has anybody ever just flown to a non tourist city in thailand just to get away from farang

yogavnture

i know not many farang in surat thani........i am wondering about songklha ..........i wonder if a foreigner would have a good time their?  sometimes i just fly into a city that has an airport and just go exploring.  kind of nice to be the only farang around.......has anybody been to songklha.  is their a strong muslim feel in that city

• Like 1

I  posted this thread because i go to nakorn si thammarat.  and really like it thier.  no veggie restaurants i really like but all the veggies are in the market and i found a nice quiet hotel that will cook for me.  decent massage their and good gyms .  thats all i need to keep me happy................the thais in thammarat have to be the freindliest in thailand...........so now im thinking of going farther afoot......i saw the lakes on google maps of songkhla and the city looks like its in a interesting geological spot........no airport  though??

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Why do all tourists need to be farang? Why does an airport need to serve solely a tourist industry? 

Most of the tourists visiting Hat Yai come by bus from Malaysia, there for the weekend. The airport is the quick connection to Bangkok ~ 1hr 10min instead of 12hrs by bus or 15hrs by train. Hat Yai is primarily a commercial hub for the south, many people fly for business.

Yes we have tourism, but the city doesn't depend on it for its existence. That the city survived the various plunges in tourism after bombings is testament to that. Certainly there are western visitors, though most are on their way to Malaysia or the islands.

i wonder if the beach at songkla is flat enuf for beach running . then i might give it a try..........i was in hua hin some years ago and did not like it one bit. too touristy.  i notice the more tourists the more unfreindly the thais become as well

• Like 1

Would Narathiwat be an option? Has an airport but maybe security concerns would work against making such a trip.

I made many weekend visits to the area south of Narathiwat, staying at the Tak Bai Lagoon Resort whilst working in Kelantan during the 90's. Then, it was a  very laid back place. Now....? Google reviews indicate it is still in operation and Malaysia is just a  short ferry trip away.

Even in my time, I tended to be the only non Thai/Malaysian around and, speaking a bit of Thai, had enjoyable times in the strip of bars that were fairly close by, near to the beach.  Good memories.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, yogavnture said:

I  posted this thread because i go to nakorn si thammarat.  and really like it thier.  no veggie restaurants i really like but all the veggies are in the market and i found a nice quiet hotel that will cook for me.  decent massage their and good gyms .  thats all i need to keep me happy................the thais in thammarat have to be the freindliest in thailand...........so now im thinking of going farther afoot......i saw the lakes on google maps of songkhla and the city looks like its in a interesting geological spot........no airport  though??

I was in Songkhla around 2 months ago. Nice quiet place. Farangs are far and few between as most western governments have "do not travel" advice for Songkhla (but not Hat Yai), this voids most travel insurances.  When I was there the sea was rough and the beaches were not impressive.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, gearbox said:

most western governments have "do not travel" advice for Songkhla (but not Hat Yai), this voids most travel insurances.

I think you'll find UK and European travel advisories warn against travel in the 3 southern provinces and southern Songkhla province excluding Hat Yai and Songkhla Town and the road down to Sadao. The US advisory includes all of Songkhla province.

9 hours ago, gearbox said:

I was in Songkhla around 2 months ago. Nice quiet place. Farangs are far and few between as most western governments have "do not travel" advice for Songkhla (but not Hat Yai), this voids most travel insurances.  When I was there the sea was rough and the beaches were not impressive.

Yes, the low season tides hit hard, if you go in the summer months, the sea is calmer. You need to go to the beaches north of the city, they are just long flat strips of sand, not typically a beach, you would raise a few eyebrows if you stripped off and got out the lotion. The town beaches are akin to a public park on a Sunday.

• Like 2

A future option may be Betong. A new airport is currently under construction and may be completed next year.

My recollection, from the mid 90's, is that of a sleepy border town that generates most of it's business from Malaysian border hoppers. Very picturesque region with a more bearable climate. The southern troubles has had an impact but not in recent years.  

I certainly plan on making a trip there once the airport is on stream. Currently a trip there requires a few hours by a  rather windy road from Yala or an approach via the Malaysian border.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, englishoak said:

If your so keen to get away from all the falang why are you asking us where to go ?... ive been there sure, if you want to know what its like go find out for yourself ... its called going where you havnt before and have a real adventure. instead of a fake arranged one..............kids these days meh 

meth?

Edited by yogavnture
spelling

9 hours ago, englishoak said:

If your so keen to get away from all the falang why are you asking us where to go ?... ive been there sure, if you want to know what its like go find out for yourself ... its called going where you havnt before and have a real adventure. instead of a fake arranged one..............kids these days meh 

its farang not falang just for your reference.  kids theses days meh

Edited by yogavnture
spelling
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, recom273 said:

Songkhla has a different vibe the NST, there were/are a lot of expats living there because of the oil industry, there is a established strip of bars and pubs along with great restaurants, where you can meet others, should you wish to. You mention vegetarian, there are a few “jay” restaurants, these have red/yellow signs, it’s a chinese tradition, as there are a lot of Chinese families in hat Yai and Songkhla.

There are so many universities and schools in Songkhla and a lot of western teachers too, Songkhla has a nice community vibe - there’s even a ‘hash’ - where the group sets off and runs through the countryside. W have Facebook community pages to help one another out, I guess take a search. There 

There are still a lot of westerners there but not so many as a few years ago, I understand that this isn’t your objective to meet or not meet.
I live a nice life in HY, the only time I see westerners is if I pass through town. I very very rarely have any contact with westerners in a day to day, I’m too busy. I’m not the guy to speak to you and ask loads of questions, just because your eyes are blue, occasionally you can get talking to Malaysian tourists in a pub or restaurant, they are usually nice folks.

You should give Songkhla a look for a month, it’s been said before by contributors, southerners don’t suffer the fool, meaning friendships (both expats and locals) are a little hard to forge, but not so superficial. 

thanks good advise i dont mind all farang .  maybe the train goes by songkhla i will check it out  

Edited by yogavnture
spelling

51 minutes ago, dabhand said:

A future option may be Betong. A new airport is currently under construction and may be completed next year.

My recollection, from the mid 90's, is that of a sleepy border town that generates most of it's business from Malaysian border hoppers. Very picturesque region with a more bearable climate. The southern troubles has had an impact but not in recent years.  

I certainly plan on making a trip there once the airport is on stream. Currently a trip there requires a few hours by a  rather windy road from Yala or an approach via the Malaysian border.

just think of all the tourist possibilities in the south if the thais got the muslim issue resolved

1 minute ago, CGW said:

"Remote location" & history, its maintained its Malaysian heritage to some extent. I like the way they cook food in the area, a lot of Malay influence.

i heard alot of malaysian men come up across the border to get massage from thais as its not avail in their country due to religious restriction

1 minute ago, yogavnture said:

i heard alot of malaysian men come up across the border to get massage from thais as its not avail in their country due to religious restriction

Yes, this is true, but there are just as many family groups these days.

I think there is a bit of a seedy side to Beton but its not in your face like Dannock, which is an experience on its own.

Trang is another place with not too many foreign tourists and has an airport, we have been there a few times and it is pretty quiet, good food too, they have some of the best bbq pork in Thailand and some great dim sum shops. Many really nice beaches but you will need to hire a car or bike to get around, lots to see in the region as well

• Like 1