has anybody ever just flown to a non tourist city in thailand just to get away from farang

yogavnture

14 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

My least favorite province. With all the money racing to the islands and back it's always struck me as very scammy. The Muslims are indifferent and cliquish. I'll admit I've not spent a great deal of time there not really explored the place.

I like camping on islands to getaway but there are often huge daytripper numbers of farang these past years. But they leave at day's end

I think you're confusing your provinces. There's just a few rocks off the coast of Songkhla province, certainly nothing that attracts money or huge numbers of farang, day tripper or otherwise.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I think you're confusing your provinces. There's just a few rocks off the coast of Songkhla province, certainly nothing that attracts money or huge numbers of farang, day tripper or otherwise.

i think he means surat thani.  ive never been impressed with surat thani. very busy and hectic area.  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stocky said:

I was talking about nakon si thammart.

Songkla is ok. Boring, no beach. My wife has a good friend who's a housing developer there. Hat Yai is ok for passing through

• Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

yes nakon si 

Songkla is ok. Boring, no beach. My wife has a good friend who's a housing developer there. Hat Yai is ok for passing through

yes nakon si thammarat is a terrible place . dont go their .  farang not welcome at all,,,,,,,,if you google map songkla it shows a long beach

On 2/8/2020 at 1:23 PM, CGW said:

Yes! seems to depend on who is counting, its bigger than I thought though. ????

2020-02-08 13_21_13-Biggest Cities In Thailand - WorldAtlas.com - Opera.png

Thailand - Opera.png

you need to consider the metro area - Chiang Mai has nearly 1 million according to official stats, other estimates have it at 1.2 million+.

Ignoring the metro area would be like saying the city of Sydney only has 208,000 people based on the boundaries of the local government area when the entire city is 5.2m. 

1 hour ago, lordblackader said:

you need to consider the metro area - Chiang Mai has nearly 1 million according to official stats, other estimates have it at 1.2 million+.

Yes, look at my post #46 1.655 plus for CM

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

Yes, look at my post #46 1.655 plus for CM

Yeah, but those numbers are for the whole province, not everyone lives in or around the provincial capital.

The issue with Thai population/census numbers is they are given for mueang bearing the name not the metropolitan area.

Edited by Stocky

18 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Yeah, but those numbers are for the whole province, not everyone lives in or around the provincial capital.

Does "Metro" area here, not mean the whole province? most of the cities are packed then become a lot densely populated quite quickly unlike a lot of western cities.

11 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Chalatat Beach is 3-4kms long.

Town is boring nowadays though (if you're after 'attention'); not what it was.

Edited by daveAustin

It's a balance thing, I think. When I lived in Phuket, I enjoyed the social life of being on a truly mixed dart team, working in a multi-national environment and all that.

But a few incidents put me off. One time as I was walking to work past Bangkok Hospital in Samkong, I noticed a Caucasian couple with a baby in front of Bangkok Hospital. I saw them trying to talk to a tuk-tuk driver, who was literally holding the map that had given him upside down.

At the time, I knew all about the public transport options in Phuket Town, so I offered my help. But not only did they reject my offer, but they were quite rude about it. I guess maybe they thought I was calling their coping/negotiation skills into question. After that I sort of gave up trying to help tourists in Phuket, unless they approached me.

Now that I live in Ranode, where the only other expats are a Finnish couple and a Kansas City Chief's fan, I will walk right up to any foreigner I meet here and introduce myself. And they are almost always friendly back to me.

• 10 months later...

I always wonder what the guy eventually did when I read a post like this.  The thread was six pages long and then ended back in February.

Personally, I'd recommend Yala City for an interesting break.  I've met a couple philipino teachers there, and have seen an African gentleman, who I assumed was a teacher, so those three in maybe 10 visits to the city.  No airport but the train station is in the center of the city. I'd reythe Park View Hotel as it's in the security controlled section of the city.  The people are friendly an never see white tourists so you still might feel special.  Nothing much to do other than hang out and and just see a quiet Thai city.

TBH, no never. i am not a farang man (brown to be precise).

when i am in thailand, i feel safer if there are some foreigners in that city. because i expect them to answer any questions i have regarding the city.i remember i flew to knon kaen once after an argument with the thai gf. had no idea what to do there. was nt feeling safe to walk around the city as i didnt think people would speak english.

next day met a farang man in the hotel.  we went to a nice bar with some foreigners. met some nice local bar girls. one of them was laotian too. 

i cant ask a local where is a bar with hot girls.  ????????

On 12/26/2020 at 6:15 AM, eastbaybob said:

I always wonder what the guy eventually did when I read a post like this.  The thread was six pages long and then ended back in February.

Personally, I'd recommend Yala City for an interesting break.  I've met a couple philipino teachers there, and have seen an African gentleman, who I assumed was a teacher, so those three in maybe 10 visits to the city.  No airport but the train station is in the center of the city. I'd reythe Park View Hotel as it's in the security controlled section of the city.  The people are friendly an never see white tourists so you still might feel special.  Nothing much to do other than hang out and and just see a quiet Thai city.

i went to thammarat .  just south of surat thani.  no nasty foriegners their just a few teachers

On 2/7/2020 at 9:29 PM, yogavnture said:

I  posted this thread because i go to nakorn si thammarat.  and really like it thier.  no veggie restaurants i really like but all the veggies are in the market and i found a nice quiet hotel that will cook for me.  decent massage their and good gyms .  thats all i need to keep me happy................the thais in thammarat have to be the freindliest in thailand...........so now im thinking of going farther afoot......i saw the lakes on google maps of songkhla and the city looks like its in a interesting geological spot........no airport  though??

I thought people only went to NST to hire contract killers (from my Thai friends this is what it seems to be famous for)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, yogavnture said:

how would you know?

I didn't, it was an assumption because there had been no follow-up since February ~ just before Covid-19 became an issue.

It's rather nice when people looking for help and advice return to the topic they started to give an update.

Glad to know you found what you were looking for.

Edited by Stocky

hat yai is the bees knees. used to do border runs every month back in 2003. scooter down to sadao or padang (sp) quick in and out and that was it.

back then it was not a great city for foreigners but has come a long way. loads of great places to eat now and even a central lol.  songkhla (samila ?) beach is not far from the city and now i hear is quite developed.  really nice waterfall out kuang luang way. tong na cha ? 

i went to thammarat .  just south of surat thani.  no nasty foriegners their just a few teachers

How did you find it?

I found nice and quiet, but the locals not as friendly as some other regions.  

The beaches have so much potential, but very dirty with garbage. So much plastic, broken wood, fishing net, sharp cans, broken glass. 

4 minutes ago, Patong2021 said:

How did you find it?

I found nice and quiet, but the locals not as friendly as some other regions.  

The beaches have so much potential, but very dirty with garbage. So much plastic, broken wood, fishing net, sharp cans, broken glass. 

trang.

Quiet a lot of place in the south where there are not many Farang, Trang, Phattalung, go right down to the boarder to a place called Su-ngai Kolok I didn't see one farang and the drove all along the boarder to Satun saw a couple there.

Good fun when get of the beaten track and you stop in the little villages to get something to eat and you start speaking Thai to them one place I could hear the lady on the phone to her friends telling them hansum farang stop to eat in her shop 555

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

This 'city' data has the same problem as all the others, when it gives a figure for Hat Yai, that is for tambon Hat Yai only. You can see the figure for Bangkok is equally spurious.

2020-12-30 11_00_51-Thailand_ Major Cities, Towns & Communes - Population Statistics, Maps, Charts, .jpg

Hat Yai city itself comprises more than the tambon that bears its name. When you add all the districts that comprise the municipal area the population is around 400k.

Edited by Stocky