TM28: Thai immigration scraps requirement for foreigners to report when they stay away from home for 24 hours

Jonathan Fairfield

Good news, looks as though immigration's trying........maybe try bringing back unlimited tourist visas for westerners, that would be a great help, also bring in a bit of well needed tea money..... Afterall, 1900 bht for two months, them another 1900 bht for the month extension.......  Double bubble, high fives all round.... 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chicken George said:

So.. No more reporting TM30. Which our local IO insisted I do even for one night away from my permanent address? 

TM30 often gets confused with TM28, with TM30 sometimes used as a kind of catch-all term to describe both but they are actually two separate requirements - and TM30 is still required.).

Seems like nothing much has changed

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Actually it isnt clear.. It says the TM28 is no longer needed.. 

What it doesnt say is the TM30 is no longer needed, and as the fines for landlords not reporting are so often passed onto the occupier.. I am not sure this changes anything legally. 

Once again.. Thailand manages to make it totally unclear. 

TM30 often gets confused with TM28, with TM30 sometimes used as a kind of catch-all term to describe both but they are actually two separate requirements - and TM30 is still required.).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Isaanlawyers said:

It all started with a group of expats in Isaan and a petition. We setup a website, promoted on youtube. Translated in Thai. And it was in Bangkok Post after 3 days. Thanks to Richard Barrow to have help the story and also The Thaiger.

To the douters, I tell them:

www.youtube.com/embed/jG7dSXcfVqE

Which apparently has had no effect at all on the official TM30 requirements.

• Like 2

but who gets the fine if the is not an up to date tm30 ?  as i it seems to me there has to be a TM30 slip in passport .and the tm30 still states if you stay in a hotel etc you have to renew it ... is this correct . so the same dame form as i can see ... as i know the landlaord should do it ,but they wont will they//// everytime you move around ,,,,

• Confused 1

15 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

In 10 years of traveling in, out, and around the country I've never even heard of a TM28, let alone gone to immigration to get one, sign one, eat one, or whatever people were supposed to do with them. 

I only once filled in a TM28 0nce. I took in in to Immigration and they scrapped it and made me fill in a TM30 which should be for the property owner (I am a renter) Seems Immigration are as confused as the rest of us.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

So don’t ever recall doing a TM28 ever, and way back last year when I went to Jomtien immigration to catch up on my TM30s ( I’d missed half a dozen from overseas and out of province trips) the IO happily gave me a new TM30 slip. When I asked about trips out of province she said just file a new one after an overseas trip. I guess I’ll find out what the actual requirement is For TM30s next time I return from overseas.

Still it’s a step forward I guess.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

This talks about TM28s which to my understanding were never enforced. 

Do the same exemptions apply to TM30s and 'landlord reporting' whose fines were in general passed on or collected from the occupier when ever  having any dealings with immigration. 

Thats kind of a crucial distinction. 

It appears that it says TM30 is still in place. TM30 is a different item altogether to TM30 and still

in place. Correct Rooster?

5 minutes ago, garzhe said:

I only once filled in a TM28 0nce. I took in in to Immigration and they scrapped it and made me fill in a TM30 which should be for the property owner (I am a renter) Seems Immigration are as confused as the rest of us.

Actually your immigration office was correct, a TM28 has to be done at a regular police station (with the latest change hardly anybody has to do a TM28)

A few immigration offices just didn't understand the law and asked people for a TM28. Afaik they didn't fine people for not having done a TM28, even if they wrongfully thought it was their job.

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:

However, foreigners need to be aware that they are still required to inform immigration if they change address permanently. [This is covered in form TM27].

I relocated within Jomtien jurisdiction in Jan and obtained a new TM30 as required. How are they going to know if you submitted a TM27 or not? Since I moved, I've renewed my extension and obtained a cert of residency last week with nothing said Abt be any TM27.

14 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Serious ? Cause this is what my Trips to the IO have been about.

The TM30 I believe was introduced to stop unlicensed hotels/Guest Houses etc and relieve the faring of a few baht.

What info does Immigration actually input from your Arrival Card, certainly not where you are staying, imagine how long it would take to decipher and input the address. The barcode doesn’t mean nought as if you lose it you just complete another one which has a different barcode.

The UK has now abolished Landing Cards as they served no purpose, I can only think of one other place where I completed an Arrival Card, The USA. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jumbo1968 said:
14 hours ago, LomSak27 said:

Serious ? Cause this is what my Trips to the IO have been about.

The TM30 I believe was introduced to stop unlicensed hotels/Guest Houses etc and relieve the faring of a few baht.

What info does Immigration actually input from your Arrival Card, certainly not where you are staying, imagine how long it would take to decipher and input the address. The barcode doesn’t mean nought as if you lose it you just complete another one which has a different barcode.

The UK has now abolished Landing Cards as they served no purpose, I can only think of one other place where I completed an Arrival Card, The USA. 

You took all that time, To NOT answer the question I was asking? Hope it's good for you, have no clue what you're on about.

13 hours ago, jackdd said:

If the landlord is living in Timbuktu this probably means that you are renting the place. This makes you the possessor and in your function as possessor of the property you have to inform immigration police about foreigners staying there, using form TM30. So you report yourself with a TM30, that's what you have to do according to the law, and then you have the receipt.

My owner lives in ‘Timbuktu’, I do a Tm28 and have been doing at Jomtien for over 2 years. They stamp the bottom receipt tear if of and throw the rest of the paperwork in a big pile behind the desk.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Jonathan Fairfield said:
16 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

The article is clear about the IO requirements as of late January .... No you do not.

Just to make it clear: TM30 still on, TM28 is off..  is there a TM29 by the way ? It’s still a long way to TM..90 ????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, holy cow cm said:

Yeah, but what if you travel out of country?

I assume that as long as you return to the same address there is no need . My wife returns to the U.K. twice a year and when she returns she has never ever filled in a TM30 as we have lived in the same house for years the only difference is that her 90 day reporting is not the same as mine and with the new online reporting I don’t see that as a problem we are also lucky that we have a local IO no need to travel far which is a godsend when your doing your yearly extension of stay