Video: Pattaya ghost town...Coronavirus decimates tourism as staff go home for high season

webfact

" Despite it being a beautiful, breezy day of clear skies down on the Eastern Seaboard ..."

https://www.airvisual.com/thailand/chon-buri/pattaya

if the virus will not kill you, the pollution will ...

Getten worst the next days .

For tourists its shurely a place to be avoided

6 hours ago, Leaver said:

When the whole "zero baht tourist" issue was made public, and TAT realized the Chinese and Indians do not spend like westerns did, TAT's answer was to go for more of these type of tourist to make up the short fall.

So, if it took 20 Chinese package holiday makers to spend the same as one free spending western sex tourists, they targeted 20 to 1, so to speak. 

It still wasn't working, because 0 baht + 0 baht = 0 baht, not to mention the pressure it put on infrastructure here, particularly roads and water.

When the western 2 week millionaire sex tourists were coming here in big numbers. yes, they spent more than an expat.  Transport, accommodation, food, alcohol, sex.  Out every day and every night enjoying their holiday, and spending. 

Expats are a constant.  They are not prone to military coups, virus, tsunamis etc.  They remain here, contributing to the economy, particularly the housing sector, small appliance sector, and motor vehicle sector.  All considered large purchases. 

However, expats are prone to visa law changes and currency fluctuations, and that has caused many to leave in recent times.    

Probably the most intelligent and honest post so far this year. 

28 minutes ago, Jacobi Barnes said:

So why are Phuket and Bangkok more crowded than ever? I'm confused. I have no clue what it's like in Patong ( not my crowd ) but Laguna, Layan Beach, Kamala, Naithon are all slammed with more tourists than we've ever had. I couldn't get a reservation for Valentines Day dinner 2.5 weeks in advance at my favorite Phuket restaurant in Laguna. So I tried to book my second favorite restaurant in Bangkok but I'm number 105 on the waitlist at a place that charges 10,000 baht / plate ( shocked that it's booked because I didn't realize that there were so many people in Thailand with this kind of cash. Is it all the Chinese coming back for V-day? or just rich farang and Thais?). Settled on Elements at the Okura Prestige as it was the only decent restaurant that had availability 2 weeks out ( I'm number 5 on the waitlist at Okura so crossing my fingers I get a spot).

Hmm...I can't help but wonder if this article is fake news ... or is it just that Pattaya  attracts a different type of tourist than the rest of Thailand? I've never been to Pattaya but now I'm curious to check it out to see if it really is the ghost town that so many on TV are claiming it to be.

It'll will be all Spidermike's low class Chinese tourists taking the best seats in the best restaurants.

The Chinese have three Valentines Days too.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, purcho said:

Probably the most intelligent and honest post so far this year. 

And possibly the most ill-informed too.

65% of Chinese tourists in Thailand are FIT, i.e. not in tour groups these days. This is not 2008.

I find it really strange that not one post on this subject has disputed how much money the tourist spend will be down according to Thai sources, indeed some are positively gleeful about it,  and yet maintain that the Chinese, when they do come, don't spend money.

Which way do you want it chaps? Can't have it both ways.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Traubert said:

And possibly the most ill-informed too.

65% of Chinese tourists in Thailand are FIT, i.e. not in tour groups these days. This is not 2008.

I find it really strange that not one post on this subject has disputed how much money the tourist spend will be down according to Thai sources, indeed some are positively gleeful about it,  and yet maintain that the Chinese, when they do come, don't spend money.

Which way do you want it chaps? Can't have it both ways.

Yes and ad to that (not related to Thailand but for Chinese tourists)

https://www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/health-safety/how-coronavirus-could-have-a-multibilliondollar-impact-on-australias-tourism-industry/news-story/ade36ea293c66a97cecdf83ad07152a9

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Traubert said:

And those FIT's coming to Thailand are basically one step up from a western backpacker. 

There are different grades of FIT's. 

The ones Thailand is attracting are not the ones you are portraying. 

58 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I have never disputed there are crazy rich Chinese and Indians. 

The article in your link doesn't show crazy rich, but well off independent Chinese travelers.  These are the real FIT Chinese.  Not the ones Thailand gets, which are the equivalent of what would be called a "flashpacker" now, which is one up from a "backpacker." 

So, tell me, why would the Chinese tourist in the article, holidaying in Australia, even consider coming to Pattaya?  Can you see them in nightclubs on Walking Street along side the hookers?  Can you see them on a beach with water you can't swim in?  No, because they can afford better, and want nicer.

TAT would like the world to think Thailand is attracting the type of Chinese in that article, but it isn't. 

As for the crazy rich, they are on their own yachts.  Why would they come to Pattaya?

For wealthy Chinese, Thailand, in general, is seen as as poor mans holiday destination.  It's just a cheap and nasty country in South East Asia, and this is why it attracts the cheap package holiday Chinese. 

You just don’t know when to give up do you? You don’t know how the tourist industry works other than reading posts from other equally ignorant posters. 

From the article linked:

According to the ABC, a trial of direct Perth-to-Shanghai flights – which launched just a fortnight ago – resulted in a healthy surge of visitors. But the current ban on “package vacations” has meant mass cancellations, with one restaurant claiming they lost more than 1000 Chinese tourists in just two days.“’

Package vacations means group travel. Also FIT’s don’t ever booked meals or tours in advance. That’s the whole purpose of FITs. To see what the destination offers and to make on the spot decisions without a travel agent preplanning the itinerary in advance. 

13 minutes ago, Traubert said:

And whhhooosshh!! The goalpost shifts.

The ones I'm portraying are what? Well, as I didn't portray any, I'll tell you. No, you dont see them in beer bars and only the daring few in a Gogo occasionally. They avoid the public beach for two reasons, the first being six or seven have hired a beachside villa, and secondly they dont sunbathe. They don't monger either, they bring their girlfriends and they party for eight or nine days round their own pool.

Then you have the FITs that are renting a condo off the beach. Probably off a Chinese owner. These are the ones that frequent the better restaurants, book tours in all those booths all over the place.

The Chinese come for three things. Temples, food and shopping. That's why the average farang wonders where they all are while he's staring moodily into his happy hour Chang in the 69 Bar and composing his diatribe for TVF when he gets home half cut.

Spot on.

Over the New Year, some friends from Malaysia came for a holiday. They rented a villa outside of CM, near Doi Saket. 2 wings, 7 bedrooms, 6 with en-suite, flat screen 48 inch Tv’s in every room plus a big projector in one of the living rooms. Private pool, pool table, gym and table tennis table. Land area 25,000 square feet or thereabouts. Surprisingly cheap at 20,000 baht per night, no meals provided. Chinese owner whose main customers are, you guessed it, mainland Chinese. 

Yet there are posters who insist that it’s only the cheap tourists that come here. Can’t educate someone that doesn’t want to learn I guess. 

4 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Spot on.

Over the New Year, some friends from Malaysia came for a holiday. They rented a villa outside of CM, near Doi Saket. 2 wings, 7 bedrooms, 6 with en-suite, flat screen 48 inch Tv’s in every room plus a big projector in one of the living rooms. Private pool, pool table, gym and table tennis table. Land area 25,000 square feet or thereabouts. Surprisingly cheap at 20,000 baht per night, no meals provided. Chinese owner whose main customers are, you guessed it, mainland Chinese. 

Yet there are posters who insist that it’s only the cheap tourists that come here. Can’t educate someone that doesn’t want to learn I guess. 

I know, I travel on the same aircraft as them, I check in with them, I wait in departures with them and I hear them talking about where, and what and when.

Surely none of the pundits on here are going to claim I cant overhear their conversations?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Traubert said:

And whhhooosshh!! The goalpost shifts.

The ones I'm portraying are what? Well, as I didn't portray any, I'll tell you. No, you dont see them in beer bars and only the daring few in a Gogo occasionally. They avoid the public beach for two reasons, the first being six or seven have hired a beachside villa, and secondly they dont sunbathe. They don't monger either, they bring their girlfriends and they party for eight or nine days round their own pool.

Then you have the FITs that are renting a condo off the beach. Probably off a Chinese owner. These are the ones that frequent the better restaurants, book tours in all those booths all over the place.

The Chinese come for three things. Temples, food and shopping. That's why the average farang wonders where they all are while he's staring moodily into his happy hour Chang in the 69 Bar and composing his diatribe for TVF when he gets home half cut.

and group bookings to places like Nong Nooch, Crocodile Farm, Alcazar judging by the scores of full sized tour buses there.  I didn't really see where large groups of chinese eat.  Maybe large buffets organized for them in their hotels?  For that matter, didn't really see where hordes of chinese groups stayed either

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

Same old no metered taxis, jet ski scam still going, sidewalks you can break a leg on, rubbish everywhere, bill padding and then a beating, water shut offs, beach water like a toilet, flooding, rising crime rate, harsher visa requirements, crazy taxes on wine, etc etc, and for the privilege of al of this, you are now paying some of the highest prices in South East Asia, Singapore aside.

Let it all out already, Geez, did they kick your puppy too?  Stop playing the victim.  If you don’t wanna play, you don’t have to pay.  Grow a pair.

14 hours ago, Tony125 said:

Don't know where you get  " Chinese tourists don't buy property"  When I bought a condo in Jomtien last year to rent out I (an wife) were taken around to check out some others available and being built.  Thai realtor came in with 5---6 Chinese couples who opened a briefcase full of US Dollars and bought 6 condo's cash. What do you think they are doing with all those suitcases they are rolling around? They go into malls buy stuff on sale  (or not) fill all that luggage and take back home to sell.

They rent alot of the condo's to other Chinese who come over later.

Sure, some Chinese are buying condo's, but like you say, not to live in as retirees, with a Thai hooker half their age.  They AirBnB them as daily rentals.  However, the majority are 12 month leases, and then sub-leased as daily rentals.

Daily renting a condo is illegal here, as we know.  Tell me, what would happen to Chinese condo buyers should they ever enforce the law on daily rental of condo's?

What happens to other owners in the condo block that has been turned into a hotel by the Chinese?  Many sell, because they find themselves now living in a hotel. 

Enforce daily rental, and decrease the condo market for the Chinese.  Don't enforce daily rental, and decrease the condo market for the westerners.

Which one will win out?  All the while, daily renal is illegal.   

6 minutes ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

Let it all out already, Geez, did they kick your puppy too?  Stop playing the victim.  If you don’t wanna play, you don’t have to pay.  Grow a pair.

I'm not playing the victim.

Simply stating why the western market detoured Thailand / Pattaya this high season, and will not be back anytime soon, regardless of the virus. 

• Sad 1