Immigration's BMW "smart car" nabs snitched on overstaying Australian pensioner - he thought hiding in a country village would keep him safe

rooster59

6 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Your speculation is nothing more than a twisted guess.... He overstayed his visa and nothing in the story pointed to him being a paedo at all.

And I never said he was. But maybe, just maybe, there is more to this story than is published - and why somebody put him in.

Bit like the 'I got denied entry posts'...... There is always a back story we will never hear.

Perhaps the Australian embassy or the Federal Police request immigration to get him. Who knows? I don't, but I bet there is more to this than meets the eye.

Edited by emptypockets

56 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

It's not the Thais you have to worry about. There will be many vindictive, jealous and plain down right nasty farang who will do the job for them.

How can a nasty farang know if someone is on overstay if he doesn´t tell him?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SupermarineS6B said:

Nope, moved to Malaysia, don't get anything from immigration, only "Welcome Sir"......... When i first came to Thailand if you had a pulse they used to welcome you, mind you that was when they were broke...... Bit like a bug eating bargirl one minute, then she won't eat nothing but the best steak money can buy the next....... Both the Bargirl and Thailand has forgotten where they came from.......... 

Trust me, the Malaysians will dislike you more than the Thais. Hell they don't even like each other.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

How do the BMW’s fit into the investigations into overstays?

do they just have a computer for checking Immigration information?

A

6 hours ago, rkidlad said:

What does this even mean? He was snitched on. That’s how immigration suspected he was on overstay. What on god’s green earth does a waste-of-money BMW have to do with it? Other than the fact that the immigration officers could have been driving a tuk tuk and it would have made zero difference to the outcome. 

TATA mini truck would be just as good!

5 hours ago, Grumpy John said:

It took my wife 9 years to figure out I was from Australia, not from Austria!   And that's after 3 trips down there!  It got tiring explaining Australia is between Indonesia and New Zealand......and Austria is next to Yermany. 

Wow! And how do explain that to your family and friends back in Oz? She is geographically illiterate? 

6 hours ago, Psimbo said:

All this angst on many threads over the type of vehicle they are using. In the big scheme of things who gives a toss what sort of car they have? If I'm travelling long distances around the country I'd want a bit of comfort instead of a Hilux as well.

Get over it. 

The point is first the cost of the car at over 3 x the cost of a Hilux second gone are the days uncomfortable pickups, now they are very comfortable and third is the use of terms to discribe a vehicle with someone sitting in it with a laptop when the hero of this tale was a mobile phone used to grass up an old boy trying to live his life. Again as many have said the waste of money car and it had zero to do with the arrest and totally missed by many is the racist remarks constantly made by Thai officials. Feel the love..... 

Edited by Scot123
Change
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, CNXexpat said:

How can a nasty farang know if someone is on overstay if he doesn´t tell him?

I think the bitchy coffee circles figure each other out quickly. Wouldn't be surprised if they put someone on the outside of their inner circle into immigration just for fun to see what happens even if the guy us perfectly legal.

Thank you all for the good laugh ... Nothing like the Trumpers and Brexiteers cryng 24/7 ... "because foreigners are ruining our country" ... calling Thai Immigration "xenophobic" for enforcing clear and easy to understand rules.  Thank You!  I LOVE the smell of pure HYPOCRISY!  

6 minutes ago, CraigInBangkok said:

Even if there is more too the story, to even mention someone maybe a paedo without any facts is pretty low if you ask me.

Understand what you are saying. Thanks for your opinion. I also have mine. Please try and understand I did not allege this guy was a paedo, I simply said SEA is a hot spot for those sorts.

It makes me sick to my stomach and extremely sad that now Thais are looking out for farangs that eventually could be on overstay. What a sickening way of doing was implemented in Thais thinking and behavior!!!??? Go on growing Thais hate of farang! One day more of them will stay away and tourist numbers will drop even more. Who wants to travel to a country where hate is goal of the government? Keep on going...

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Or working orphanages for that matter. The only old guys I know living in villages are all married

Of course no married men have ever been convicted of crimes against children.

Having worked with offenders the majotiy by of child sex offenders are known to their victims, frequently related and frequently married.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Thumbs said:

So again trying to justify the purchase of a BMW cop car, the guy was grassed up by local villagers, they could have caught him on a bicycle using a mobile phone

Might have taken a lot longer or never happened at all. With facial recognition they can cruise the streets scanning hundreds of people until they get a match. Bit hard to do that on a push bike.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

55 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They now require a massive stack of paperwork from the bank. only since last month. Separate documents for each deposit over the course of the past year, paperwork about the account dating back to the time you opened the account, and more. It is beyond inane. Probably a deal the banks worked out with immigration, to discourage guys who do not want to keep their 400,000 tied up in the bank all year, interest free. It cost 500 per month of documents, plus 200 baht for the fee. 6,200 total. Abusive. Beyond abusive. Extortion. 

Holy Malarkey! That's like putting your nipples in a vice grip. What is the purpose of this beyond absurd act of nipple twisting? 

Edited by holy cow cm

2 hours ago, CLW said:

Land of smiles. Nice bunch of people. Reporting foreigners to the police and immigration. Even if they are not doing any harm to them. Gestapo and Stasi are greeting! Hope those people deserve the right karma later on! 

Hey, but they are smiling after they get their big bad foreigner on overstay.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:
55 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Yes, there must have been as many as six or seven caught in the last 12 months.  Tremendous business.

But all those used by RTP and other agencies.

Even if that was true, which it isn't, what difference would it make to the numbers?  

By the way, you do know that Immigration officers are members of the RTP, yes?

8 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

Holy Malarkey! That's like putting your nipples in a vice grip. What is the purpose of this beyond absurd act of nipple twisting? 

To meet immigration requirements for those who can't or won't do the easy thing and put money in an interest bearing account in a Thai bank.

I'm sure billionaires would rather keep their money in stocks and shares at home but there aren't too many billionaires whingeing about 6200 baht.

Edited by emptypockets

INN referred to the arrested man as "from the land of kangeroos" in their headline. Source: INN

And INN could do with employing some one who knows a bit about the English language as a reporter!:-

"Kangaroos are one of many marsupials native to Australia,"

And all the time and expense incurred by Immigration to "catch" one elderly Aussie farang who had been grassed up by his neighbours - ridiculous! The money could have been far better spent on a new submarine!

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Even if that was true, which it isn't, what difference would it make to the numbers?  

By the way, you do know that Immigration officers are members of the RTP, yes?

AH that was not what was inferred or written, as you know, RTP, and other agencies does mean a link to Immigration.  Your comprehension or lack of

5 minutes ago, sambum said:

INN referred to the arrested man as "from the land of kangeroos" in their headline. Source: INN

And INN could do with employing some one who knows a bit about the English language as a reporter!:-

"Kangaroos are one of many marsupials native to Australia,"

And all the time and expense incurred by Immigration to "catch" one elderly Aussie farang who had been grassed up by his neighbours - ridiculous! The money could have been far better spent on a new submarine!

How do you know his neighbours grassed him up? The OP said villagers, he might not have been living in that particular village but something caused them to call immigration.

And honestly I very much doubt any Isaan villager knows anything about visas and overstays of farang. My missus doesn't know what TM 30 is and she couldn't care less.

Edited by emptypockets

7 hours ago, lujanit said:

I wonder how many foreigners have been reported by xenophobic thais to Immigration.

It probably depends on whether you are living with a Thai family or not. ... Positively ! (E.G. being of some use to them, one way or another) ... Like Thais are Loyal to their Families (To the Point of Nepotism ???) .... and their ethos is never <Deleted> with another Family !!! ... (Like then that Family will <Deleted> with you !!!! Right ! ? ..... And It sounds like in this case ? he was not living with any one family particularly ? .... Or he probably would NOT have got shopped.

• Like 1