Coronavirus outbreak to hit many sectors of Thai economy

webfact

Get over yourself Thailand, and stop crying, you think your the only Country to suffer, many, many Countries are having the same problems with the block on Chinese tourist visiting Europe, Vietnam, Philippines etc, etc, but you will never control this virus unless you ban the Chinese from entering Thailand you will suffer a lot longer than other Countries..... 

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And which Thai government entity or international entity produced the raw data for Thailand?

Per chance the same one that coughs up the unemployment figures? The Ministry of Truth?

Sure, the backlog was only 405 pending, growing hand in hand with suspected. Maybe 5-10 diagnosis made per day.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

I'll call BS on the GHS Index.

Exactly, as the rest of SE Asia says they've been Thaied to...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

And which Thai government entity or international entity produced the raw data for Thailand?

Per chance the same one that coughs up the unemployment figures? The Ministry of Truth?

Sure, the backlog was only 405 pending, growing hand in hand with suspected. Maybe 5-10 diagnosis made per day.

https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/situation.php

Awesome!! I was searching this page.

The number PUI is growing scary. At least some thing is published.

Especially the number of "Sought medical services on their own at hospitals"

I guess this will rising in the coming weeks.

The GHS Index is something I have a great smile on it not more. Thailand ahead of Germany ????

Nobody living in this country for years and did some work outside gogo bars and pubs can believe this.

I can't be more agree with you.

3 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

Even after this Corona Virus Outbreak has been declared " safe ". many Tourists from all over the World will be extremely cautious over planting their feet on Thai soil.

The Country is being perceived as being " irresponsible " by many over its handling of the Corona Virus situation. By allowing Chinese Tourists into the Kingdom during this outbreak, the Government are being seen as money grabbing, putting Money before the lives of People, whether they are Thai, Chinese or from other Nations.

The Government have already made their case clear and Tourists will make their case clear in the future, specially if the Chinese Tourists are back in droves.

Spot on but unfortunately the mass of consumers have a short memory.

You know what is one important criteria upon booking? Safety? Clean beaches? clean air? clean environment?

No, - WiFi is most important.

7 hours ago, khunpa said:

True, but until then there is a chance to get a bit of money out of the last tourist.

Money in hand now, is always best. Other problems, can be "fixed" as they turn up. (mainly by finding someone to blame for that)

Exactly how Thailand works. No money, no effort.

9 hours ago, webfact said:

The anticipated export slowdown is expected to depress the prices of some farm products in the next few months, he noted.

As multinational firms close their plants and offices in China, the impact would be felt by supply chains worldwide in the fields of high-tech, electronics, auto and parts.

More and more countries prohibit the entry into these countries of Chinese nationals or even foreigners who have set foot even for 1 or 2 days in China.
Japan, for example, prohibits entry into the country of any person, whatever their nationality, having transited through China.
And other countries are doing the same.
Only the government of the country most affected by the disease, Thailand, has still not understood the gravity of this crisis.

The world economy will be badly and durably affected because many companies only operate with products imported from China; all this just in time, stocks being in boats and / or trucks.
Countries like Thailand that are highly dependent on the Chinese economy will suffer enormously.
The price of oil has just dropped sharply; and the price of other raw materials will follow very soon;
the raw rubber which is currently purchased at 16 baht per kg, ie not much, will fall further;
already many producers no longer bleed their trees because it is no longer profitable, it does not cover their costs.

I think the global economy that was slowly slowing down may not stop, but will go into recession
The very many western companies that have relocated to China will be hard hit;
We are going to move towards a considerable number of companies which will shut down with the consequence of very many unemployed ....

The slightest spark may cause a planetary revolution.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, NoBrainer said:

Maybe Thailand could live up to it's reputation as an advanced world class medical hub, by opening it's hospitals to the treatment of foreign Corona patients.

Seems like China will not have enough beds soon...

Never mind that a quick moving pandemic can overwhelm anywhere, that Thailand might have a very good system relative to much of the world for its population of 70 million doesn't mean it has capacity to house patients from China's population of 1.3 billion

18 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Guessing they put more time, effort, money, expertise, etc. into gathering and processing the data than you put into your "critique" of it, I'm left to weigh the divinations of your cynicism against the credentials of those who put their names to the index...

https://www.ghsindex.org/about/

International Panel of Experts

David M. Barash, Executive Director, GE Foundation

David Blazes, Senior Program Officer, Surveillance and Epidemiology, Global Health Program, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Mukesh Chawla, Adviser, Health, Nutrition and Population, World Bank; Chair, UNAIDS and World Bank Global Economics Reference Group on HIV-AIDS

Chaeshin Chu, Deputy Scientific Director, Division of Risk Assessment and International Cooperation, Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC)

Scott F. Dowell, Deputy Director, Vaccine Development and Surveillance, Global Health Program, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Wu Fan, Deputy Director General, Shanghai Municipal Health Commission, China

Dylan George, Vice President, Technical Staff and BNext, In-Q-Tel

Lawrence O. Gostin, Faculty Director and Founding Chair, O’Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law, Georgetown University Law Center

Ernesto Gozzer, Associate Professor, Universidad Peruana
Cayetano Heredia; International Consultant

Wilmot James, Visiting Professor, Political Science and Pediatrics, Columbia University

Julius J. Lutwama, Senior Principal Research Officer, Ministry of Health, Uganda; Head of the Department of Arbovirology, Emerging and Re-Emerging Viral Infectious Diseases, Uganda Virus Research Institute (UVRI)

Issa Makumbi, Director, Public Health Emergency Operations Centre, Ministry of Health, Uganda

Pretty Multihartina, Director, Center for Health Determinant Analyst, Ministry of Health, Indonesia

Lee Myers, Manager, a.i., Emergency Management Centre for Animal Health (EMC-AH), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) of the United Nations (on behalf of the United States Department of Agriculture)

Indira Nath, Former Senior Professor and Head, Department of Biotechnology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences

Simo Nikkari, Director and Professor, Centres for Military Medicine and Biothreat Preparedness, FDF Logistics Command, Finland

The Honorable Cllr. Tolbert G. Nyenswah, Director General, National Public Health Institute, Liberia

Robert Powell, Editorial Director Americas, Thought Leadership, The Economist Intelligence Unit

Malik Muhammad Safi, Director of Health Programs and Head of Health Planning, System Strengthening and Information Analysis Unit, Ministry of National Health Services, Regulation and Coordination, Pakistan

Tomoya Saito, Chief Senior Researcher, Department of Health Crisis Management, National Institute of Public Health, Japan

Oyewale Tomori, Professor of Virology; Former President, Nigerian Academy of Science

About the Index Project Team

The GHS Index is a project of the Nuclear Threat Initiative (NTI) and the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security (JHU) and was developed with The Economist Intelligence Unit (EIU). 

You'll forgive me my presumption if I defer to them.

Edited by thaicurious