Gecko in Thailand - How to get rid of them

Thomas J

We have condo, so have some of the smaller ching chok lizards. Yes, they are not potty trained. Wife doesn't like the poop, but I do point out that poop is a form of insects I can live with. Plus they are cute. Those lizards were here long before us, and deserve some accommodation

In my time in Thailand, and while living in my apartment in Siem Reap, Cambodia I just ignored the two or three small common house geckos ???? in my place. 

They got rid of all the other bugs and kept bugs under control. Especially mosquitos and flys. Pretty well fly and mosquito free.

I didn’t mind seeing them peeking out from behind curtains and scampering across the walls and ceiling. 

Funny thing... in Canada and the U.S. you can buy geckos ???? at some pet shops...pay money for them.

But in Southeast Asia you can have them for free. ???????? 

One or two little house geckos ???? in your place is considered good luck by many people. 

It’s the huge Tokay gecko that I would not want in my apartment. Way too big and noisy. ???????????? 

Edited by Catoni
Correction
  • Thanks 1

My first two rented houses in Thailand had only wooden shutters, no glass windows or screens.  It was fun in the right season when the flying ants/termites invaded the house at night. Dozens, if not hundreds, would fly in to the bedroom, attracted by the light.  Then they shed their wings and a Tokay would appear and gobble up every last one as I watched from the safety of my mosquito net.  All I had to do was sweep up the wings in the morning. The house we later built for the MIL did have screens, but lizards still got in.  One Tokay hid out in the drop ceiling in the kitchen.  Bro-in-law later found about 6 hiding out behind a cabinet in the living room.  I didn't mind the little jingjoks.  They are common in parts of Florida USA.  There are also Tokays.  Tokay bite (skip to 9:00):

I know we are all different. I admit, when reading the topic title, it shocked me a little.

I love Gecko's, love the way they look, love the sounds, always counting with them ... best one was up to 11 time.

Mosquitos and flies, my number one enemy in Thailand, Gecko's and the likes my best friends ????

Bring them over to my place ... a little bit poo from a Gecko better then a mosquito bite.

Unfortunately, over time, the more houses got built around the estate, the less Gecko's we have today.

• Thanks 1

On 2/7/2020 at 8:30 AM, bankruatsteve said:

There is also a product called "No Gecko" (Lazada has - look for coupons) that is effective.  But, it's pricey and they eventually return needing another spray.  

Tried it....useless :whistling:

For the geckos I have which seem only to hang out in my toilet I got a spray that has lemongrass and similar in it from lazada. Seems to keep them away for few days then spray again.

I have spent 8 months battling a tookey in my room . It would hide in the coving  near the air con where the installers cut a section out. This thing was huge and rapid. It took to crapping on my bed daily where my head would be when I was not in the room. Tried everything to catch it and the humane traps I had were to big to sit on the air con to catch it when it came out.

Eventually I got a sticky pad for mice etc from lazada, was about a metre long . First day of it in place the tookey crapped on it but escaped somehow. Fourth day success as it got stuck and the fun began . Got an oven glove and removed it from the pad then took it outside and on the wall it seemed ok but when on grass it was stuck. So picked it up and rubbed cooking oil on its feet and belly where it was sticky , then left it on area I had soaked  with water . 20 mins later it had took off . Hopefully not to return !

23 hours ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

Yes it is. They carry Salmonella.

Best way to get rid of them is place a Rat Glue trap under a light at night.

Lolol been here 15 yrs.    never heard anyone getting salmonella from gecko pop which is nothing more than recycled protein from insects.

• Like 1

This issue goes right in the bin with the rest of the “way beyond my comprehension” why it was even posted.

Right up there with:

How much allowance should I give my bargirl gf.

Should I put my bargirl gf on my bank account.

My gf has a 550,000 balance on her credit card, should I pay it off for her?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, KC 71 said:

Get a Tokay ????

21 hours ago, Vacuum said:

....and forget to get a good night sleep. They're noisy at night time.

Only if it's a male and only during the short breeding season. We regularly have a Tokay as a house guest, but are never disturbed by them.

Geckos in general never bother me. They are part of the landscape in tropical regions. Just accept them.

My cat loves them,she has one who is her nemesis, its

always stays high up on the wall above a lamp,at night

the cat will spend time just looking up at it.

Any that are lower on the wall or the floor she will get,

i catch her quickly hold her head under the tap till she

lets go,i catch the Gecko and put it outside,I have no

problem having Gecko's in the house,the mosquitos 

they catch,I am happy to have them.<deleted> and all,its

not like there droppings are that big,and they are dry/

regards Worgeordie