Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

rooster59

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

63 year old pensioner, WOW, last check, you had to be 67 + to get the pension in the land of Oz. Maybe he is on a disability pension ?

I can tell you one thing, if these clowns think they are funny by claiming this guy to be a hiding kangaroo because of his nationality, it just goes to show how pathetic and child like minds they have, real "racists" trying to justify the taxpayer dollars spent for their BMW ride.

Yeah , if he's 63 he wouldn't even qualify for the previous age of 65 

• Sad 1

40 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I wonder how they would describe an Austrian, then.

"hiding ibex"?

"from the land of yodeling"?

In any case, I think it's rather denigrating if a state agency and the media use such stereotypes to describe a person. If western immigration agencies would refer to an overstayer from Thailand as a "hiding water buffalo" or "from the land of fermented fish sauce" the public would be outraged - and rightfully so.

It is really a problem with Australia and Austria. And perhaps the description might come from the overstayer himself. Normally Austria is described as "No kangeroos but mountains". 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

63 year old pensioner, WOW, last check, you had to be 67 + to get the pension in the land of Oz. Maybe he is on a disability pension ?

I can tell you one thing, if these clowns think they are funny by claiming this guy to be a hiding kangaroo because of his nationality, it just goes to show how pathetic and child like minds they have, real "racists" trying to justify the taxpayer dollars spent for their BMW ride.

I got my pension at 65

• Like 1

The media said that Region 4 immigration had received a tip that a foreigner was wandering about in the Khanun area of Sisaket, though the informant did not know the man's actual address.

I'd have thought that it's Khun Han district and a foreigner has reported him. If so, shame on this foreigner. Ditch the snitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkidlad said:

What does this even mean? He was snitched on. That’s how immigration suspected he was on overstay. What on god’s green earth does a waste-of-money BMW have to do with it? Other than the fact that the immigration officers could have been driving a tuk tuk and it would have made zero difference to the outcome. 

The so called "smart car" is not a waste of money It can catch kangeroos on the run.

They should sell it to farmers in the Northern territory In Australia, where the kangeroos are considered real pests.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sonhia said:

If anything, overstayers should be welcomed, after all they must still live and so spend money.

Tourism down, people loosing employment and yet they are kicking out overstaters that help bolster local Thai economies.

If they are an overstayer then they likely are one of two categories - one a criminal (the smaller group) - or two they do not have the means to qualify (and thus have little benefit to Thailand allowing him to live here).  It does not even indicate he is married and thus might have a reason to stay here even though he cannot afford to.   I expect there is a finders fee for turning in overstayers (a small reward).  He is definitely not smart if he thinks moving out to a small village (where you get to know who is local and who is not) to avoid immigration.  Criminals tend to be smarter IMHO.  I use to live in a small city that had the distinction of having 5 prisons... If ANY one escaped the first thing they would do his head as quickly to a major city to blend in.  If they stay local eventually with a smaller population that person will run into someone who is able to identify that he is an escapee - even without an active manhunt.  Simply put, allowing someone who does not even have the funds to stay locally is not going to improve the economy.

• Like 1