Thailand to recruit 10,000 foreign teachers to boost English standards of Thai kids

rooster59

14 hours ago, Ventenio said:

EXACTLY!!!  You get what you pay for...

AND everyone is sooo mad if you make 30,000, but then you look at the exams and find tons of mistakes.  Once I saw a school spell APPLE wrong on a massive poster.  APPEL.  Who OK'd this before printing?  LOL.   

Once I heard a teacher yell at her kids (she's NOT Thai, not Farang, do the math)....  If I say hi, you say HELLO not Hi.     ???????   

Then they go on their Facebook page and type, "Living in good place I eat food such wonderful."  How can you not laugh at this?  Definitely not an English teacher.  Hey, maybe a GREAT Teacher, but pick another subject.  

A few years ago there was a big do on the evening news.  Lots of stars , from TV as well as Thai pop stars etc.  The lady outfront as the stars were coming along was dressed to the nines , Behind was written  in large highlighted letters  ' Thai arwads of the year '. Me thinks it should of been 'Thai awards of the year '.  No award for English at this do.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, justin case said:

don't forget those thai teachers have jobs for life, whatever they do

borrow money like the sky is the limit

savings at 6 percent for deposits ...

a pension afterwards

sure you want to continue to complain and compare ?

I'm well aware of your point, there's still the point that the regular salary should be at a level comparable with other other professions. 

Another point is that so many teachers take out massive / multiple loans over 30, 40 etc., years, meaning that higher on-going funding throughout their working life is very expensive because of the overall massive amounts of interest paid.

Also in the picture is the other side of the loan scenario where lenders make massive gains through charging interest / exorbitant interest. 

16 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Another roundabout way of getting rid of some westerners !

three years is too short a span. i would think one school generation ( number of years to graduate) will do not job provided the momentum is maintained. 

• Confused 1

The article states he talked to embassies. That would be the way to request those other nations' volunteer services (such as the US Peace Corps) to be involved. I know the Peace Corps is still active in Thailand. Not sure about CUSO (Canada), or the Brits or Aussies. 

The foreign principal at my daughters school that has Cambridge accreditation told me that he won’t display the accreditation because there’s a push to charge a lot more money if it is, and he said he could not justify it. So how are schools going to pay for these teachers? Only way I see it is to raise fees?

Ten years ago I received 250THB for every hour of teaching in a private school. Trying to get a job at other schools was a complete waste of time, as I am NOT a native speaker, and would have been paid less than those teachers from Scotland and Wales with their wonderful pronunciation. It did not count, that I worked in the U.S. for a couple of years, or did professional translations of workshop manuals for VW and Renault, plus a diploma in social education, teaching experiences in Sweden, and so on.

Luckily I am in the position, that I do not have to teach, and with the salaries offered today, I doubt the government will find any professional staff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My eldest daughter in England is a part time stand in teacher , she is going to university as well to become a full time teacher later this year.  I said ( as she like it here ) she could teach here. But with only knowing about 6 words of Thai now could she get by teaching  here without speaking Thai ? So my point is how many English teachers are fluent in Thai ?