Video: Pattaya ghost town...Coronavirus decimates tourism as staff go home for high season

webfact

2 minutes ago, Gold Star said:

The tales of the extreme difficulties now getting a simple tourist visa for only a couple of months in a year from my usual friends that come here from England do not support that. Many were not able to get them in London this year, despite an extraordinary effort trying. Although some own properties here in Patts, they can only stay a short while now, requiring one allowed border run. One is even married to a Thai. They are all talking about finding somewhere else to go, and are heading to Vietnam and Cambodia for a while shortly to check them out as alternate winter escapes. I'm staying put here, with my retirement visa extensions, but my experience has been that Westerners are simply no longer made welcome here anymore. It is worse and more difficult every year.

Your not aware of the visa changes to foreigners starting in July in Vietnam? 

good luck staying longer than a month. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Leaver said:

So, you have a conflict of interest.

What has trade shows got to do with "zero baht tourist?" 

I’m retired, doesn’t matter to me one way or the other. 

We were discussing, I believe, zero baht tourism, which is a tourism related matter. I’m a retired travel professional. What are your credentials vis a vis travel and tourism?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Might finally be time to move to Pattaya... ah yes, they gotta do something with air quality first...

Not much can be done about air quality in Pattaya. Most of the time we get a nice clean fresh sea breeze. There are some industrial areas nearby along the coastal areas, Leam Chabang's port refineries, and Rayong's industrial areas, but apart from normal city type pollutants, its not all that bad. Fires from agricultural activities and garbage burning, is rampant everywhere in SE Asia. My biggest air problem is when I'm riding motorcycles with all the smoke belching vehicles on the roadways. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, GeorgeCross said:

i can confidently say if you said that to the average Thai male you'd better run, and fast

Well that little gem just shows what you know about Thai males......... One your ok, but they don't fight in ones........ Ten's usually their fighting strength.........Ten-one........ Mind you i did see a Japanese lad once bounce eight Thais at once outside the Thermae........ Bruce Lee style......... It was a pleasure.......   Som nam naa....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

This may be a time where things are worse than normal but Pattaya will survive in some sort.  The problem with Pattaya is that it does not have any real tourism or family activities.  While I feel sorry for the businesses that will fail and the people that will lose their jobs this is a good thing if it brings in people with fresh ideas that can boost the market in a different direction.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

I’m retired, doesn’t matter to me one way or the other. 

We were discussing, I believe, zero baht tourism, which is a tourism related matter. I’m a retired travel professional. What are your credentials vis a vis travel and tourism?

I am in the SAS, so I know everything.  ????

"Travel professional."  Give me a break. 

Since when has Thailand ever had a normal tourist industry?

• Sad 3

7 hours ago, webfact said:

Pattaya ghost town..

Halloween was over 3 months ago. 
For Halloween 2020 we still have to wait another 270 days. Is Pattaya becoming the first one this year celebrating Halloween ????

6 hours ago, JomtienRay said:

There are plenty of farang tourists in Jomtien.. 

Has been for the past two weeks, beaches where no deckchairs are heaving, deckchairs all empty...restaurants in evening full but bars all but empty...families and young couples, would assume predomitaly Russian...south Jomtien is great now without all the tour buses pumping out black smoke

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacrimas said:

This is what happens when you put all your eggs in one basket

The Chinese chickens won't lay eggs for some time, now the H5N1 virus has also broken out in China...

Murphy's law at it's finest.

7 hours ago, shadowofacloud said:

They should try promoting it as an adventure tourism destination, sorta like trips to Chernobyl.

Dress the bar girls as mutants, the ladyboys as giant coronaviruses and ferry tourists around in armored cars.

Sounds like a normal night

Thailand rid itself of tens of thousands of people of people who didn't fit the conventional demographic of a short term tourist - people under fifty who can afford to (economically) stay for extended periods, small business people and long terms travellers etc. These people (mostly harmless along with a few bad apples) put up with visa runs, contributed as good will ambassadors and spent money here from abroad.

Then they made life difficult for many retirees and many of those have left or are leaving. The income generated from these people is obviously less than a booming tourism sector - but now that so much of that is gone and given that tourism has turned down, will be missed.

Interesting how things turn out. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Have you noticed a difference in the western tourist numbers in recent times, particularly before the virus outbreak? 

Would you say western tourist numbers were up, down, or equal, to last season, and would yo then say they are up, down, or equal, to 3 years ago?   

Down why come here with the strong thb  and get low exchange rates better going to spain 

36 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I am in the SAS, so I know everything.  ????

"Travel professional."  Give me a break. 

Since when has Thailand ever had a normal tourist industry?

I’m retired, doesn’t matter to me one way or the other. .selfish person