Thai attacked over coronavirus ‘Asian prejudice’ in London

snoop1130

21 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

We get it ten times worse in Thailand. Next......................

So White Guys are randomly beaten up in Thailand?  Really, pray tell of one example.  Lots of farangs get a good kicking now and again but they generally earn it - you truly need to go out of your way to get one.  Hammered at 4 in the morning wandering in to Katoeyland might work, legging it from a bar-bill will generally do the job or having a rant at a group of Moto taxi-boys over 50 pence if you want to really live dangerously.  Short-changing a short-time, slapping a slapper, barging into a Thai only disco, or cutting up a big Merc and flipping the finger are other reasonably efficient ways to get yourself in need of medical attention.  Innocently walking down the street being just a bit pale with a big nose, not so.

I tolerated being racially discriminated against in Thailand for many years and just took it on the chin as we all have the choice - stay or go - I chose to go as this was a major factor but never was I subjected to, or witnessed, that kind of abuse which is on a totally different level.   Many complaints about the place and what it has become but sitting around whining about it seems a bit of a wasted life when the options are plentiful.

Two Luk Krung kids, houses, cars, businesses plus the inevitable multiple extended families and numerous contributions to the Nakon Nowhere Buffalo Preservation Society over a 30 year period which contributed millions of baht to the Thai economy yet having to beg to stay every 12 months and turn up every 90 days like some kind of parolee was not a future I fancied.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cranky said:

So White Guys are randomly beaten up in Thailand?  Really, pray tell of one example.  Lots of farangs get a good kicking now and again but they generally earn it - you truly need to go out of your way to get one.  Hammered at 4 in the morning wandering in to Katoeyland might work, legging it from a bar-bill will generally do the job or having a rant at a group of Moto taxi-boys over 50 pence if you want to really live dangerously.  Short-changing a short-time, slapping a slapper, barging into a Thai only disco, or cutting up a big Merc and flipping the finger are other reasonably efficient ways to get yourself in need of medical attention.  Innocently walking down the street being just a bit pale with a big nose, not so.

I tolerated being racially discriminated against in Thailand for many years and just took it on the chin as we all have the choice - stay or go - I chose to go as this was a major factor but never was I subjected to, or witnessed, that kind of abuse which is on a totally different level.   Many complaints about the place and what it has become but sitting around whining about it seems a bit of a wasted life when the options are plentiful.

Two Luk Krung kids, houses, cars, businesses plus the inevitable multiple extended families and numerous contributions to the Nakon Nowhere Buffalo Preservation Society over a 30 year period which contributed millions of baht to the Thai economy yet having to beg to stay every 12 months and turn up every 90 days like some kind of parolee was not a future I fancied.

Your profile still says patters.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

t should be noted that the champions of Brexit are once again gathered to defend a totally inadmissible racist crime.

What a surprise !

It should be noted that the non supporters of Brexit are once again gathered to totally misrepresent what someone has said.

6 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

t should be noted that the champions of Brexit are once again gathered to defend a totally inadmissible racist crime.

What a surprise !

Although its likely that hes defending" Black guys , as they very likely committed the crime.

20 minutes ago, Magenta408 said:

Everyone is attacked in London. Sometimes, or quite often, with knives and other weapons. Why discriminate?

No, London is very safe and random attacks are rare

Much of the street violence is gang related and they dont attack non gang members .

Its very easy to avoid violence in London .

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, connda said:

To appreciate this incident, folks should step back, compare and contrast, and place things in perspective.

First, search for this 'incident' on Google or other search sites.  What did you find?  Not much of anything. 

Second.  Has there been any incidents in the UK where a high-level minister in the UK government has gone off the rails on a rant using both ethnic slurs and expletives to frame "outsiders" or foreigners as being possible virus carriers based on their skin color and then demand that these <expletive> "outsiders" be kicked out of the UK if they refuse to wear surgical masks?  No.  Any government official in their right mind in the UK would never do that.  They would not have a job within 24 hours and they probably would end up in jail charged with hate speech -- unlike in Thailand where an incident just like that did occur. 

Third, in the UK is there a word that is commonly used by virtually all Britons to describe people of Asian origin?  Yes, there are words like that in the English language, but they are not commonly used outside of groups of people who actually do harbor feeling of racism.  These words are considered to be racial slurs by the majority of UK society and totally inappropriate for use in public.

So we have a media outlet for a country where a minister has gone off the rails in a racist diatribe and a country where ethnically charged terms to describe "outsiders" is acceptable and and the words embedded in the commonly used lexicon of virtually all citizens of the country - and it these people who now frame this one-off incident of ugly racism in the UK as being indicative of UK culture to the point that all Thais and Asians travelling to the UK need to be issued a "warning Thais and other Asians to be aware of such a situation in Britain" where a single incident of racism stupidity just happened. 

Compare.  Contrast.  Align your perspective accordingly.

So to paraphrase I think you are implying that this is fabricated incident by the Thai Embassy in London maybe hijacking the coronavirus media storm to slur farangs ?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, connda said:

To appreciate this incident, folks should step back, compare and contrast, and place things in perspective.

First, search for this 'incident' on Google or other search sites.  What did you find?  Not much of anything. 

Second.  Has there been any incidents in the UK where a high-level minister in the UK government has gone off the rails on a rant using both ethnic slurs and expletives to frame "outsiders" or foreigners as being possible virus carriers based on their skin color and then demand that these <expletive> "outsiders" be kicked out of the UK if they refuse to wear surgical masks?  No.  Any government official in their right mind in the UK would never do that.  They would not have a job within 24 hours and they probably would end up in jail charged with hate speech -- unlike in Thailand where an incident just like that did occur. 

Third, in the UK is there a word that is commonly used by virtually all Britons to describe people of Asian origin?  Yes, there are words like that in the English language, but they are not commonly used outside of groups of people who actually do harbor feeling of racism.  These words are considered to be racial slurs by the majority of UK society and totally inappropriate for use in public.

So we have a media outlet for a country where a minister has gone off the rails in a racist diatribe and a country where ethnically charged terms to describe "outsiders" is acceptable and and the words embedded in the commonly used lexicon of virtually all citizens of the country - and it these people who now frame this one-off incident of ugly racism in the UK as being indicative of UK culture to the point that all Thais and Asians travelling to the UK need to be issued a "warning Thais and other Asians to be aware of such a situation in Britain" where a single incident of racism stupidity just happened. 

Hit the nail on the head. I've not heard one peep about this in the UK. I remember the hysteria caused by Jeremy when he said a rickety old wooden bridge had a "Slant". An I cident like this that was supposed to have happened would be all over the media... 

7 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

So to paraphrase I think you are implying that this is fabricated incident by the Thai Embassy in London maybe hijacking the coronavirus media storm to slur farangs ?

No.  I don't believe that "this is fabricated by the Thai Embassy in London."  I neither said that nor implied it. 
I suggested comparing and contrasting.  How someone can arrive at your conclusion must involve many interesting twists and turns of logic. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scot123 said:

Hit the nail on the head. I've not heard one peep about this in the UK. I remember the hysteria caused by Jeremy when he said a rickety old wooden bridge had a "Slant". An I cident like this that was supposed to have happened would be all over the media... 

Imagine if a Thai cabinet minister had a farang wife , ain't going to happen ever !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremy_Hunt

Jeremy Hunt with wife

Edited by URMySunshine

1 minute ago, connda said:

No.  I don't believe that "this is fabricated by the Thai Embassy in London."  I neither said that nor implied it. 
I suggested comparing and contrasting.  How someone can arrive at your conclusion must involve many interesting twists and turns of logic. 

Fair enough that was my 'hot read' of your post !

16 hours ago, macleans said:

The amount of hatred towards Thais shown in this thread is shocking. I mean the man just got racially abused, robbed, and had his nose broken, and all I see is a bunch of expats, who live in Thailand for whatever reasons, expressing their happiness that this event happened to a Thai national living abroad.

Some of you may have had bad experiences in Thailand, but they give you no reasons to be satisfied when an innocent man got hurt, just because he is Thai. Seriously, that's overt racism. I doubt any of you have been robbed and assaulted here because you happen to be foreigners.

I have seen a few posters in other threads ask if and why the attitude of Thais towards expats have changed and been less welcoming over time. You lot on here are the cause of that change.

What I don't understand is if you hate Thailand and Thai people so much, why do you stick around? Wouldn't it benefit both you and Thailand if you leave?

Well said!

To those that shrug their shoulders at this.  Just because the situation for foreigners currently living in Thailand is far from ideal why should that make it more acceptable for unpleasant things to happen to Thais living abroad?

This happened, it was not concocted by the Thai man, he has a broken nose and reported the assault to the police.  Hopefully there will be arrests soon.  This attack was a mixture of low life's seeing a weak target, theft and racism all rolled into one.

While writing let me say this though.  I am married to a Thai and we live in London.  Last week she was racially abused getting on a bus by an old man shouting virus at her …. because she looked Asian.  Fortunately that is all she faced and no violence was involved.  Through my wife I know of two more similar incidents to hers where her Thai friends have been racially abused and now this.   

Please people try to be kind.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Cranky said:

Well, honestly, if you haven't seen TV reports about gangs of brave Thai youths attacking foreigners then you must have been walking around with your eyes closed - either that or you needed to take off the rose-coloured glasses. Left already? probably for the best - walking away is sometimes the best option.

Edited by ParkerN
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, ParkerN said:

Well, honestly, if you haven't seen TV reports about gangs of brave Thai youths attacking foreigners then you must have been walking around with your eyes closed - either that or you needed to take off the rose-coloured glasses. Left already? probably for the best - walking away is sometimes the best option.

That is not the issue here - a Thai man appears have been attacked for being Asian in London. and for that we should offer our sympathy and revulsion at an act of inhumanity rather than indulge in a festival of whataboutery and relativism which seems to be the kee jerk of some here. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Crispyman said:

seems to me you have prejudice against Thais yourself the tone of your writing, somewhat a contradictory. Quote “Who behaves badly on the assumption that they are better than..... etc” the rest of you white folks don’t have the same assumption? black salves, Stole half the world Treasure from other nations, Brexit. Oh don’t we get Donald trump. USA have a racist as their president????. I hope you are not living in Thailand. If you do, I suggest you fly back to where ever you are came from. 

Why would they ? A Chang fueled bully pulpit behind a coward's keyboard is a great place to grandstand on a fellow man's misery. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, connda said:

So we have a media outlet for a country where a minister has gone off the rails in a racist diatribe and a country where ethnically charged terms to describe "outsiders" is acceptable and the words embedded in the commonly used lexicon of virtually all citizens of the country - and it these people who now frame this one-off incident of ugly racism in the UK as being indicative of UK culture to the point that all Thais and Asians travelling to the UK need to be issued a "warning Thais and other Asians to be aware of such a situation in Britain" where a single incident of racism stupidity just happened. 

Why should anyone compare a fully developed first world country with an emerging third world country, just to surprise themselves that they might actually be quite different! And if you weren't expecting that difference why did you come here in the first place.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, saengd said:

Why should anyone compare a fully developed first world country with an emerging third world country, just to surprise themselves that they might actually be quite different! And if you weren't expecting that difference why did you come here in the first place.

Because It was cheap but is no longer. Oh and the women...(young men if you're gay) !

4 minutes ago, URMySunshine said:

Because It was cheap but is no longer. Oh and the women...(young men if you're gay) !

And it's still cheap, for Thai people, it's hardly a Thai problem that farang currencies have tanked and theirs has strengthened.

3 minutes ago, saengd said:

And it's still cheap, for Thai people, it's hardly a Thai problem that farang currencies have tanked and theirs has strengthened.

When you debauch your currency by printing money and lowering interest rates then we arrive at where we are at. That and the iron fist of military rule....but off topic !

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 hours ago, Kennycrossfit said:

Never had any problems when I have been to London, I still go there. 

Have you spent much time around the West End after night club closing? I'm talking fairly safe places in recent years such as Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Charing Cross Rd and Soho. The chances of you meeting some drug addict, or two, in any of those central areas, in the early hours, on your own, are quite high these days - pardon the pun. There were several cases of muggings, when I worked there. And I saw some of these drop outs and felt nervous. Nobody around. No police. There was a fatal stabbing four years ago, mid-morning on St. Martin's Place, between two homeless addicts. I doubt things have changed much in four years. There are a lot of people hanging around there and living on the edge of life. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Arthur Mullard said:

Have you spent much time around the West End after night club closing? I'm talking fairly safe places in recent years such as Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Charing Cross Rd and Soho. The chances of you meeting some drug addict, or two, in any of those central areas, in the early hours, on your own, are quite high these days - pardon the pun. There were several cases of muggings, when I worked there. And I saw some of these drop outs and felt nervous. Nobody around. No police. There was a fatal stabbing four years ago, mid-morning on St. Martin's Place, between two homeless addicts. I doubt things have changed much in four years. There are a lot of people hanging around there and living on the edge of life. 

I have and the West End certainly has its problems with the homeless and junkies. But it by no stretch of the imagination some lawless type Bronx ghetto that Trump and his cohorts would like us to believe. You need to go to the lawless Bronx ghetto for that. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, URMySunshine said:

I've lived there for over 30 years as has my brother and neither of us has been a victim of violent or indeed any other crime. 

Let me guess, taxis always use their meters, you’ve never been double charged, you’ve never witnessed any wrong doing by the police, you think the roads are safe, and everyone in your village respects you and calls you Khun.

• Sad 1