Hi There...

I wonder can someone enlighten me regarding with my friend problem.

My friend is from UK with her Mother.  her mom was diagnosed with Alzheimer's Disease 3 years ago. And she's planning to bring her mom in thailand to enroll in a Nursing Home/Home care.

but she has no idea where to start or how the visa process will goes. 

Pls... if someone has an idea about this kind of topic i would be grateful to hear more from you.

Thanks in advance

There is no visa based upon medical care for a long stay. Only a 90 day extension based upon medical treatment.

What your friend's visa status here? If she is on a long term extension of stay her mother may be able to get one based upon being her mother.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If the Alzheimer sufferer's daughter is not in Thailand on a long term visa, the most straightforward solution will be to apply for a Non O visa (either from the UK or at the immigration office in Thailand) followed by annual retirement extensions. Some nursing homes can help with this. There are many threads on retirement extensions on ThaiVisa. The quality of care in Thailand is high, and I can well see why this approach might be taken.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I have seen nursing care homes in both the UK and Thailand. Absent other considerations, I would definitely recommend those in Thailand over those in the UK. 

I have nothing to compare with and I acknowledged that fact. 

Fortunately for AU citizens health care and quality of that is excellent. Granted nursing homes vary.

I think my point in the main based on repatriation down the track. 

54 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Fortunately for AU citizens health care and quality of that is excellent. Granted nursing homes vary.

I was assuming the patient would be ending her days in Thailand. I certainly would not propose such a move as a temporary measure. Also, in all honesty, I do not know all the facts around her situation. If she still has friends and family in the UK she has regular contact with, that might make the move less attractive. I was only commenting that quality of care in nursing homes is better in Thailand than the UK.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, BritTim said:

I was assuming the patient would be ending her days in Thailand. I certainly would not propose such a move as a temporary measure. Also, in all honesty, I do not know all the facts around her situation. If she still has friends and family in the UK she has regular contact with, that might make the move less attractive. I was only commenting that quality of care in nursing homes is better in Thailand than the UK.

Yeah I understand and think one could go either way. The problem is that by repatriation I was not referring post death. My poor choice of words. The lady in question can develop other issues given her current prognosis.

"Ending days in Thailand.." sounds simple until complications arise. The daughter will not have health cover for her mother.

@sheryl111080. Thinking you have lot of expertise. Your thoughts for the OP?

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Health care is very good. Nursing homes not so much. There was a call for a Royal Commission into nursing homes for very good reasons.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, I'm bit surprised with your friends plan. I have zero knowledge of UK re age care facilities etc. 

If I had relation living in Thailand in same situation, I would be taking them back to OZ.

My Mum's live-in care in the UK costs almost 57,000 THB per month, plus the cost of the carer's food and the extra utilities that having them in the house incurs. 

I reckon live-in care here would be much cheaper here, but there's no way we could get my Mum here and we promised her she wouldn't be removed from her house until she died or needed to be hospitalised.