Advice Needed! How To Get A Career In Thailand?

Hi Everyone, 

A co-worker suggested I talk to 'yall for your collective wisdom on getting a non-teaching job in Thailand. 

My career goal is to be an Environmental Consultant in Thailand. The job description would be something like: an individual who works with Thai municipalities to audit existing waste management infrastructures (if any) then consult the municipality about how they can install and manage a sustainable waste management system that will keep their city cleaner than before. 

The Thai national government has already hired Boston Consulting Group (BCG) as of late 2019 to do this for the nation, but I want to either start my own consultancy, to intern or to work for an existing consultancy in Thailand to build my resume for being a waste-management consultant. 

I have NO education background in environmental issues. However, I do have internship experience (I was a researcher for waste management for 6 months with an international non-profit in Bangkok) and I have already led a successful yet small online campaign that pressured an institution to properly manage their waste. <-- Yes, one farang in Thailand CAN make a difference! I had support from three Thai. 

So how can I escape the ESL trap and get into my aforementioned intended career in Thailand? I'm American, upper 30's, driven, hard-working, ambitious and I never give up (apparently, after almost 10 years of ESL teaching while unsuccessfully side hustling into the consulting industry). 

Thanks! I look forward to your answers. It's been a long 9 years of trying my best and I'm fresh out of good ideas. The only thing I can think of is to get an online Masters Degree from the USA while living in Thailand and to do my internship with it with an international organization in Thailand that could have career opportunities for me. I've already applied for WWF, Greenpeace, UNESCO and none of them want to hire a farang because (1) work permit isn't easy and (2) they want someone who can speak Thai. Learning Thai to speak at a level good enough for consulting would take YEARS! So telling me to "just learn thai." isn't very helpful. 

-LCT 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

(2) they want someone who can speak Thai. Learning Thai to speak at a level good enough for consulting would take YEARS! So telling me to "just learn thai." isn't very helpful. 

Obviously they want somebody who speaks Thai, because communication is the most basic requirement for consultancy work.

How do you plan to advise people if you can't even understand the existing laws and regulations?

You might not want to hear it, but the basic requirement for such a job will be to become fluent in Thai, and also be able to read and write Thai. This is more important than some masters degree from the US.

• Like 2

Waste management is a fascinating subject and Thailand urgently needs expertise in the area IMO. As the others have said though, you will need to at least be fluent in Thai speaking/listening.

I can't remember the Thai-only employment sectors but I think consulting for a municipality is allowed? Since you're a US citizen, I think there's some Thai-USA deal that lets you set up a company without the prerequisite number of local employees. I would get in contact with an agency to sort it out or at least advise you on how to procede, PM me if you want a contact.

Please update us if you find work in this field here.

• Thanks 1

Siam hates having to engage alien entities.  They were up in arms when olde Tak Shin wanted to employ an expat for their PTT.

Boston CG has the gig only for to grease the wheels in DC on behalf of Siam.

BCG ripped off the taxpayers for millions in fees to consult of GM and other dying animals by in 2007.

On-his-knees Mitt Romney was the head honcho of this outfit at one time.

If the young LCT were to invest himself, he'd have a better grade of poon in the good old USA, than the 3rd world sknks he's aiming for.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

You don't have the proper education, not much experience, don't speak the language so there is no chance at all you will get a job like that.

I speak an Asian language FAR more important than Thai.  But if your main gold in life is Thailand Thailand Thailand, you should learn to speak Thai OR look further afield.  Any old fart on this forum, that has been burned in Thailand, because they were as excited as you, will tell you: you are asking for nothing but trouble and let down. 

Learn Bhasa.  It takes less effort than Thai, Indonesia will be the second large economy in Asia.  You will have about the same life style.     Most foreign professionals are passing up Thailand for neighboring countries according to HSBC polls.  At this time, Thailand doesn't want you.

If you want a job, look for a problem you can solve first.  That will give you the experience you need.  It has be something that is tangible and shows money saved / money made.  

You can do anything you want as long as you are will to work for it and take risks.  Find a spot in Asia that has easier visa conditions and a better economy.   Thailand has neither right now.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

I have NO education background in environmental issues. However, I do have internship experience (I was a researcher for waste management for 6 months

I appreciate your pluckiness...but you picked the wrong place to be an entrepreneur and you have no education and only a smattering of experience as an intern.....get some realistic experience first...start a company in your country....be a success and then sell yourself to other coutries.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

I have NO education background ... 

I was a researcher for waste management for 6 months. 

Thais are lazy, they have farmer DNA

ENGLISH is the language to speak because it's the language of the world.

I'm sure in your cosy home country is enough waste to search in. 

And they even speak English ... or Spanish ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

When you realised the ESL game is a trap, that would have been the time to start your degree course. 

Plenty of people have started with nothing and ended up with a decent career after taking a degree Or masters in Thai language. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 1:16 PM, Airalee said:

You want to consult Thai municipalities but don’t want to take the time to learn Thai?

You think you are smart, but you clearly don't understand Thai culture. Any farang solution for Thailand will NOT be adopted by anyone in Thailand. Thai's are proud of never being imperialized. For any farang business to be successful, a Thai must be the face of the business and the communicator. Get it? So even if I learned Thai to fluency, it would be a waste of my time. Please read my post in full. If you aren't going to be helpful, then don't say anything. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, recom273 said:

When you realised the ESL game is a trap, that would have been the time to start your degree course. 

Plenty of people have started with nothing and ended up with a decent career after taking a degree Or masters in Thai language. 

Decent careers in consulting? Any farang solution for Thailand will NOT be adopted by anyone in Thailand. Thai's are proud of never being imperialized. For any farang business to be successful, a Thai must be the face of the business and the communicator. So even if I learned Thai to fluency, it would be a waste of my time. Farangs should be the brain of the business, a Thai should be the face and the mouth. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Iron Tongue said:

I've worked for the World Bank, several multinationals plus 2 NGOs and here's my honest & brutal opinion:

Not only will you have to already read & speak Thai, but you'll need to be able to write & present reports using Thai technical jargon.

Honestly, in your 30's with no technical degrees nor Thai language ability, nobody will hire you.

The road you'll have to take is first get an advanced degree in a Western Univ. while minoring in Thai language.  Excell in your studies so your profs notice you, THEN you'll be able to find semester abroad possibilities sponsored through your university.  With perfect grades and a couple projects in Thailand when you graduate, THEN you'll be marketable to international business/consultancies in Thailand. 

Btw, you'll be competing with 22-23 year olds with multiple degrees, some already with a few patents under their belts.

Thank you for your insightful reply. This is actually useful! What about this --> I've come to notice that any farang solution for Thailand will NOT be adopted by anyone in Thailand. Thai's are proud of never being imperialized. For any farang business to be successful, a Thai must be the face of the business and the communicator. So even if I learned Thai to fluency, it would be a waste of my time. Farangs should be the brain of the business, a Thai should be the face and the mouth. Correct?

• Sad 1

Just now, Airalee said:

You come to Thailand with an ego that is bordering on Narcissistic Personality Disorder thinking you’re going to ride in and save the system.  You tell me that I don’t understand the culture yet you are the one who seems to have the problems.  If any employer here saw what you say about Thais here on Thaivisa you would become persona non grata quite quickly.

see? attacking the person again. and you have no facts to back up your claims. if you give people your negativity, you will get negativity in return. and your lesson learned today is what? 

• Sad 1