Army chief admits Korat shooting spree reflects poor treatment of army rank-and-file

webfact

Army chief admits shooting spree reflects poor treatment of army rank-and-file

000_1K498W.jpg

File photo (Photo by Lillian SUWANRUMPHA / AFP)

Army Commander-in-Chief Gen Apirat Kongsompong confirmed this morning that a failed land deal prompted army man Sergeant Major Jakrapanth Thomma to go on a shooting rampage that killed 30 people before he was shot dead by security forces while being holed up in a major shopping mall in Nakhon Ratchasima on Sunday morning.

He admitted that incident reflected what he described as a problem of  inadequate welfare and poor treatment of the army rank-and-file by their superiors.

Speaking at a press conference, the army chief detailed the sequence of events that led to the shooting spree and the 14-hour dramatic siege at Terminal 21 shopping complex in downtown Nakhon Ratchasima.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/army-chief-admits-shooting-spree-reflects-poor-treatment-of-army-rank-and-file/

thaipbs.jpg

• Sad 3
  • Thanks 1

This would be a good time to look into what the top army brass get paid (both above board and below) including all the perks. Then look at an equalization policy to show some appreciation to the soldiers who do "the heavy lifting".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colinneil said:

Well Apirat finally the truth is out.... Amazing.

How was it that an NCO was involved in business deals with a senior officer?

No way would things run smoothly in that situation, the senior man would ride rough shod over the junior.

As happened in this case, and MAJOR loss of life occurred, the army senior command should hang their heads in shame, as they were responsible for what happened.

To state it was the army senior command's fault has no basis of fact. You are making this up. Are you suggesting that Army command should have intimate understanding of all personal relationship with all officers? Please offer some sort of balanced understanding of how army command was to have known of the murderer being  financially involved with his superior's family member to back up this bizarre statement. Because I really can't think of one.

I'm unsure how you get hold of all these theories you come up with.

• Sad 6

26 minutes ago, billd766 said:

That comes to about USD $11/£8.50 per day.

I was earning that much as a newly minted RAF airman back in 1962 or 58 years ago.

How much scrambled egg did you have on your hat to be paid that much ?

I joined the RN in 1963 at seven guineas a week ! and when I resigned five years later as lieutenant was still on less than forty pounds a week including London allowance 

• Like 1

Based on the mother's reported comments that Jakrapanth was known to be hot tempered, I hope the military will also do a thorough review of its psychological screening and periodic re-evaluation procedures for all personnel.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Business transactions between officers and enlisted members is strictly forbidden in the British armed forces. Even lending money is taboo. I'm sure this will be true in all of the developed countries forces.

It's called conflict of interest regulations of course. And most developed governments and public employers have those kinds of regulations.

The undeniable logic of it being, it's kind of hard for a commanding officer to be objective and fair in evaluating those under his command when some are buying houses from his MIL and others aren't, some are working as agents for his MIL and others aren't, etc etc.

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, PJPom said:

How much scrambled egg did you have on your hat to be paid that much ?

I joined the RN in 1963 at seven guineas a week ! and when I resigned five years later as lieutenant was still on less than forty pounds a week including London allowance 

None. I was a lowly airman.