Army chief's reform pledge draws skepticism

webfact

Army chief's reform pledge draws skepticism

By Wichit Chaitrong
The Nation

800_19246e8623bee17.jpeg?v=1581520672

Army Chief General Apirat Kongsompong

Critics are skeptical of Army Chief General Apirat Kongsompong's pledge to reform the army, unless the military is open to be scrutinised by independence anti-graft organisations.

“It is just a show,” said Titipol Pkadeewanich, dean of the Ubon Ratchathani University, in response to Apirat's promise to reform the army following the mass shooting in Korat over the weekend.

Apirat held a lengthy press conference to offer his apology for the tragic incident committed by a lone solider in Nakhon Ratchasima. Apirat conceded there are many private businesses in the military in which some high ranking officers have taken advantage of their subordinates. Reports suggested that Sergeant-Major First Class Jakrapanth Thomma killed his commander due to conflict over a property deal, before he went on a shooting spree that killed 29 people and injuries many others. He was later shot dead by security force.

Apirat also pledged to end the rights to own many types of weapons by  military personnel. Apirat also said retired officials must move out of military residential properties to make way for others.

Titipol said Apirat came out to apologise to the public because the army was under much pressure after the tragic incident, adding that he did not think there would be significant changes regarding his reform promises.

Corruption is a problem not only in the Army but also in the Navy and Air force. The public has known for a long time that retired officials refuse to move out of their residences in the military compounds. It is an act of  corruption that the National Anti-Corruption Commission and the Office of Auditor General of Thailand have never tackled, he noted.

“Military reform is much needed, but has been denied by the government and military,” said Titipol. Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has long complained about problems of politicians but he never admitted the problems in the military. While academics and politicians who criticised the military were attacked by government officials and military officers, Titipol pointed out.

“I don’t think that promises will be carried out and they will evaporate when public interest in the tragic event wanes,” he added.

Meanwhile, Mana Nimitmongkol, director of the Anti-Corruption Organisation of Thailand said it was a good sign that the Army chief had admitted that these problems must be solved soon. He, however, suggested that the Army needs outside help in order to make the reform effective. In the past, there was rampant corruption relative to the issuance of licences for new factories with Department Industrial Works’ officials demanding kickbacks. The collaboration between private sector and the Industry ministry had successfully resolved it, he said.

He also pointed out that the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) needs to strengthen its transparency assessment in order to reflect the real situation.

The NACC recently named the army the country’s most transparent agency under its Integrity and Transparency Assessment. That review was only paper work as the NACC did not look into the corrupt practices of many Army officers. The NACC needs to strengthen its evaluation method, he said.

While it is a change on the part of Apirat in promising to solve the issues, his actions if any will go against vested interest in the army, he said.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382044

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-13

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Corruption is a problem not only in the Army but also in the Navy and Air force.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

“Military reform is much needed, but has been denied by the government and military,”

There is another institution that can provide reform leadership on behalf of the Nation.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, webfact said:

" ..... retired officials refuse to move out of their residences in the military compounds. It is an act of  corruption ..... "

When I think of corruption, this is not quite what I think of as corruption.

This sounds more to me like just plane abuse.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, neeray said:

When I think of corruption, this is not quite what I think of as corruption.

This sounds more to me like just plane abuse.

Or just who gives a flying f... about the plebs

17 minutes ago, Iron Tongue said:

I see no mention of salary reform for the enlisted.

The SgtM that went on the rampage did it because he felt cheated out of USD1,600 worth of baht.  What a measely amount, yet shows what desperation can do to someone who felt he had nothing left to lose.

I have read that in fact the sum in dispute may have been much higher , more than Bt300,000 .

His 'reforms' all seem very weak.  As has already been said, no mention of important things like salary reform.  But, weak as they are, probably none will be done.  Just more meaningless lip service from an administration that only does meaningless lip service.

• Like 2

On 2/13/2020 at 3:41 AM, webfact said:

adding that he did not think there would be significant changes regarding his reform promises.

So the purpose of the inquiry is what?  Nothing will change; Thais will continue to die whilst self-important people have meetings and then do nothing.  For the armed forces named above add police; all of which are keeping this country in the dark ages.

• Like 2

Most of what is on the list are simple . You create the order and it's followed. So what could be so difficult?

The toes of importance being stepped on, and the fear involved, and the compromises made, and the prevention to act money paid, and the failure to act, and then it's memory, and then it's forgotten. Case closed.

21 hours ago, Bob12345 said:

"Hornored" you mean.

You know what is really horrible about this picture? It would take 20 minutes for a guy with a stencil and a couple cups of paint from the paint locker to fix it. Some nice English speaking person could point out the error to the entire base command structure using Google, and showing corrections, but I bet it wouldn't get fixed. You would need an authorization from central command in triplicate. Blue ink only with the proper stamps dated no earlier then 24 hours from paint authorization.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1