British football coach, 32, fights for life in Thai hospital against severe lung infection

webfact

11 hours ago, sweatalot said:

Surprised they did not mention that it is not CoVid 19

But we all know this virus is under control in LOS

There are no other infections with that virus than those officially claimed

Mention it? I thought the whole post inferred it. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Encore said:

I managed to get to a hospital at Prasat within a few days of having breathing difficulty and feeling really unwell.  Doctors confirmed that my lungs were filling up with a liquid, gaseous or fibrous substance but could not diagnose the infection.  I was in unimaginable pain and put on IV morphine for 1 week as well as a cocktail of IV antibiotics.  I was then transferred to a Hua Hin hospital where IV antibiotic treatment continued for 8 weeks.  Outpatient treatment then consisted of taking a plethora of daily oral drugs for the following 6 months with monthly blood, sputum and x-ray (as well as 1 MRI scan) tests.  I was advised that my overall health and fitness with early hospitalisation helped with my eventual recovery but I have lost some lung capacity and previous fitness.

It was eventually determined that the lung infection was probably Melioidosis which had been initially diagnosed as pneumonia and a strain of TB.  Apparently, I was very fortunate to have survived because of the high mortality rate of Melioidosis.     

IMG_E0291.JPG

That is rough.  Indeed lucky, the fatality rate on whitmores is massive.  Did they not test for B. pseudomallei?  Should have been one of the first things they did.

13 hours ago, Phuket Stan said:

Being in Intensive Care and then put into Induced Coma would certainly cost 2 thousand pound a day if it is an international hospital

I suspect quite a few breathing aids and I recall a friend telling me how much that added to an expensive daily ICU cost,  as he suffered a lung infection.. 

13 hours ago, Airalee said:

Chiang Mai Ram Hospital room rates including services.  Cannot see how a hospital in Pattaya can be so much more expensive.

฿6000 + doctors fees vs ฿80,000

Questionable reporting.

F9E28934-DC86-4919-8C7C-7577F77F1B21.png

you note price for room and hospital service

not include doctors, medication, lab checks, x-rays and the like, supplies and equipment, food and so on

16 minutes ago, griffon2011 said:

I was forced to remove my Thai GF from the private hospital mentioned here in another post when I realized that they were ordering needless tests and procedures and massively overcharging on drugs. An example 49,428 baht for 1g Meronem that you can buy online for 2000 baht. Physical therapy ordered for someone whose weight dropped from a steroid induced 54 kilos to 37 kilos who was wearing adult diapers and I had to carry to the bathroom for a shower or to use the toilet.  Daily visits by 6 or 7 doctors towing their nurses along for the extra revenue (called drive-bys in the US). Finally on the 4th day the infectious disease doctor and nurse came in the room wearing masks and gloves which they never wore before and indicated to me that perhaps I should wear a mask but never said why. The bill for this was over 500,000 baht for 4 days in a private room. 

She was later diagnosed with pulmonary TB at a government hospital and placed in a huge open air room covering the entire floor of the hospital with probably 80-100 other patients and family caregivers. Apparently both hospitals missed the fact that she also had TB in her spine.  Thai doctors do not like to be questioned or challenged and it was very difficult to get information out of some of them.  "You don't need to know that" was a common reply to which I replied "Yes I do because I am paying the $#@&& bill. All in all a very negative experience.  

I had a run in with a Quack where he said to me "You listen to me" No you listen to me Im paying the fuking bill here Ill aks whatever questions I want to ask

Edited by ChipButty

1 hour ago, chakatee said:

you note price for room and hospital service

not include doctors, medication, lab checks, x-rays and the like, supplies and equipment, food and so on

I know...but I’ve had multiple procedures/surgeries here in Thailand and it doesn’t come close to the extra 74,000 baht per day that is quoted.  Just sounds kind of high.

A Thai friend of mine in Pattaya developed a sudden high fever on the night between Monday and Tuesday. Today she went to a clinic to get an injection. She said she didn’t go to a hospital because they are full and have to wait for a whole day maybe. The clinic doesn’t test for Coronavirus, only gives an injection (I guess some kind of general cocktail towards flu). 

Maybe there is something brewing here, who knows...

I wish the English guy pulls through.

Terrible, he came to Thailand, 12-years-ago to teach children how to play football in underprivileged schools, becomes ill, and the Thais charge him £2,000 a day in the hospital.

Do any of the Thai families whose sons he taught to play football cough up anything. Do the underprivileged schools help with any money?

I would wager they are being funded partly from the West.

The truth is that Thais are totally selfish. You might get an odd beer free off them, or a tea, but it is just marketing to encourage you to come again.

Did the Brits that saved the football boys trapped in the cave pay their own expenses?

I would not be surprised if they did . . .

Edited by CuriousKen
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Just Weird said:
On 2/24/2020 at 3:24 PM, sweatalot said:

Why should they do that when they had already specifically stated that it is pneumonia?

which 'can' be a Secondary effect from that virus

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 11:42 AM, canuckamuck said:

Certainly the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title. Great journalism.

Nothing much wrong with the journalism from the UK...

"Mark Mckeown, from Hemlington, has been placed into an induced coma after suffering with severe pneumonia".

3 minutes ago, tifino said:
6 minutes ago, Just Weird said:
On 2/24/2020 at 11:24 AM, sweatalot said:

Why should they do that when they had already specifically stated that it is pneumonia?

which 'can' be a Secondary effect from that virus

Perhaps he was checked and that's how they know that it's 'just' pneumonia".

• Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, AlexRich said:

Certainly the next time I feel cold like symptoms I’m taking it very seriously from the get go ... plenty of water, sleep, no physical activity and healthy food.

So "seriously" that all you'll be doing, actively, is keeping fed and watered?  You won't be treating it seriously enough to get checked out?!  Wow, that is taking it seriously.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:17 PM, BuyBitcoin said:
On 2/24/2020 at 3:15 PM, OJAS said:

The article appeared in a local newspaper for the area from where the poor individual originally hailed, and was in all probability written by a trainee journalist who is still a little wet around the ears!

Or scared to mention Corona for fear prayut comes after him.

How exactly can Prayut go after a UK journalist or newspaper?

Edited by Just Weird

On 2/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, SkyFax said:

From the OP: "The former Coulby Newham Secondary School student's family are at his bedside including sister Jodie, two brothers Lee and Shaun, as well as his mum and dad."

So if he's got the CoVid-19, his whole family is likely going to get it as well.

He hasn't, he's got pneumonia!