Savannakhet NON O Visa, multiple entry, based on marriage to a Thai national, application on Wednesday, February 19, 2020 - Report

On 2/28/2020 at 11:04 AM, Russell17au said:

When I got my visa in Savannakhet in November I was not asked for this document but since then I have heard about many people being asked for it. I can understand why they are asking. If you look at the marriage certificate the woman's name is her maiden name and not her married name so they want the document where she has changed her name. When we were married at the Amphur office the documents that were handed to us were the marriage certificate, the Kor Ror 2 and my wife's name change certificate which was used to change her ID card and her House Book Registration. 

Gosford fancy that,I lived there for 20 years.I'm doing my yearly (17 month now that I found out about the 60 day extensions thanks Ubon Joe) this month and have always been required to present the name change cert. as my wife did a first name change for the good luck scam,but she always travels with me to keep an eye on me and have a nice little holiday from the farm.I always get nervous at Suvannakhet for some reason.   

On 2/27/2020 at 2:42 PM, NanLaew said:

@ubonjoe could you please detail the official Thai numeration for the two documents that the OP references as 'white one with flowery border' and 'the brown one'? Just for clarity going forward here.

Thanks!

NL

Image result for marriage certificate thailandimage.jpeg.1e158a575ec8549832ba3b3f933dbcf3.jpeg

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only the one on the left is a marriage certificate. The one on the right is a divorce certificate.

I have never been divorced but if you know better!  These were the certificates required to obtain my visa. That's all I am saying and have been saying all along.  Your experience might be different but as I my original posting outlined this was mine.  My wife has been divorced.

In all previous applications going back many years I never before had to produce either originals of both documents nor copies.  Only the white one with pink flower border was sufficient.  Make of it as wish Mr know it all!

• Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Coastman63 said:

My wife has been divorced.

It would be needed at some immigration offices to apply for an extension.

I have never heard of it being asked for to apply for a visa application.

25 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Hence why I am offering this information.  There are lots of possible repercussions.  Do you need to take your wife with you? I suspect not, just ensure all relevant documents are signed by her. If her ID has not been changed to your surname does that make a different? I do not know but suspect it does. Perhaps you could monitor other members experiences at Savvanakhet and see if my experience is unique or is now the norm?

Following this topic with interest. On checking our marriage certificates my wife's maiden name is on both certificates.

She changed to my surname when she applied for the new ID card at the local Amphur.

I am looking through stacks of docs now to see if some form of certificate was issued.

Ubon Joe is correct, that is a divorce certificate. I do not have one of those,    yet.

22 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Both certificates were issued when I got married that is why I refer to them as marriage certificates.  Why would you receive a divorce certificate when getting married?  Its being a bit presumptuous to say the least! What It maybe is just a confirmation that wife once known as, is now wife with my surname.  I am sure you will be able to explain.

However the fact remains that I did not need to provide a copy of both documents before.  It was evident to me that I was not the only one caught out by this requirement.

12 hours ago, Coastman63 said:

Both certificates were issued when I got married that is why I refer to them as marriage certificates.  Why would you receive a divorce certificate when getting married?  Its being a bit presumptuous to say the least! What It maybe is just a confirmation that wife once known as, is now wife with my surname.  I am sure you will be able to explain.

However the fact remains that I did not need to provide a copy of both documents before.  It was evident to me that I was not the only one caught out by this requirement.

You would not get a divorce certificate issued on the same day you registered your marriage.

I think the other one you have been providing may be a name change certificate not a divorce certificate. Have your wife confirm what it is. Example of one is here. Name change certificate.pdf

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

You would not get a divorce certificate issued on the same day you registered your marriage.

I think the other one you have been providing may be a name change certificate not a divorce certificate. Have your wife confirm what it is. Example of one is here. Name change certificate.pdf

Yep that's the one.  When I googled Thai marriage certificates the ones that came up included the one's I posted.  I see the "divorce" one is very similar in appearance to the "change name" one.  Apologies for the confusion.

The name change cert for us (and I can't see how it would be unless you get married at same amphoe as your wife is registered and it's done as an all in one)

Name change has to be done at the amphoe your spouse is registered in

Once she did that she got the name change certificate and new ID card and name in Blue book changed from there. 

1 hour ago, fourpack said:

The name change cert for us (and I can't see how it would be unless you get married at same amphoe as your wife is registered and it's done as an all in one)

Name change has to be done at the amphoe your spouse is registered in

Once she did that she got the name change certificate and new ID card and name in Blue book changed from there. 

The certificates I received were the ones given to me by going through the bureaucratic procedure required when I lived in Chiang Mai to get married to my Thai wife.  There were 3 in total, 2 copies of the marriage certificates, one for me & one for my wife, ie the white one with red flower border and just one copy of what has now been identified as a "change of name certificate".

What I do not know is if it is mandatory for your wife to change her surname to yours?  I guess not because my sister-in-law still uses her family/maiden name even though she is supposedly married.  By the way to a Thai not a Farang.

10 minutes ago, Coastman63 said:

What I do not know is if it is mandatory for your wife to change her surname to yours? 

It has not been mandatory since 2002 when they changed it to comply with the constitution of 1997.

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

It has not been mandatory since 2002 when they changed it to comply with the constitution of 1997.

OK fine.  Thanks for the historical academic take.  So how does this play out now when applying for a non o visa based on marriage to a Thai citizen submitted to the Thai consulate in Savannakhet?

19 minutes ago, Coastman63 said:

OK fine.  Thanks for the historical academic take.  So how does this play out now when applying for a non o visa based on marriage to a Thai citizen submitted to the Thai consulate in Savannakhet?

The name change certificate should not be needed. When a Thai changes their name their ID number is not changed.

Their ID number is shown on the back of the marriage certificate, ID card and house book registry.

My wife had to change her name and did not a get a certificate. Never been asked for one when applying for a non-o visas and extensions of stay.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Their ID number is shown on the back of the marriage certificate,

There is nothing on the back of our marriage certificates, and they are blue in colour. From about 30 years ago. Also wife said no name change certificate needed, straight after marrying she changed her name to mine. Was compulsory then.

10 hours ago, BlueScouse said:

There is nothing on the back of our marriage certificates, and they are blue in colour. From about 30 years ago. Also wife said no name change certificate needed, straight after marrying she changed her name to mine. Was compulsory then.

It might not be on that old of one but it is on ours that is is about 18 and half years old.

First line is for husbands ID number but blank on mine since it would be my passport number. The 2nd line has my wife,s ID number on it.

image.png.e644bd42fa90e70b1032fa9948f4257e.png

If you have a Kor Ror 2 marriage registry has you wife's ID number as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, farmerjo said:

Would this be acceptable having her maiden name.

That appears to be the last page of a Kor Ror 2.

My assistant says there is nothing mentioned on it about a name change.

If she did not change her name to yours a name change certificate would not be needed.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

That appears to be the last page of a Kor Ror 2.

My assistant says their nothin mention on it about a name change.

If she did not change her name to yours a name change certificate would not be needed.

Just went to local Amphur for kor ror 2 update and change of name certificate for wife.

To clarify i was told all i needed was an updated kor ror 2.

The change of name certificate was not introduced till 2551 so not available if married before that year.

This was Phuphaman,Khon Kaen.

59 minutes ago, farmerjo said:

Just went to local Amphur for kor ror 2 update and change of name certificate for wife.

To clarify i was told all i needed was an updated kor ror 2.

The change of name certificate was not introduced till 2551 so not available if married before that year.

I know they were not issued in 2544 when we registered our marriage and it was mandatory to do the name change.

A Kor Ror 2 should help.

It might help if somebody could something from Amphoe that the name changes were not issued that far back.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

I know they were not issued in 2544 when we registered our marriage and it was mandatory to do the name change.

A Kor Ror 2 should help.

It might help if somebody could something from Amphoe that the name changes were not issued that far back.

I asked for a written letter with Amphur stamp stating that it was not available for people married before 2551 but she said get them to call us if problem TIT.

They did try for 30 minutes to bring up the change of name certificate and punch the info in but it would not accept it.

So i'm happy with the updated kr2.

5 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Joe, you've incorporated! I wondered how you had enough time in the day to answer all these questions.....

That would be my 15 year old granddaughter in this case to help me with Thai. It could also of been my 17 year old daughter.

• Like 2

Just got back from my local amphur with my wife. Attached is a copy of the "updated" Kor Ror 2, side 1 and side 2.  We were informed that the name change document did not come into being until 2551 and we were married in 2547, so no such document exists.

And when I go to Savannakhet in April, I will take the Kor Ror 2 with me, but I have no intention to show or give them the Kor Ror 2, unless specifically asked.

Edited by ubonjoe
removed unredacted Kor Ror 2 images
  • Thanks 1