House loft insulation

TTSIssues

Hi everyone

have searched the forums but can’t find an answer I am afraid so asking for some advice please. We have a single story house that has a brown tile roof and from what I can work out, absolutely no insulation in the loft space so it’s basically an oven. In the UK we have fibreglass wool insulation rolls to keep in the heat, and over here I have seen silver rolls of reflective insulation  in homepro, but this is not my area of expertise.

Could anyone please advise me how I can insulate the loft? Should i use the silver rolls, but do I lay them on top of the room ceilings? Or glue them to the underside of the roofing tiles? Sorry to sound like an idiot but honestly clueless.

thanks everyone

• Like 1

there are 2 types of insulation, the long rolls of silver foil in sizes up to 60m long, or the foam batts wrapped in foil which are 60cm*4m and either 75 or 150mm thick.

the first go under the roof tiles, the others go over the ceiling.

1 hour ago, MikeN said:

there are 2 types of insulation, the long rolls of silver foil in sizes up to 60m long, or the foam batts wrapped in foil which are 60cm*4m and either 75 or 150mm thick.

the first go under the roof tiles, the others go over the ceiling.

A few more than 2. There are also squares, usually PU foam with silver on both sides, that fit on top of ceiling tiles, rolls of fibreglass usually in reflective bags, also sprayed on PU foam, probably some more that I haven’t mentioned.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

my builder attached them to the underside of the clay tiles with wire....   this is the construction shed, makeshift living, for the home I am consider using Lindab sandwich panels mounted on steel frame ( http://www.maxxi.co.th/prefab-buildings/lindab-roof-solution/lindab-insulated-roof )

IMG_20200228_160139.thumb.jpg.434986f174d79d55f892d0cdca152716.jpg

Edited by ArranP

Thank you so much for your kind replies, I have found some thin foam wrapped in silver foil in a size of 0.9m x 4m called Sunshield for a flat ceiling, have bought 4 rolls to see what happens. Having looked in the roof space there is no way I am going up there at my age so now I need to find a thai builder In Krabi to pop up there for me! ???? thanks again, I really do appreciate it. 

22 minutes ago, TTSIssues said:

Thank you so much for your kind replies, I have found some thin foam wrapped in silver foil in a size of 0.9m x 4m called Sunshield for a flat ceiling, have bought 4 rolls to see what happens. Having looked in the roof space there is no way I am going up there at my age so now I need to find a thai builder In Krabi to pop up there for me! ???? thanks again, I really do appreciate it. 

No need for a "builder".  Any small person who can understand how to unroll a roll can do it.  BTW:  the "normal" width is 60cm so to fit within the normal ceiling hangers.  Do you have hangers?  Or how how is ceiling attached?

I bought 28 rolls of SCG Staycool 150mm and used my local contractor to install it. He never did it before. I showed him a SCG produced video about how to install it. He had a couple of his workers view it also. They went to work and installed all 28 rolls in my ceiling in just a few hours and took photos to show me the results. A year ago now and I am happy with the results

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/1/2020 at 8:30 AM, longball53098 said:

I bought 28 rolls of SCG Staycool 150mm and used my local contractor to install it. He never did it before. I showed him a SCG produced video about how to install it. He had a couple of his workers view it also. They went to work and installed all 28 rolls in my ceiling in just a few hours and took photos to show me the results. A year ago now and I am happy with the results

So you can feel a considerable improvement since installation?

On 3/1/2020 at 8:30 AM, longball53098 said:

I have put it above our bedroom in the first instance a month ago to see if it makes a difference. Not noticed any yet but hotter weather is here anyway.

3 hours ago, stouricks said:

I have put it above our bedroom in the first instance a month ago to see if it makes a difference. Not noticed any yet but hotter weather is here anyway.

IMO, because the ambient air temperature is always hot, there will be little or no benefit in installing these rolls of insulation.

They are reflective coated paper, and because the heat hitting them is from underneath as well as on the top they actually do nothing at all.

If you had cavity wall insulation and double/ triple glazing then you would see benefit

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cake Monster said:

IMO, because the ambient air temperature is always hot, there will be little or no benefit in installing these rolls of insulation.

They are reflective coated paper, and because the heat hitting them is from underneath as well as on the top they actually do nothing at all.

If you had cavity wall insulation and double/ triple glazing then you would see benefit

If the heat from below is equal to the heat from above that would be true.  In my case, they effectively reflect the radiant heat from the attic space and little if any heat comes through the ceiling as before.

• Thanks 2