My friends, the bananas

Gecko123

32 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

@worgeordie I appreciate that you may have just been making a play on words, but if anyone thinks having an imagination or having a sense of connection to the physical world is a symptom of mental illness, I feel sorry for them.

I have a close friend (a talented horticulturalist) who sings to her trees..and I have always loved the idea of Thai "magic" trees (my concept)

My M-i-L sings to her orchids..

I once made a profound bow to a whole dell of orchids in Laos.Such a wonder to behold..

A magic tree in my town.

DSCN0945.JPG

• Like 2

Belief in anamism is strong here in Isaan. Beware you don't invoke any nasty spirit boys. When we first bought land there was a very large old tree that had to go. Before it could be dropped we had to hold a ceremony and make offerings, and provide new spirit houses for all the tree residents to move into. 

Just the opposite of the Magic tree shown above. Old spirit houses that are no longer being attended to or have been replaced, end up being placed near very old trees, just in case! 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

@nikmar

Really like that banana angel sketch. Thanks for sharing.

from t'internet mate. there's a group of banana trees near my home, I have to admit to still be holding on to the hope that I may bump into her on my drunken meanderings. 

• Haha 2

I must admit I miss all this..

Back to dull prosaic Australia the home of the suburban brain dead-definitely no spirit houses for them!

I noticed years ago that I was becoming more animistic-and pantheistic-in my perceptions of the world and very much enjoyed the Asian and Indian sub-continent view of the world...that it was immensely porous..

I have a friendly magpie here "George" that always drops by for a chat..

I developed this thing about rivers..and their spirits and gods..

Thailand and Australia

DSCN2458.JPG

080.JPG

• Like 2

A growing body of research also points to the fact that trees and nature are good for our mental wellbeing. New York State’s Department of Environmental Conservation, for example, recommends walking in forests to boost overall health, including for reducing stress, increasing energy levels and improving sleep. Trees also seem to help the body recover

Extract from Rachel Nuwer 12th Sept. 2019.

No trees-No humans.

• Like 1