Anutin firestorm: Wearing face masks is "being a responsible member of society", says leading doctor

rooster59

17 hours ago, Matzzon said:

So, before it was one foreigner. Now it´s a group! Oh dear, they do everything to sound good. Small children with bad self confidence.

Most Europeans were taught by their parents Never to take presents from strangers ????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, lagavulin1 said:

Most Europeans were taught by their parents Never to take presents from strangers ????

Strange comment. This is not to be considered as any kind of present. It was a good gesture of Thailand to offer free masks. You can also think that the foreigner that did not accept this was acting in a selfish and ignorant way. However, that does not excuse the health ministers bad choice of wording.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

But those who are feeling sick, who have been with sick people or who have been in an infected area should wear masks. In this sense wearing masks is being a responsible member of society, he said, in comments reported by Bangkok Biz News. 

Pretty lame defense. It certainly does not exonerate the incredibly obnoxious, ignorant, unqualified, and racist fool Anutin. Quite the contrary. They, and the WHO are basically saying, if you are feeling well, and you have not been around people who are infected with the virus, a mask is not necessary, nor will it help. What will help, and what Anutin does not know (because he does not come from a medical background, and was appointed entirely based on his family connections) is that washing your hands thoroughly, with a surgical scrub, ten times a day is the best prevention possible, along with trying to avoid touching your mouth, nose and eyes while out in public. 

He has not apologized to the foreign tourist and ex-pat community. An apology should be demanded of him. He said he was sorry for losing it. Not sorry for being racist and ranting against people who look different than he does. At this time, with the tourism market decimated even prior to corona, men like this cannot, and should not be tolerated by a nation that gets up to 22% of it's GDP from tourism. 

But, having said all of that, the army is very tolerant of super low quality, grossly under qualified, bottom of the barrel ministers. 

And don't forget drug dealers

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

Strange comment. This is not to be considered as any kind of present. It was a good gesture of Thailand to offer free masks. You can also think that the foreigner that did not accept this was acting in a selfish and ignorant way. However, that does not excuse the health ministers bad choice of wording.

It was the health ministers bad choice of removing the mask from the packaging with his unwashed bare hands and then when the mask was refused it was the health ministers bad choice to blame the farang for not accepting the germ ridden mask that the health minister was trying to give him

• Like 2

1 hour ago, koolkarl said:

Wearing a face mask signifies how polluted and sick Thailand is.

There are many other better countries to visit and live than Thailand.

So can I assume that you don’t stay in Thailand? Why bother posting here then?

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It was the health ministers bad choice of removing the mask from the packaging with his unwashed bare hands and then when the mask was refused it was the health ministers bad choice to blame the farang for not accepting the germ ridden mask that the health minister was trying to give him

Ok, must have missed to read that. I stand corrected in that case.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

You don't understand lagavulin post ; he forgot that smiley at the end of it  :cheesy:

( lagavulin , one of the best scott whisky ???? I remember drinking it in a previous life )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagavulin_distillery

Yes, I understand that it but it was not funny.

After that thank you for sharing the obvious information about a well know whiskey of high quality. I knew that too.

You have to decide if it´s Scott´s whiskey or a Scottish whiskey, though ????

Edited by Matzzon

2 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

Here in the rural towns and villages of Issan, there are many, many "irresponsible" members of Thai Society!! This doctor and Anutin want to come and see for themselves. 

Indeed, if you gave the folks in my local village a mask they would try and sell it or smoke it! as they wouldn't know what else to do with it!

Are the folks in rural England & USA all wearing masks or is it just at hysteria stage here? I can vaguely understand wearing a mask in Bangkok, Pattaya & CM, anywhere else ridiculous IMO - though nobody has asked me! ????

• Thanks 2

A leading Thai doctor responsible for stopping the spread of disease commented in the wake of health minister Anutin Charnvirakul's rant against a group of foreigners who did not accept his offer of face masks.

Oh, now it's a group of foreigners as opposed to one.........  Out come the porky pies....... 

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

Well, reading this reply has given me great confidence that someone in Government might be reading TVF, at least they might get the gist of what's really going on........  Please keep reading, you could probably do a lot of good for the country just off this site......... 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Matzzon said:

You can also think that the foreigner that did not accept this was acting in a selfish and ignorant way.

He was being far from ignorant but just following advice from pretty much all the health authorities, even the advice from the WHO in Thailand no less.

The ignorance was on the so called health minister.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

You don't understand lagavulin post ; he forgot that smiley at the end of it  :cheesy:

( lagavulin , one of the best scott whisky ???? I remember drinking it in a previous life )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagavulin_distillery

Yes I did. ????????????????????????.

For me Lagavulin is top three with Laphroaig & Talisker. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

No, if you are not showing symptoms you won't be coughing and sneezing. If you contaminate others it will likely be by touching your mouth, nose, eyes then touching objects such as door knobs and handrails. Hand hygene is far, far more important than wearing a mask.

So, you have never coughed or sneezed when you were not sick?

You never spit on anything while you were talking?

I agree that hand hygiene is important, but I don't understand why anyone would limit their efforts to minimize the spread of this virus.

On 2/8/2020 at 1:37 PM, rooster59 said:

In this sense wearing masks is being a responsible member of society, he said, in comments reported by Bangkok Biz News. 

So in other words, if someone isn't wearing a mask, even when they correctly know it is a load of <deleted>, they are deemed to be an irresponsible member of society. Give me a break, I am getting sick and tired of the over the top panic about this disease, and the <deleted> uttered by so called experts. 

Irresponsible is making a mountain out of a molehill, exactly what is going on here, nothing more to see, move along folks. Don't let these fear mongers get you down. Ignore, and be happy, no doubt this way you get to be as old as you could possibly be. Just be sure to be careful in traffic. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, timendres said:

So, you have never coughed or sneezed when you were not sick?

You never spit on anything while you were talking?

I agree that hand hygiene is important, but I don't understand why anyone would limit their efforts to minimize the spread of this virus.

I'm not Thai. I cough and sneeze into a handkerchief or my hand.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, sjaak327 said:

So in other words, if someone isn't wearing a mask, even when they correctly know it is a load of <deleted>, they are deemed to be an irresponsible member of society. Give me a break, I am getting sick and tired of the over the top panic about this disease, and the <deleted> uttered by so called experts. 

Irresponsible is making a mountain out of a molehill, exactly what is going on here, nothing more to see, move along folks. Don't let these fear mongers get you down. Ignore, and be happy, no doubt this way you get to be as old as you could possibly be. Just be sure to be careful in traffic. 

What do you expect from the same government whose solution for the river flood levels was putting a bunch of boats on top of the river to use their propellers push the water down quicker (can you say effect is negligible i.e. 0.000000000000001%) -- this to prove they were doing something. 

I suspect the outburst had less to do with foreigners or foreigners not being co-operative and more of an advance warning of what could be the government looking for some scapegoat when things get worse.  They cannot and do not want to use Chinese as a scapegoat for a virus that started in China (and they should not - virus are virus regardless of where it started the outbreak) -- so the next group of foreigners to blame would be farang (regardless whether any farang caught or spread the virus).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just another example of peer pressure.  The masks in general are in effective.  First of all, people use the masks over and over and over, they go home, put them on the kitchen shelf, put them on the next day and go out.  All the while the mask collects some spit, moisture, saliva with a bit of blood from the mornings teeth and gum brushing.  After day one, the person is breathing in through a filthy mask.  Now, not to mention the fact that the virus is so small that it passes easily through just about any mask that people are buying off the shelves.  There is some slight reduction in airborne things that the virus may have landed on, but I doubt it is measurable as far as reduction in infection rates to other people

• Like 2