800k in bank new requirements from 01.March on?

4 hours ago, Psimbo said:

My advice is visit your LOCAL office and seek clarification from them. They will tell you the regulations as THEY see them at present, which makes for a smoother ride when you apply.

not everybody lives nearby their immigration office... for many it is hours away

4 hours ago, JustAnotherHun said:

So I'll order a one-year statement to be on the safe side. It's just a visit more to my bank.

Could be quite funny if the statement needs a week to be provided and the IO tells you then, it may not be older than two days or so...

A one year bank statement is not the same as the bank letter. The bank letter just states that you have an account with the bank and the balance as of the day of the letter. This is the document that often cannot be more than 2-3 days old. In addition you may have to do a same day bank transaction and update your bank book. It is always better to go over prepared rather than under prepared if the tasks are cheap and easy to do.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Martyp said:

A one year bank statement is not the same as the bank letter. 

You're right, but the 6-month statement you can get on the fly at your local branch along with the letter and the updated bank book.

Needing a 12-month statement to be on the save side takes one more bank visit. No problem.

I'll provide that including two sets of copies of each and everything to them. IO must instantly fall in love with me handing her out a phonebook like huge paperwork.

They might even ask me for a foto shooting for their wallpapers.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:

You're right, but the 6-month statement you can get on the fly at your local branch along with the letter and the updated bank book.

Needing a 12-month statement to be on the save side takes one more bank visit. No problem.

I'll provide that including two sets of copies of each and everything to them. IO must instantly fall in love with me handing her out a phonebook like huge paperwork.

They might even ask me for a foto shooting for their wallpapers.

Good plan. 

Correct if I'm wrong. This requirement for the bank statements has been fired up by a recent application at CM? 

I'm thinking your extension must be coming up hence need to be prepared.

Guess folk doing extension later this year can be better informed.

If your thread turns out to be required at all imm office, it's not left field to think imm offices are trying to drive expats to use agents. 

Yes all this is a pain. I have my money in a fcd account and I have to put money in to update book and it cost me. Min £12 fee. as the money has to be in UK pounds. And I still have go pay the 100 b fee for a bank letter and all this has to be less then 3 days old. So can't even transfer Money not enough time so has to be cash in pounds 

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

There are no new requirements. 

There may be a change in the proof that you maintained the required 400k/800k baht balance for the past year.

Apparently some offices are already requiring a one year bank statement instead along with the bank book. Not everybody updates their bank book regularly.

Don't know if this applies to 800k method, but I had to show an updated - to current day - bankbook - for income method.

1 hour ago, WalkingOrders said:

Don't know if this applies to 800k method, but I had to show an updated - to current day - bankbook - for income method.

Yes, the bank book has to be updated and the balance must match the bank letter if using the money in the bank method.

10 hours ago, Max69xl said:

Yes, the bank book has to be updated and the balance must match the bank letter if using the money in the bank method.

Whether you can update the bank book depends on the particular bank and type of account.  For example only, a fixed term account at Siam Commercial bank (an account that accrues interest for a set period of time although you can access the funds earlier with a loss of accrued interest) cannot be updated regardless if you or the bank sticks the bank book in the update machine.  That type of SCB account is what I've been using for the annual extension (800k method) for almost 10 years here in Chiangmai and never has the bank book been updated (as it can't be) or has an immigration officer questioned it. 

22 hours ago, offset said:

I do not think you can update a fix deposit account because no money transactions are made and if you put the book through the machine it comes back the same as before. I have to make a small withdrawal when I get it updated for my yearly extension

With my fixed account for 800K it can be updated because of the interest and tax deduction each month. In fact in my account there are so many updates that it takes at least two pass books for a year, usually 2.5 actually. The IO usually gets a bit fed up going through it and the copies that they also require.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, CMBob said:

Whether you can update the bank book depends on the particular bank and type of account.  For example only, a fixed term account at Siam Commercial bank (an account that accrues interest for a set period of time although you can access the funds earlier with a loss of accrued interest) cannot be updated regardless if you or the bank sticks the bank book in the update machine.  That type of SCB account is what I've been using for the annual extension (800k method) for almost 10 years here in Chiangmai and never has the bank book been updated (as it can't be) or has an immigration officer questioned it. 

Sure it can.  For one thing the interest payment will show up as an update.  You can also deposit or take out a small amount to get an update.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You can request the 12 months bank statement at any Bangkok Bank branch but it will take about 7 days to get it for a fee of 200 baht.

Are you sure about this statement, my local BKK bank and a nearby BKK branch both said no we don't issue them.

But the good news, one BKK bank branch a few km away from our Muban does issue them.

It's like a treasure hunt, keep looking for one BKK bank branch with the pot of gold.

Seems like most businesses processes in Thailand the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing.

And OMG don't ask them or get into a pissing contest on why they don't issue them.

its a period of your life you will never get back.

2 minutes ago, berrec said:

Are you sure about this statement, my local BKK bank and a nearby BKK branch both said no we don't issue them.

You can request the one year statement at any branch. As you found out their might be some odd branches that will not want to do them or are not aware it can be done.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Max69xl said:

The IO will just think "what's the matter with this guy" and give back every piece of paper he/she doesn't want. If you want to be "The applicant of the week", you provide "EXACTLY" what they want. Not one copy to much or less. 

That is exactly what they do when I provide them excess paperwork to them as a precaution. I have never been scolded for it though. 

19 minutes ago, rwill said:

Sure it can.  For one thing the interest payment will show up as an update.  You can also deposit or take out a small amount to get an update.

Sorry you are wrong on both counts. You cannot break a Fxd Deposit account (by putting in more, or taking out) as this breaks the deposit period and the interest given is then only the savings rate.

Another thing is Fxd Deposits are not rolled over. At the end of one fixed period the money (plus interest if you want) can deposited into a new Fxd Deposit period, with a different account number and new book, plus whatever deposit rate is prevalent at that time.

But yes a Fxd Deposit can be used for immigration, but it is not one continuous rolled over account (as a savings account is). 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Are you confusing income method up with money in bank method.

My understanding is that income requires bank statements where as money in bank will just require bank letter along with photocopies of your bankbook pages from date you obtained last extension. 

I do not believe so. He is asking of something that has yet to be tried and reported on.

People who obtained retirement extensions, based on money in the Thai bank, from March 2019 were told they were required to maintain 800k for 3 further months and 400k for the rest of the year (and then would need to be back up to 800k for the 2 months pre-seasoning).  No checks other than Jomtiem and I think Udon (or Ubon, never know which is which) on people, whether they had actually retained the money was ever made. Consensus was, it would be done, on the next extension renewal, as a requirement. 

If one is renewing a month before it is due as is possible and commonplace, that time is upon us. We all wait with bated breath to see what, if anything, actually is required. 

Edited by jacko45k

If you can access your bank account online, as I can with TMB, you should be able to view a statement online for the required period and then print it. I did a test run this morning in this regard. I can set the time frame for the statement and print it immediately. My only concern was whether it would display name and account # and be on bank letter head. Test run showed no need for concern. One would hope that all banks have this facility where you have online access to your account.

22 hours ago, saengd said:

It depends how your interest is paid, if paid monthly then the book can be updated to show interest received and tax paid.

Aren't most fixed deposit accounts for 3 month or more periods? Even my savings account the interest is only paid bi-annually. 

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

We all wait with bated breath to see what, if anything, actually is required. 

Thanks so much for using the correct adjective, as in abated, rather than baited, making one sound like a fish to be caught. 

Actually though maybe we are simply fish to be caught. ????

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Thanks so much for using the correct adjective, as in abated, rather than baited, making one sound like a fish to be caught. 

Actually though maybe we are simply fish to be caught. ????

I am well hooked and committed. 

• Haha 1

On 2/16/2020 at 9:14 AM, DrJack54 said:

Are you confusing income method up with money in bank method.

My understanding is that income requires bank statements where as money in bank will just require bank letter along with photocopies of your bankbook pages from date you obtained last extension. 

Beside the copy of the last page of the bank book with actual date you need additional a confirmation letter from your bank. Just ask for. You have to pay around 100TBH for this. I hold my money on a fixed deposit account plus the deposit for my credit card. That might confuse the Immi why there is 900k on the bank but only 800k free.

The reason is mentioned in the same confirmation letter, but they have to read the whole text ...

39 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

Sorry you are wrong on both counts. You cannot break a Fxd Deposit account (by putting in more, or taking out) as this breaks the deposit period and the interest given is then only the savings rate.

Another thing is Fxd Deposits are not rolled over. At the end of one fixed period the money (plus interest if you want) can deposited into a new Fxd Deposit period, with a different account number and new book, plus whatever deposit rate is prevalent at that time.

But yes a Fxd Deposit can be used for immigration, but it is not one continuous rolled over account (as a savings account is). 

Strange that I update my BKK and LH Bank fixed deposits occasionally and each roll over at maturity using the same account and book with a current rate for Fixed deposits of the same amount. I have done this for many years now and use them for immigration. 

33 minutes ago, couchpotato said:

As I noted as an example, the fixed term accounts at SCB that I have used for almost 10 years cannot be updated.  And there is no ability to deposit or withdraw (well, you can withdraw any or all anytime you want but you'll lose all accrued interest in the interim) and interest does not show up at all until the fixed term is completed.

I'd have agreed with your "can't be rolled over" comment many years ago as back then they'd issue you a new account number and passbook after the fixed term expired; however, that hasn't been the case for at least the last few years.  Now, I keep the same passbook and account number and what shows up in the passbook is the interest, the 15% tax withheld, and the new balance (with the new time period and interest rate). It appears as a simple roll-over to me.

My comments apply only to Siam Commercial Bank fixed accounts (e.g., it's different at some other banks).