Marine Department chief bans deadly tour speedboat drivers, calls for captain training

webfact

Marine Department chief bans deadly tour speedboat drivers, calls for captain training

By The Phuket News

1581391767_1-org.jpg

Marine Department Chief Witthaya Yamuang inspects the site of the tour speedboat collision yesterday afternoon (Feb 10). Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Marine Department Chief Witthaya Yamuang arrived in Phuket yesterday afternoon to be briefed personally on the tour speedboat collision that killed two Russian children and injured more than a dozen more tourists earlier yesterday morning (Feb 10).

The collision, between tour boat ALP 111 and the tour speedboat Payan 5, occurred in the channel linking Phuket Boat Lagoon and Royal Phuket Marina to Phang Nga Bay at about 8am.

Marine Department Chief Witthaya visited both marinas and the site of the collision as part of his inspection.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/marine-department-chief-bans-deadly-tour-speedboat-drivers-calls-for-captain-training-74772.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2020-02-11
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Does anyone actually know what is required to captain one of these vessels? Are there levels, such as with trucks ? i.e over a certain length requires a different license ? 

Yes, depending on tonnage there are different categories.

35 minutes ago, eezergood said:

Does anyone actually know what is required to captain one of these vessels? Are there levels, such as with trucks ? i.e over a certain length requires a different license ? 

And some sort of licence to carry paying passengers. This would require a higher level of certification/training. 

After many fatal accidents, someone wakes up only because it has become a fashion to be present in the news, do your job properly without talking too much about it, all over the world the maritime law is valid only in Thailand nobody respects it!
I did a motor boat license 30 years ago, it is valid only for private use and it took me a few months to do it.
What I have seen here is that many of the so-called "Captains" cannot even distinguish the right from the left.

• Like 2

Exactly how is the ministry going to enforce this ban? They lack honest people on the ground to enforce anything. I have never heard of a country as bad as Thailand for these boating accidents. Ferries overloaded, no life jackets, no training...what could possibly go wrong?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, madmitch said:

So how on earth do they get to become "captains" then. In most countries it's a position that needs to be earned with many, many hours of work-related training.

Why do they hand out driving licenses to people? Why should boat drivers (or captains as you call them) be treated differently?

• Like 1

The right decission, maybe a little bit late, but right. You can start with;

1. Learn them to read.

2. Learn them to understand what they are reading.

3. Learn them that what they read also apply to them.

4. Learn them the rules of being a captain and following the rules of good seamanship.

It will take you at least 10 years without any boat traffic, but not take that to hard. After all you are at the momet and, in this case 13 centurys behind the rest of the world, so that is a short time.

• Like 1