Thailand’s Tourism Council reports ZERO bookings following coronavirus outbreak

webfact

It’s the simple fallout of placing one group of people above the rest, while neglecting in large part, the benefits of treating the rest well despite the fact they’re no longer your number one tourism group.  The mantra of every day is a new day with zero regard for the actions of all previous days doesn’t work well in the hospitality industry.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Yadon Toploy said:

I reckon an economic crash is now inevitable here. 

Save your cash as there will be loads of vehicles, apartments and houses up for sale in the near future.

Not to mention higher crime rates.

It's going to get messy.

Brilliant time to have cash. Buy cheap and when the Chinese hordes return, and oh return they will, sell it all to the illegal Chinese hotel runners and get the hell out of dodge with a nice pile of profit.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gweiloman said:

Everyone is treated the same. It’s just entitled farangs showing their poor education. 

How does a person's level of education enter the equation?

Edited by yogi100
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Even this isn't directly connected with tourists, I hope they overthink this ridiculous 90 day reporting and the even more stupid re-entry permit. The latter is just a measure to make money and doesn't serve any other purpose.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I feel sorry for Thailand , I really do, but this is just a final blow to an already affected touristindustry. I have lived here for many years and I have friends running hotels and restaurangs all over LOS. They are now very worried ...very worried !! They give me a different picture of the number of Tourists compared to what TAT are saying in the press / media. Also, they say that you can not compare western / european Tourists with Chinese / Indians because the pattern of spending is so ...so different . Restaurants, bars and discos are suffering, Chinese and Indians go in Groups and eat cheaply. Many factors over the years are now adding up. And the Corona Virus is the final Nail in the coffin for Thai Tourism. Sad to say.  

• Like 1

"the Tourism Council of Thailand", and "the Ministry of Tourism and Sports" need to consult their bosses TAT (Tourism Authority of Thailand) and they will surely be able to show an upward trend - they always have up to now, and are experts in manipulating statistics!

26 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I had a few hotels shortlisted for a week's holiday in Phuket, they've all gone up on price considerably over the past couple of weeks

Of course, that is Thai logic. Increase price to make up for the lack of customers. Hilarious.

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I had a few hotels shortlisted for a week's holiday in Phuket, they've all gone up on price considerably over the past couple of weeks

Look around and you'll probably find a number that have reduced prices.

Despite popular belief, the hotel industry rarely follows the "normal" Thai practice of increasing prices when things get difficult. Savvy hotel owners and managers know exactly what the competition is doing and, believe me, if prices haven't reduced now they will soon; but not in all hotels. Some are still doing quite nicely from the Russian/Eastern European trade.

I've just had a quick look at Karon hotels and it's easy enough to see which hotels are holding rates and which are discounting.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, colinneil said:

What a crock of s++t, problems began when China banned all outbound tours.

Do these people actually believe that?

Problems have been slowly mounting over the last few years.

T.A.T.  have been that busy forging tourist arrival numbers, they believe this.

Um...yeah they actually do Col !!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

He added that the industry as a whole must take good care of the other tourists who remain in Thailand, while also exploring new markets to compensate for the absence of Chinese tourists. 

Until the Chinese come back to Thailand, and that presumably will happen at some point in the future...

An then everything can go back to the way it was.... with the industry and government in large part happily ignoring or disregarding the other tourists who remain in Thailand (except perhaps for the Indians,,,).

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BobbyL said:

As I posted in a similar thread a day or so ago - 

Thailand was a haven for western tourists in the 90s and early 00s. Every Tom, Dick and Harry wanted to come here for something different - backpackers, couples, sex pests, retirees, beach goers, adventure seekers etc. Nowadays, relying on one or two (e.g - Chinese) tourist markets was never ever going to end well. 

What the TAT and the boys in charge failed to realise was to keep this tourist momentum up you need to improve, be innovative and develop the industry so it continues to grow. What I believe Thailand did in their partly ingrained arrogance, is basically nothing. They believed their own hype and thought we will always be able to attract tourists no matter what. 

IMO it's worse than that. In the '90's and early '00's there was a very active Amazing Thailand campaign to draw tourists into the country from the US.

It was effective, many, many American friends expressed interest in visiting Thailand.

As that was replaced by news of coups, bombings, police crack downs on night clubs and card playing, unsolved murders etc etc there is MUCH less interest in Americans visiting Thailand. 

Government tourism campaigns are helpful, but when is the last time you heard of one aimed at Westerners?

• Like 2