collinsmallman you need a UK bank account? Is this the only payment method?

Can it be paid by credit card?

Yes, it can, in fact you don't even need a UK bank account

https://www.passport.service.gov.uk/overseas/information/thailand/first/child/thailand

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/overseas-passport-creditdebit-card-payment-authorisation

• Like 1

I completed the application for my son’s application, dropped it of at Trendy with all the required documents. I received an email, I had signed the form, his Mother should have signed the form, we are not married. I had to write a letter signed by his Mother to say she was applying for the Passport for our son.

3 minutes ago, expatinbangkok said:

I only sent one of my parents' birth certificates, and that was enough. The original had been lost but you can order a new one, a 'certified copy', from the GRO website. 

Both my parents passed away 25/30 years ago, I have never seen their birth certificates. I don’t remember any questions on the application form requiring parents birth certificates ?

9 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

Both my parents passed away 25/30 years ago, I have never seen their birth certificates. I don’t remember any questions on the application form requiring parents birth certificates ?

You'd be able to apply for a certified copy if you ever needed to see them. Some people do to research their family tree. https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

It's one of the additional documents people applying from abroad tend to get asked for, but people living in the UK and applying from there don't get asked to show it. They get sent back to you by recorded mail.

I was also asked to send lots of photos of me with the wife and child from birth to the current time, and a full color copy of the wifes' passport to prove she was in Thailand with me at the time of birth. Both additional docs people applying in the UK don't get asked for.

Edited by expatinbangkok

9 minutes ago, expatinbangkok said:

You'd be able to apply for a certified copy if you ever needed to see them. Some people do to research their family tree. https://www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate

It's one of the additional documents people applying from abroad tend to get asked for, but people living in the UK and applying from there don't get asked to show it. They get sent back to you by recorded mail.

I was also asked to send lots of photos of me with the wife and child from birth to the current time, and a full color copy of the wifes' passport to prove she was in Thailand with me at the time of birth. Both additional docs people applying in the UK don't get asked for.

I applied from here, Trendy House, Bangkok, I completed the application form, my birth certificate, a translated copy of his. 
The documents are no different from what you provide if you were applying in the UK.

5 hours ago, Jumbo1968 said:

I applied from here, Trendy House, Bangkok, I completed the application form, my birth certificate, a translated copy of his. 
The documents are no different from what you provide if you were applying in the UK.

Then some people get sent an email asking them to directly send additional documents to the UK. Some don't. It happened to me, maybe because they were suspicious about something else, like my guarantor. 

OP could see if he gets lucky. He can apply without them and wait to see if he gets an email.

Edited by expatinbangkok

57 minutes ago, expatinbangkok said:

Then some people get sent an email asking them to directly send additional documents to the UK. Some don't. It happened to me, maybe because they were suspicious about something else, like my guarantor. 

OP could see if he gets lucky. He can apply without them and wait to see if he gets an email.

As I said I got one to say the Mother had to sign the application even though my name was on the Birth Certificate possibly as his surname on the Birth Certificate was his Mothers name.

• Like 1

H

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:

They have to a UK Passport and known the person for 2 years.

Hmm, that narrows the choice down. Also 'known' is a bit ambiguous. Does that mean physically met? The only people who have done that are my UK children and one of her Aunts.

9 minutes ago, rickudon said:

H

Hmm, that narrows the choice down. Also 'known' is a bit ambiguous. Does that mean physically met? The only people who have done that are my UK children and one of her Aunts.

You could be ‘liberal’ with the truth about being known but I am sure it does say they might contact them ?

11 minutes ago, rickudon said:

H

Not really correct, i had my Australian friend i have known for 10 years here in BKK countersign my daughters application last year. On the website it states professional people you have known for more than 2 years.

Also did not need my parents birth certificates,just my long version.

4 minutes ago, Bangkokhatter said:

Not really correct, i had my Australian friend i have known for 10 years here in BKK countersign my daughters application last year. On the website it states professional people you have known for more than 2 years.

Also did not need my parents birth certificates,just my long version.

Clarification,

Your countersignatory must have a current British, Irish or other EU, US or Commonwealth passport. If they have a US, Commonwealth, or non-British or non-Irish EU passport, you must include with your application a colour photocopy of the page with their photograph on it.

www.gov.uk › Passports, travel and living abroad › Passports

• Thanks 2