Thai attacked over coronavirus ‘Asian prejudice’ in London

snoop1130

I hope this doesn't lead to a reaction that they want to throw Brits out of Thailand before the bad behavior spills over here.

Imm police are going to have a hard time dragging fat white geezers kicking and screaming from their barstools, fishwives wailing as they follow their meal ticket to the IDC.

Edited by Why Me
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mauGR1 said:

I was almost giving you a "like" for a well written post, then i went back and read the other posts, and i could not find "hatred towards Thais" or "happiness" for such a sad event.

Maybe hatred wasn't the right choice of word. I was referring to those who wrote sarcastic replies and those who gave these relies likes and laughing emojis.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Silawattakun says he shouted out to bystanders but “no one seemed to care or pay attention initially”. Eventually he was helped by two people and got an Uber to hospital. His attackers didn’t bother leaving the scene, so Silawattakun took pictures of them to pass to the police.

Luckily 2 people who were not racist helped him could have been worse.

3 minutes ago, macleans said:

Maybe hatred wasn't the right choice of word. I was referring to those who wrote sarcastic replies and those who gave these relies likes and laughing emojis.

Thanks for the honest reply, there is a lot of difference between hatred and sarcasm.

I also don't like it so much when the victim of a crime becomes object of sarcasm, but i have seen worse on this Forum and in real life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, macleans said:

The amount of hatred towards Thais shown in this thread is shocking. I mean the man just got racially abused, robbed, and had his nose broken, and all I see is a bunch of expats, who live in Thailand for whatever reasons, expressing their happiness that this event happened to a Thai national living abroad.

Some of you may have had bad experiences in Thailand, but they give you no reasons to be satisfied when an innocent man got hurt, just because he is Thai. Seriously, that's overt racism. I doubt any of you have been robbed and assaulted here because you happen to be foreigners.

I have seen a few posters in other threads ask if and why the attitude of Thais towards expats have changed and been less welcoming over time. You lot on here are the cause of that change.

What I don't understand is if you hate Thailand and Thai people so much, why do you stick around? Wouldn't it benefit both you and Thailand if you leave?

It's only shocking if a person completely disregards the reason. You don't find this level of disenchantment in most other Asian countries. Thailand is special. Now ask yourself why.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Domissan said:

I do not think Thais understand how racially offensive they are to Westerners by openly referring to them as Farrang bak see dah etc.

Farang by itself generally isn't an offensive term.

The most commonly accepted theory in Thailand about the origin of the term "farang" suggests that Thais borrowed this term from the Arabs who started trading with the kingdom of Siam hundreds of years ago. The Arabs called the Franks, who were the French ancestors, "Farangi". As the French were the very first group of westerners who Siam contacted centuries back, they used this term to refer to the French. The Siamese extended usage of the term "farang" to refer to other westerners who arrived years later.

The word farang at the time and mostly in today's usage is not a racial slur, just like the word "Orientals" that westerners used to call East Asians. It is shorter and, hence, more convenient to use, especially when they don't know where the person in question comes from -- vs. chow tawon tok (westerners), khon ungkrit (English), khon farang-sed (French), etc. 

The term farang can sometimes have an offensive meaning when a term "tah narm kaow" (literally describes the light color of westerners' eyes) attached to it e.g., farang tah narm kaow.

Edited by macleans
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, macleans said:

And where did you think this disenchantment originate from? Let me give you some examples. At my previous workplace, there was this Welsh guy who acted arrogant, showing himself off and often speaking in such a tone that he was superior to Thais. He also often made fun of Thais in general. The guy was really disliked and was perceived as a self-entitled idiot by the local staff for obvious reasons. When I found Thaivisa I also found many posters on here who show similar attitudes to that guy.

Moreover, the growing number of sexpats who have come to Thailand for bar girls and cheap booze have tainted the image of foreigners in Thailand. When the locals see men who spend all day getting drunk at bar stools, then afterwards walk around with bar girls and grope them and such on the streets, what do you think the locals perceive of these men?

I recently watch a vlog on youtube. In the video, this aussie born asian youtuber was describing how sick he felt when he was on the flight from Melbourne to Bkk because there was an aussie man who was bragging loudly that he couldn't wait to bang Thai women when he got to Thailand. How do you think Thais in that flight would feel about it.

The negative feelings and attitudes towards certain groups of foreigners accumulate over time, and they shape and reshape the image of western foreigners, especially the male group, which, unfortunately, may have led to stereotyping. Oh don't blame general Thais for the existence of pattaya, soi cowboy, etc. They are not the one that developed these places. But let's leave it at that as the topic is about a Thai man getting bashed in London.

I'm not sure if you are new to Thailand or just have stayed long or maybe have not looked beneath the surface.

As to arrogance, it's chicken vs egg. Who is reacting to whom? Was the expat reacting to his experience with Thais? Or were they reacting to theirs with him? I have seen plenty of examples of otherwise nice and polite expats who become so frustrated with Thais that they develop attitudes like what you've mentioned.

As for the quality of foreigners coming here, again, I think you may have cause and effect reversed. The average quality might be low because that's what the Thais attract. Perhaps because their culture facilitates low quality interest. For example, any educated and honest Thai will tell you that Thais, in the main, often break laws and rules especially when they think nobody is watching them. So, why would they expect foreigners to obey their laws...? Why are there no such systemic issues in places like Japan and Taiwan and Korea and Singapore and Malaysia and Indonesia?

As for the bogan on the flight, sure that is distasteful. But I'm not sure what that anecdote is meant to prove.

Edited by Fex Bluse
  • Like 2

Britain definitley has a problem with unprovoked attacks, usually carried out by scrawny little chavs trying to impress their mates. I don't have experience living in other western countries so interested to know if it's the same.

At least if you're going to hit someone, do it because you were provoked or you want their money/possessions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, evadgib said:

As soon as I saw that his 'Embassy had taken him to hospital' I knew that the story had been fabricated as that simply doesn't happen in a place like London & would need to be much more serious to happen elsewhere.

The story as presented has either been embellished or is complete fiction.

You know nothing about the Thai Community in London or the UK for that matter. I have dealt with the Thai community, the Thai Embassy and the Thai Temples in London and the UK for the last 30 years. I have absolutely no doubt that the Thai Embassy was contacted and they took him to hospital. Judging by your previous comments please recognise that there is no place for racism on this forum.

Edited by Estrada

12 hours ago, notasmartassknowitallfarag said:

Absolute chav scumbags did this. I feel for the guy, hopefully they will get caught and no 500 baht fines please. 

I also feel for foreigners here who get beat down 7 on 1, even if it was for being an annoying drunk. We all make mistakes. 

"Annoying drunk" like the elderely British couple and their middle aged son that were severely beaten here by a gang of local yobs.

I suspect that coronavirus may have been at the bottom of this.