Thais rank 2nd for time spent on mobile phones, 5th for overall Internet usage

webfact

Thais rank 2nd for time spent on mobile phones, 5th for overall Internet usage

By The Nation

800_f23558e5d384caf.jpg?v=1582533830

Thais ranked second globally for time spent on their mobile phones and fifth for the amount of time spent on the Internet, according to a report by “socially led creative agency” We Are Social. Filipinos were ranked number one for overall Web usage.

According to the agency, 75 per cent of Thailand’s over 60-million population use the Internet – higher than the global average of 59 per cent – while the rate of mobile phone use is as high as 134 per cent. These figures do not include those used with IoT (Internet of Things) devices, in which 97 per cent of the population, or 50.18 million people, use the Internet for 4 hours 57 minutes per day.

When taking into account Internet usage across all devices, Thais averaged 9 hours per day compared to the world average of 6 hours 43 minutes. At number one, Filipinos averaged 9 hours 45 minutes per day, followed by South Africans, Brazilians and Colombians. 

Thailand saw the world’s second-highest daily Internet surfing rate via mobile phones, while most developed countries had a usage rate lower than the world average. For instance, people in Japan used the Internet on average for 4 hours 22 minutes per day, with mobile phone use averaging only 1 hour 32 minutes.

The report found that Thais spend an average of 2 hours 55 minutes per day on social media; 99 per cent of users also watched online videos. The most popular websites are Google, Facebook and YouTube. 

The Thai websites with the most visitors are Pantip and Sanook. The majority of searches were for sports, entertainment and gambling such as “football”, “movies”, “lottery”, “football results”, “check lottery”, etc.

Thais use Facebook the most – 95 per cent of all Internet users – followed by YouTube (94 per cent), LINE (85 per cent), Instagram (65 per cent) and Twitter (55 per cent).

As for e-commerce, 90 per cent of Web users in Thailand have searched for products and services on the Internet. As much as 82 per cent, or about 34.8 million, have bought products online – 69 per cent via mobile phone, with online purchases amounting to $4.31 billion (Bt135.7 billion), including electronic items ($1.5 billion) and fashion and beauty products ($1.03 billion).

Most consumers paid with credit cards (32 per cent), followed by e-wallet (25 per cent), and cash (12 per cent). 

Up to 33 per cent used vehicle services via ride-hailing applications, with a market value of $682 million.

As much as 94 per cent of Thais own phones and smartphones, 50 per cent have PCs, 33 per cent tablets, 15 per cent smartwatches or smart wristbands, and 3.7 per cent smart home devices. Thailand has 400,000 smart homes with equipment worth $110 million, smart appliances worth $41 million, security systems valued at $25 million and $19 million of entertainment devices.

The report says that after taking into account all data, it can be concluded that Thailand has advanced to become a digital-based society. 

Still, with easy access to digital devices and faster Internet speeds, the data reflects concerns that Thais are spending way too much time on the Internet and their mobile phones.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30382735

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2020-02-24
  • Haha 1

They are usually too busy being bored and unproductive wasting time watching music videos or talking mindless chit chat to so called sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles who infact are simply people they know, not actual family members, especially whist at work or when riding motorbikes. Thai are so predictable, lazy, time wasters,

Edited by Sonhia
Amendment
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, JustAnotherHun said:
15 hours ago, fruitman said:

Even when a Thai goes running/cycling they still need a cellphone in the hand...????

That means Thais are not different to other nationals.

I have never seen Europeans running with a cellphone in their hand. They would carry it in a bag on their back/waist or so.

Well, I wish more had laptops.  It's hard to be productive on your iphone; HOWEVER, you can still learn about the world and maybe stumble across something that ignites a passion.  If a phone can introduce kids to something that leads to a passion, it's fine.  Hopeful, yes.  

We all "waste" 90% of our existence, but if you are athletic, educated, analytical, have money, and manageable stress....keep doing what you are doing.  IF you are a fat loser with zero marketable skills....put the phone down.  

passion first, phone second.  

• Thanks 1

That can't be true!

Didn't Pinocchio say that Thais don't know how to Google?

I've got students who continuously look at their phones. 

They couldn't live without it but not being able to have a conversation.

It's frightening to see whole families eating out, and all of them are staring at their screens, updating their Farcebook pages, etc.

Edited by Isaanbiker

As an admitted conspiracy theorist (for the most part), I think this entire social media thing was planned. It was the grand idea to market this entire new facet of living as bringing the world together when in fact it has compartmentalized us and driven humanity into self-contained and self-absorbed cubicles. 

The art of conversation is dead. The huge majority of young people today think a chat room is the equivalent of sitting at a table and having a conversation. 

I hate it. It saddens me and makes me wonder of the fate of humanity when my wife and I go out for dinner and the 6 people at the table beside us stare at their 6 phones all night long.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, webfact said:

Thais ranked second globally for time spent on their mobile phones and fifth for the amount of time spent on the Internet, according to a report by “socially led creative agency” We Are Social.

Is there an international ranking for non-productive time-wasting mobile phone use?  I'm pretty sure Thailand would rank quite high on that scale as well.

42 minutes ago, mok199 said:

Thais always seem to have enough time to eat 8 meals and sleep 14 hours...

And Thai males never go to work either Thats what Thai males have wives for They are there to have kids and work Thai males are not silly you know

• Haha 2

I'm no Einstein, but to me math is truly mind-boggling. . .

8 (hours sleeping) + 8 (hours working) + 9 (using mobile) = 25 hours. 

With, last time I looked, a day consisting of 24 hours, one can only wonder what these morons do with their spare time?

"One thing's for sure after reading this survey: if I decide one day to replace my smartphone-addicted Thai partner, it definitely won't be with a Filipino girl!

Edited by Krataiboy

On 2/25/2020 at 8:38 AM, mickey rat said:

Welcome to LOS (land of selfie) ???? Number 2 in the world is quite an accomplishment! I've often wondered if there is a correlation between time spent looking into a mobile device and lower average IQ scores. ????

'wonder' is a euphemism. You know the answer already. 

Most of the time I spend on my phone is viewing TVF each morning. That's pretty sad too. ☹️