Coronavirus: “we have done our best”, says Thai health minister

rooster59

21 minutes ago, Traubert said:

We are not brainwashed. The Central Plenary Committee of the State Council of the Peoples Republic of China says so. Twice a week.

So it must be right. ????

I've been trying to figure out the difference between brainwashing and education,the conclusion I drew was it depends which side one is on.I think I was brainwashed with education.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FarFlungFalang said:

I've been trying to figure out the difference between brainwashing and education,the conclusion I drew was it depends which side one is on.I think I was brainwashed with education.

I think your brain has been washed with something completely different ????

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, saengd said:

Yes agreed, the hysteria, rumor mongering, panic and conjecture are worse than the virus could ever be and this forum goes a long way to helping that, why it is not controlled esca....actually no it doesn't!

A little bit of panic and fear is a good thing, if it spurs EVERYONE here to be more cautious and observe hygiene protocols at a time like this.

I see more Thai people outside in BKK wearing masks now -- both the drugstore variety AND the N95 type -- than I ever saw because of air pollution. And hand cleaning gels are pretty much sold out, so obviously some folks here are buying and using them.

All of that means any virus presence that arrives here is going to be less likely to spread as far and as fast as it otherwise would.  And in my book, that's a good thing!  A bit of fear can absolutely be a good thing.

6 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

And the generals appointing them have experience of running a country government from what experience ? 

And the foreigners criticizing them have what experience and understanding of running a country?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A little bit of panic and fear is a good thing, if it spurs EVERYONE here to be more cautious and observe hygiene protocols at a time like this.

I see more Thai people outside in BKK wearing masks now -- both the drugstore variety AND the N95 type -- than I ever saw because of air pollution. And hand cleaning gels are pretty much sold out, so obviously some folks here are buying and using them.

All of that means any virus presence that arrives here is going to be less likely to spread as far and as fast as it otherwise would.  And in my book, that's a good thing!  A bit of fear can absolutely be a good thing.

Agreed, the key words being "everyone" and "a little bit".

But this is kinda like the motorcycle helmet issue , that risk to life that the government has been trying to crack now for at least twenty years and still isn't there yet. Fact is that people fundamentally don't care, no fear is their motto which all too often translates into no sense either! So upping the fear index is not that productive, sure it may spur  some percentage to act but overall I see it as harmful and the evidence for that is the nonsense of astronomical death rates being pushed in these threads, the ones that are scaring otherwise rational people and doing more harm than good.

13 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

Most posts bash every thing thai. It just depends on the thread subject. 

I am not saying it does'nt happen and i've read a lot of things that make me cringe, but I think sometimes you are looking for the thai bashing in posts though. Again I still think most of the bashing seems to be directed at the media/government, but that is just my opinion

EDIT : I meant you in a broader sense

Edited by CraigInBangkok
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

Probably just as much as ai Anutin, but would probably do a much better job of it.

At least the man got to be head of the armed forces of a country, most of those offering up critiques of his performance wont have got much higher than two stripes, if they even served at all.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, darksidedog said:

After yesterdays performance, I don't think there can be many foreigners who will respect anything that comes out of the health ministers mouth. I note that when being interviewed he wasn't wearing a mask, not even one of the crappy ones he was trying to force people to wear yesterday.

He was indeed, it was just around his neck.

The constant fidgeting with and adjusting of the mask is potentially as "dangerous" as not wearing one.

Then of course is the possibility of being infected through the eye, but never mind.

2 hours ago, saengd said:

If countries start stopping all flights from China, as they are doing, it won't be long before they start stopping flights from Thailand also.

And then we are locked in, virus spreading, no mouthmasks for sale, no way out.....just sit and wait for who's next.

3 hours ago, BigBadGeordie said:

Clearly the Minister is well qualified to deal with health related matters.

Anutin completed secondary education at Assumption College and higher education in engineering from Hofstra University in 1989.

Anuthin was formerly an engineer, and has worked in many private companies including the position of Managing Director of Sino-Thai Engineering and Construction Public Company Limited. 

That hardly makes him unusual. Current UK minister of health "worked for his family business, as an economist at the Bank of England, and as Chief of Staff to the Shadow Chancellor of the Exchequer." Is that idiot any better qualified than this idiot?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Thian said:

And then we are locked in, virus spreading, no mouthmasks for sale, no way out.....just sit and wait for who's next.

Kinda like the people in Wuhan then!

The thing is with a virus there will be lots of people who remain unaffected or who will become minimally unwell if they develop the flu, at some point it will peter out and that will be the end of the matter.

“we have done our best”, says Thai health minister

wonder what he meant by that.....it's like,  we can slow the contamination but we can't stop it,... are we supposed to feel safer after his comments... please GOD have mercy on these lost souls

Just now, Mavideol said:

“we have done our best”, says Thai health minister

wonder what he meant by that.....it's like,  we can slow the contamination but we can't stop it,... are we supposed to feel safer after his comments... please GOD have mercy on these lost souls

I think the missing words might be "to completely ruin this country.I'm a country member"!

1 hour ago, DannyCarlton said:

If you quote a salient fact on this forum, it's netiquette to provide a link. Not my quote, not up to me to provide the link.

Fair enough. It's just a damn sight quicker to do it yourself if you really want to know.

I mean if he's playing Candy Crush on the bog for an hour, that's an hour gone right? Or he could have been whisked off to quarantine and then you wont find out for a fortnight, plus press interviews and TV appearances. Time's money mate.

• Haha 1