How did shooter get weapons used in deadly Korat shooting?

webfact

22 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

@chickenslegs   I can see your point, but America hasn't used an M16 for a number of years. This guy must have had access to old stock as USA "stopped supporting" them.

I have pretty extensive footage of it all. He does use a battle rifle (Chinese H&k variant?) I can't really tell what it is. It  is a .223 though. 

The problem is, the news will have you thinking the <deleted> was walking around like Rambo with belts wrapped around him, feeding his machine gun.

I am very far away from being knowledgable about firearms. It just seems to me impossible that an M60 was being used - for the reasons you stated. 

Knowing the propensity for the Thai media to misreport the details (e.g. - Australians often being identified as Austrians and vice-versa) I thought that an M16 was more likely - being a very common weapon and easily carried.

@chickenslegs and that's a great outlook to have. Thank you for not demonizing me and seeing my opinion of things. They are only what I can see from film and pictures.

I wish that I could see this type of <deleted> happening in the future and stop it. Unfortunately, there are people <deleted> up enough to carry through with this and there is no way to stop it. 

There was ABSOLUTELY no cause for this. (Maybe the General and his wife deserved it).

21 minutes ago, dayward1 said:

@chickenslegs   I can see your point, but America hasn't used an M16 for a number of years. This guy must have had access to old stock as USA "stopped supporting" them.

I have pretty extensive footage of it all. He does use a battle rifle (Chinese H&k variant?) I can't really tell what it is. It  is a .223 though. 

The problem is, the news will have you thinking the <deleted> was walking around like Rambo with belts wrapped around him, feeding his machine gun.

The Thai military does use HK 33s, in addition to M-16s and others.  (They may be locally produced under license.) See info & closeup pic of Thai soldiers here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_%26_Koch_HK33 Thai military weapons:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_equipment_of_the_Royal_Thai_Army#Small_arms

The HK 33 is a derivative of the older G3 rifle, which is heavier and chambered for 7.62×51mm .

When my son was in Iraq with the USMC 15 years ago, he had a Colt-manufactured M16A2 which was already about 15-20 years old.  It was issued to him by his reserve unit. Others had the later M16A4 variant.  Some are still in service in non-infantry roles but the standard issue is the M4 carbine variant.   

image.png.bb775a6f14f61d672b6a91a4c47abc59.pngimage.jpeg.721897e7942aeb9eab21322813892178.jpeg

Guns are readily available in Thailand of every make, most Unregistered, Thai police use to have to buy their own handguns, now most get issued, The Question is where has all those Personal bought guns gone. There are numorse rifles of all shapes sizes and makes, Some Army issue rifles have been know to disappear. which brings into Question how good is the security of the Thai Army armament The wife is an Ex Small arms instructor for the Bangkok police. Thai son in law is ex Close protection to the New Thai king. I have seen my Son in law bring his weapons home,  If he can do this others can too, Not saying any get lost or sold but the opportunity is there,

On 2/10/2020 at 10:09 AM, webfact said:

How did shooter get weapons used in deadly Korat shooting?

The question itself is silly.

We all know, as do Thais, that there is little security or precaution taken for anything in Thailand.

Whether it's unsafe roads, balconies, electric or leaving laying about patient medical information, Thai culture seems to prefer a loose system and lack of controls.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dayward1 said:

My daughter is in the Thai Territorial Defense (age 17). She has trained on range with M16.

16 hours ago, Mark mark said:
Posted in How did shooter get weapons used in deadly Korat shooting?

Well, ... Just such a Total Tragedy ! and I do feel very sorry for the families and also the injured People !!!

But possibly something might just come out of it Re Gun Control, ... which would be in ALL of our world's benefit. .... Like after the Pt Author Massacre, in Tasmania Australia another Massacre almost the same as this one only the shooter was mentally deficient, not a militarily guy like here, and about the same number of Dead in that one as here I think ? After that John Howard's Gun Buy back was a VERY GOOD I think, like very good !

The gun advocates all say "Welll the criminals can all get them any way" ... but I say,... "Well OK, ... but the criminals are out side the law, and we usually just hut them down, as much as we can, given the usual legal restraints" ... (Like some dubious Human beings have atomic Bombs ! and we can do little about that) .... Like if a Criminal is likely to use a gun, for a massacre, then the Cops at least know who they are, and where they are !!! usually I think. ...

"It's not Guns that Kill people, it is People that Kill people" ! ? So they say, .... Well, "People that have access to a high standard of automatic Guns, ..... Kill, A LOT MORE PEOPLE ! 

Yes Howard's Gun Buy back was a VERY GOOD THING. and it WAS triggered, by the Port Anther Massacre. Which was almost the same as this one. .... And I think that these has not been a repeat of that size of shooting even close ! in Australia Since.

Hopefully Thailand will learn from this. ... and well also from the Lop-bury Gold shop incident, like which had a pretty similar message, .. Small to mid level, official People, ... who have access to totally inappropriate fire arms. 

Leta just, .... Limit ALL peoples access to High power and capacity Fire Arms !!!

This guy was a Senior career army NCO.

• Thanks 1

On 2/10/2020 at 11:00 AM, Peterw42 said:

That security scenario would fail if the general shot dead the guard, which is what happen at the armory

Funny they didn't think to post a guard without giving him a key to the padlock.

13 hours ago, WalkingOrders said:

This guy was a Senior career army NCO.

Yes Accepted ! ... And well YES difficult to control them, that high up in the Militarily, and we here, do need our Military,  ... but still with the amount of Innocent Dead in this incident, ... there still is a BIG case that he was able to get the Guns, and the Ammunition FAR too easily. ...

Like yes, unlike Gun ownership I guess .... This is an Internal Army Thing I guess .... Like people everywhere watch this incident, and read about it, ... and OTHER Senior Career Army Officers also do this also. .... And you know Humanist .... When off the rails, ... Copy the other Bad Guys ! ... Who also have provided you with a free test run, on how to do it ! ?  .... If there is another one like this, any time soon, I think that the Army itself is going to have a LOT of explaining to do. ...

Thanks for you post,  ... Yes I also DO get it. Thanks. ... I never thought about his rank or position much actually .... But yes, it WOULD make it easier for him to get the Weapons and Ammunition, wouldn't it. ...

....  SO here we are at the point that things obviously must have to start Changing in that organization, and well also in Similar Armed groups I think also … Like the Cops ? …. Right ?

3 minutes ago, Mark mark said:

Yes Accepted ! ... And well YES difficult to control them, that high up in the Militarily, and we here, do need our Military,  ... but still with the amount of Innocent Dead in this incident, ... there still is a BIG case that he was able to get the Guns, and the Ammunition FAR too easily. ...

Like yes, unlike Gun ownership I guess .... This is an Internal Army Thing I guess .... Like people everywhere watch this incident, and read about it, ... and OTHER Senior Career Army Officers also do this also. .... And you know Humanist .... When off the rails, ... Copy the other Bad Guys ! ... Who also have provided you with a free test run, on how to do it ! ?  .... If there is another one like this, any time soon, I think that the Army itself is going to have a LOT of explaining to do. ...

Thanks for you post,  ... Yes I also DO get it. Thanks. ... I never thought about his rank or position much actually .... But yes, it WOULD make it easier for him to get the Weapons and Ammunition, wouldn't it. ...

....  SO here we are at the point that things obviously must have to start Changing in that organization, and well also in Similar Armed groups I think also … Like the Cops ? …. Right ?

No. A military command either violated protocol, or failed to have an adequate protocol, or some combination of both. Proper actions to assess, and correct what failed, need to be taken to ensure that this does not happen again. I have an assumption that such actions probably would need to be taken by the entire Thai army command structure, but I know nothing about the Thai army from an operations or structure perspective. I have heard more then a few stories of drunken Thai officers pointing and shooting their side arms.  But that sounds like a discipline problem not related to this beyond the most general of terms. That's it.

As for all else, and broader issues of gun control, or police, or larger societal implications, I have no comment.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WalkingOrders said:

No. A military command either violated protocol, or failed to have an adequate protocol, or some combination of both. Proper actions to assess, and correct what failed, need to be taken to ensure that this does not happen again. I have an assumption that such actions probably would need to be taken by the entire Thai army command structure, but I know nothing about the Thai army from an operations or structure perspective. I have heard more then a few stories of drunken Thai officers pointing and shooting their side arms.  But that sounds like a discipline problem not related to this beyond the most general of terms. That's it.

As for all else, and broader issues of gun control, or police, or larger societal implications, I have no comment.

Thanks. Yes well on the track. Thanks.

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

I

1 hour ago, Mark mark said:

Thanks. Yes well on the track. Thanks.

To be brushed over and forgotten within the next month or so TIT. 

2 hours ago, Artisi said:

I

To be brushed over and forgotten within the next month or so TIT. 

Well, I would not say that, ...Things do Change ! .... Things ARE Changing ! ...

Like TIT !!!! Have you seen just how <Deleted> Up the EU is ? Or Australia ? with their limp handed ... Just Kick back your own supporters ... (Like, "This is Democracy") politicians !!! .... Or America with a Corrupt Builder, and Lying TV Reality show Host as President !!!! .... Ad he probably will get another term to continue working on making "His Own Family" .... (And Friends) ...GREAT !!!

... We should be happy with our, ... Really pretty Low corruption, and MUCH more socially responsible Government here !!! .... I BET this place stays up (Given you Thai Bashers on TV, who will (After putting your beers down) still be here, and looking for some one to literally <Deleted>) ....

... No it is OK here ..and I think that they MIGHT even get something done about it this time ! ... Like the <Our Person that I can Not mention> .... When the death told does go up !!! ... I think that Yes !!! they actually DO do something about it. 

Like this will be a REALLY good test of if they can !!! Given Human Beings ability to copy bad acts if they want to !!! and even improve on them !!! .... 

I know of two cases in the US of military rifles that "went missing".  One was an M-16, the other was an M249 light machine gun.  The latter was found under a guy's bed at his Mom's house after he was killed near Fallujah. These things have legs.

8 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Well, I would not say that, ...Things do Change ! .... Things ARE Changing ! ...

Like TIT !!!! Have you seen just how <Deleted> Up the EU is ? Or Australia ? with their limp handed ... Just Kick back your own supporters ... (Like, "This is Democracy") politicians !!! .... Or America with a Corrupt Builder, and Lying TV Reality show Host as President !!!! .... Ad he probably will get another term to continue working on making "His Own Family" .... (And Friends) ...GREAT !!!

... We should be happy with our, ... Really pretty Low corruption, and MUCH more socially responsible Government here !!! .... I BET this place stays up (Given you Thai Bashers on TV, who will (After putting your beers down) still be here, and looking for some one to literally <Deleted>) ....

... No it is OK here ..and I think that they MIGHT even get something done about it this time ! ... Like the <Our Person that I can Not mention> .... When the death told does go up !!! ... I think that Yes !!! they actually DO do something about it. 

Like this will be a REALLY good test of if they can !!! Given Human Beings ability to copy bad acts if they want to !!! and even improve on them !!! .... 

"Low corruption and socially responsible goverment" must surely put you into the comedian  of the year competition. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Artisi said:

"Low corruption and socially responsible goverment" must surely put you into the comedian  of the year competition. 

The Corruption is Transparent here, everyone knows about it and can see it, ..... It is just another business cost, and I just factor it in accordingly.  And Business costs here are ALL MUCH lower than in most other so called Developed Western Countries.  So it is not a Moral problem ? Well in most cases here. As Thailand IS Transparent, so we all know what is going on, and we all can make our own decisions about it. And what to do about it if we have to.

It is the so called Squeaky Clean countries like the EU and Australia that Preach, what you probably believe, … and they Preach it just so Piously, and strongly, ... how Realy clean THEY all are, and how all of us other Poor so called Corrupt countries, should just clean it up, .... (Or be cleaned up by them right ! ? and thanks for this you so called, Good people ???)  .... But in Reality are just as Dirty, and Just Hide their Corruption, !!!  ... YES they ALL Lie to the People. ...

The Politicians are all bought, ... and the Political parties, only ever do any thing for, and kick back their OWN supporters, or those lucky enough to be in Marginal electorates ! and if that is not just about totally corrupting, so called, Democracy !!! ... I do not know what it ! ? 

… The Justice system in every place, still favors the rich, so the Corrupt and Thieving, YES they steal the Investors money, and every one just says "Oh Investors, Rich Bastards", and ignore it ... The rich people that sort this corruption out, .. pay the workers ! But not the Poor retired Investors !!! - (Like the Workers have Unions, once again, with money and Money = Political power, so the workers usually get paid when the Directors there just steal all of the companies money .... Or just waist it I guess ? an many other marginal cases also.) ...

.... Yes in Australia, at least I DO know that some of the company Directors and CEO's DO STEAL !!! .... and then just get a smack on the fingers, and go back to their Dodgiely obtained Apartment in the Gold coast, and Put "Don't bother me, just call my Lawyer" on to their answer Machine ! … And go down to the Pub ! ? ... Or to a Nice Restaurant !!!   

...  (Well the Malaysians Lie and are Dirty also, and the Vietnamese are still just Incredible, with their One Party Government Corruption, to a point that I think that most people that have not experienced it first hand, probably would not believe !!! )

Yes Thailand is Comparatively ! IS a lot LOT better .... I think.

I do business only of trading Stocks, like a retirement Job, and Interest, like I just LOVE new Technology and Ideas ! ... So that is mostly what I invest in, and NOT Coal mines OR Gambling, or Tobacco. ... But as far as being cheated by the CEO and the Boards of Directors, of some of the companies that I do own some shares in, who if they Lie (Like they can Lie, as they are from the right side of town right, the rich Moneyed side ...That can buy the Politicians, and well subsequently corrupt the Law system itself like In A!!!  ….. Well I had better not go there I think. …  ) ... if they Lie, usualy they are just let off or can escape any way, ... Using all of the money that they stole to do it !!!

... Yes I have been Cheated and lost money d/t Fraud and Lies, Much MUCH more in Australia, … than I have in Thailand. 

I think also that the fact that if the Directors do steel our money here, well they might just have a bad experience while out driving in their car, .... or going down to the shop on their motor bike, and I think that is a GOOD thing ! ... Like as far as I can see they just do not outright Steal, in the Listed Companies ... Like they DO do back in Australia ??? ... and probably in the EU also.

... And I will rest my case on his note, … and just have another look at my Australian stocks.

… I like Living here, and also trading stocks, IN Thailand Mate. ... And I have been doing it for 30 years now ... and still have just a bit more, that I started off with, ! …  And well I have a BIG extended Family .... And though a frugal liver my self, (My alcohol bill being about my only Major expense Right !!! ... Wooops !!!) But my costs d/t the Extended Family, ... Like My Philanthropy in life, though I DO keep them in line, liek I am Old so can do this in Thailand .... but my expenses are pretty high also ....

So well, I rave ? But I am still here ..I HAVE DONE IT !!! ... Invested in Companies and in Technology and LIFE ! and I have done it from Thailand !!! and I still am here and also have my money as well. .... Not rich and I probably never will be ... but there always is an opportunity right ! and particularly here in Thailand which has a Positive outlook, to support this ! ? Right ? - So I ALSO can talk yo you other people about it right also .. as i HAVE Proven it up to a point, well the Point of decent survival !!! Which well is the only real success we need any way isn't it ???