To bag or not to bag?

farangUSA

23 hours ago, CharlieH said:

Depends on the volume, if its a few items I couldnt care one way or the other, if its more I prefer to pack the bag myself so its done correctly with tins heavy items etc on the bottom, bread, soft items at the top and so on.

Most in my experience couldnt care less and things end up damaged, crushed etc when they do it in the usual haphazard way.

Spot on.

I am fed up of squashed bread, tomatoes etc and juice and sauce in the bottom of the bag where it has spilt out of rubbish plastic containers.

On 2/11/2020 at 9:13 PM, jany123 said:

I put my consumables straight from shelf into old plastic bag and hand that to the check out chick and wait until she hands it back... easy.

You could leave yourself wide open as a shop lifter via CCTV....????

When I go to our local Tesco Lotus I always have some plastic bags folded up in my shoulder manbag and when I get to the checkout I just let them scan stuff through while I unpack my trolley.  Once its all out I move onto putting back into my trolley if its big or a large hard item any smaller stuff I take a bag and pack it myself.  All this time the check out person is getting agitated because she is waiting for me to pay but I dither and keep packing until I have finished then I turn my attention to paying the bill.

If I don't make them wait they start stacking the next customer stuff on top of mine. The checkout people are under the pump from the boss to be quick so I think I am helping them get a short rest the poor things.

Anyway if they think they are helping the environment then they must be because the government tells them so.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, OOTAI said:

When I go to our local Tesco Lotus I always have some plastic bags folded up in my shoulder manbag and when I get to the checkout I just let them scan stuff through while I unpack my trolley.  Once its all out I move onto putting back into my trolley if its big or a large hard item any smaller stuff I take a bag and pack it myself.  All this time the check out person is getting agitated because she is waiting for me to pay but I dither and keep packing until I have finished then I turn my attention to paying the bill.

If I don't make them wait they start stacking the next customer stuff on top of mine. The checkout people are under the pump from the boss to be quick so I think I am helping them get a short rest the poor things.

Anyway if they think they are helping the environment then they must be because the government tells them so.

Yeah no doubt the cashier appreciates the break but there is only so much 'jai yen yen" or the ability for those in line not to pass on the frustration from the slow down in the check out process.  We are being conditioned to load our own bags but in the past the checkout people did that. Jobs are lost and you are in effect then an unpaid employee violating the terms of your visa/extention.  Oh for the folks that are having problems with the way the bag is packed I can sympathize with you. Maybe leaving the fragile items until the end to be packed last will help. 

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, transam said:

You could leave yourself wide open as a shop lifter via CCTV....????

Or simply ensure that the receipt for what’s in the bag, is in the bag. CCTV is not your enemy.... unless you are in fact shoplifting. Personally, I don’t mind having my shopping checked by security, I see it as a service and it takes but a moment.

2 hours ago, farangUSA said:

Yeah no doubt the cashier appreciates the break but there is only so much 'jai yen yen" or the ability for those in line not to pass on the frustration from the slow down in the check out process.  We are being conditioned to load our own bags but in the past the checkout people did that. Jobs are lost and you are in effect then an unpaid employee violating the terms of your visa/extention.  Oh for the folks that are having problems with the way the bag is packed I can sympathize with you. Maybe leaving the fragile items until the end to be packed last will help. 

Sorry if English is not your first language as you obviously didn't pick up on the fact that I was being sarcastic.

As for "working" then by your stupid definition I am breaching my Visa when I put the stuff into the trolley.

The reason I take my time IS because I am jacked off about them not helping me pack my stuff into the bags they just try and quickly move all your stuff through the scanner and then stack on top of itself on the other side while I am still "working" getting my stuff out of the trolley. Maybe where you shop they have both a cashier AND a packer but where I go they are the same person so no jobs are lost.

My main gripe is not that they stopped using bags but they happened yet learned to ask if I have any bags before they just start pushing stuff through the scanner. If they asked I would give them the bags and then I would hope that they would use them and stack my purchases into them making it easier for me to not have to "work" to get the stuff back into my trolley. Stick your "jai yen yen". 

56 minutes ago, OOTAI said:

Sorry if English is not your first language as you obviously didn't pick up on the fact that I was being sarcastic.

As for "working" then by your stupid definition I am breaching my Visa when I put the stuff into the trolley.

The reason I take my time IS because I am jacked off about them not helping me pack my stuff into the bags they just try and quickly move all your stuff through the scanner and then stack on top of itself on the other side while I am still "working" getting my stuff out of the trolley. Maybe where you shop they have both a cashier AND a packer but where I go they are the same person so no jobs are lost.

My main gripe is not that they stopped using bags but they happened yet learned to ask if I have any bags before they just start pushing stuff through the scanner. If they asked I would give them the bags and then I would hope that they would use them and stack my purchases into them making it easier for me to not have to "work" to get the stuff back into my trolley. Stick your "jai yen yen". 

Put your paid for stuff back in the trolley, when you get outside, or in a clear space, transfer into your own bags....????

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, transam said:

Put your paid for stuff back in the trolley, when you get outside, or in a clear space, transfer into your own bags....????

I thought they had stopped offering bags not service as well.

If I'm holding up their customers they can assist me by offering a service to help me i.e. they can put the stuff back into my trolley not on the shelf next to the register after scanning where I have to get it for my self.

It is of no concern to me if their customers get held up and therefore upset, I hope they go away and shop somewhere else to perfectly honest.

• Haha 1

I am not sure what its like in some countries, but coming from England there were never bag fillers, you were expected to do it yourself. I always thought it was very much a US thing having a designated person to bag your stuff. Personally i just bag it myself, if the person is there i sought of awkwardly pass them belongings to put into the bag which i am more than capable of doing myself.

• Like 1

" I am curious if you choose to fill your bag and assist the cashier? Traditionally this is done by the store employee. Moreover, I see this as taking a job away from a Thai citizen and a violation of the terms of my retirement." - NEVER EVER fill your own bag. It's the cashier's job. You never know if an undercover IO is standing in the queue behind you waiting to bust you for illegally volunteering without a work permit.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 1:34 PM, bbi1 said:

" I am curious if you choose to fill your bag and assist the cashier? Traditionally this is done by the store employee. Moreover, I see this as taking a job away from a Thai citizen and a violation of the terms of my retirement." - NEVER EVER fill your own bag. It's the cashier's job. You never know if an undercover IO is standing in the queue behind you waiting to bust you for illegally volunteering without a work permit.

Let's hope that doesn't happen and probably won't.

https://mashable.com/2016/02/05/bridge-club-pattaya/

On 3/1/2020 at 5:31 PM, Katherinep said:

Choosing to fill the bags yourself and help the cashier out sounds like a nice thing to do. I would personally choose to fill the bags myself so i can arrange the items in bag the way its easier for me to carry.

I think it is nice thing to do as well, however the end game is total self service/ checkout with Thai jobs lost and you performing the tasks without pay traditionally performed by the cashier.

• Sad 1