Thailand cancels Buri Ram MotoGP amid Covid-19 threat

webfact

4 minutes ago, carabaothai said:

last week he said that MotoGp will be virus free ????????

I think that it was Newin who was assuring that all practical cautions and measures available would ensure the event was safe...from local event view.

Moto GP was not cancelled by the  Government, only announced by. And as one of many events that have been postponed due to same fears around the world. No surprise.

The biggest question will be what happens  with the  Tokyo Olympics ! By August who knows  what paranoia  will prevail?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tlandtday said:

Didn't he just say a week ago this would never be cancelled and the hot weather would kill it?  When will this guy be replaced?  Not soon enough you can be sure.

Not only that, A few hours ago he was saying it has been postponed not cancelled.

Will await the press release from Dorna me thinks.

2 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Indeed. I was just thinking the timing for this was a little coincidental considering his announcement that while he would NEVER (:cheesy:), stop people meeting for political reasons, he would stop them on health grounds. If the GP goes, nothing remains sacred and I can see us going back to the no more than 5 people may get together rule.

'he would stop them on health grounds'.

Seems to me like a bullet in the back, or being hit by an APC or a tank could be considered health grounds.

3 hours ago, champers said:

Better to miss out for one year rather than to risk having a major problem and never getting it back.

Thats probably what was said to Anutin by the ruling body of M" Moto GP ". But probably not as politely.

I still cannot believe that this Muppet said that the event would go ahead, and be free of Covid19

If Prayut has a reshuffle, he should seriously consider this guy Anutin for a vocational change.

2 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Ironic as WSB was cancelled partly due to Moto GP rearranging it's schedule to clash with WSB race. Moto GP normally in September.

With the Chinese F1 cancelled in mid April , there must now be doubts about FI GP in Vietnam on 5th April.

And the US motogp in early April. That's likely to be cancelled because of travel restrictions on people from Italy. There's a lot of teams and personnel from that way in motogp. I expect people here will still blame the Thais though.

American airlines and Delta  have both suspended flights from Milan for a start.

Edited by mrfill
  • Like 1

Well I think this is just the beginning,GP/F1 next will be all international sports. But while I was watching the premiere league not one spectator was wearing a mask. I think that it’s too far gone now,people need to work so they won’t self isolate. People here won’t get tested because it costs to much 10,000 baht. They can’t shut down the whole country,so what will be will be. Just got to do the best you can and hope for the best.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Titan1962 said:

Well I think this is just the beginning,GP/F1 next will be all international sports. But while I was watching the premiere league not one spectator was wearing a mask. I think that it’s too far gone now,people need to work so they won’t self isolate. People here won’t get tested because it costs to much 10,000 baht. They can’t shut down the whole country,so what will be will be. Just got to do the best you can and hope for the best.

Spoke on the phone to my mother, back in UK, yesterday.  Only Chinese wear masks.

4 hours ago, sherwood said:

The truth is that Dorna has cancelled the Thailand MotoGP not the Thai Government.

This fella is in face saving mode, as usual.

Hmmm. If Dorna had cancelled, they would have been liable for costs - which would be considerable. When a government cancels, they're off the hook.

Will you say the same when the US motogp race gets cancelled?

8 minutes ago, mrfill said:

Hmmm. If Dorna had cancelled, they would have been liable for costs - which would be considerable. When a government cancels, they're off the hook.

Will you say the same when the US motogp race gets cancelled?

Dorna has cancelled.

14 minutes ago, spiekerjozef said:

And the Germans

I got an SMS today that France and Germany have been added to the Thai list for high risk countries and are subject to 14 day self-quarantine. I think it's from the ministry of education since it came from my kids school. 

EDIT: it's MoPH: https://ddc.moph.go.th/viralpneumonia/eng/index.php

p1detail.jpg

Edited by DrTuner
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DrTuner said:

I got an SMS today that France and Germany have been added to the Thai list for high risk countries and are subject to 14 day self-quarantine. I think it's from the ministry of education since it came from my kids school. 

Well let's hope they don't declare war over it.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

Spoke on the phone to my mother, back in UK, yesterday.  Only Chinese wear masks.

Yes I can understand that, I have never in my 57 yrs worn one either.

Feels uncomfortable and annoying,but then again I have never lived in a country that has had so much pollution. So it’s hard to get used too,even now I struggle to wear it all the time. The misses wears hers like it’s part of her make up and every day ritual.

2 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Not only that, A few hours ago he was saying it has been postponed not cancelled.

Will await the press release from Dorna me thinks.

Dont be embarassed Don, just admit you were wrong when others said it would be cancelled.

7 minutes ago, AussieBob18 said:

Dont be embarassed Don, just admit you were wrong when others said it would be cancelled.

It's not been cancelled yet, but ive already admitted I was wrong (do read what others have posted before you start frothing at the mouth ?).

When I heard Qatar was cancelled as I assumed Thailand would also be chopped.

Due to the ongoing coronavirus outbreak, the decision has been taken to postpone the Thai GP

As the global outbreak of coronavirus continues to develop, the Thai government has communicated that it won’t be possible to hold the OR Thailand Grand Prix on its original date. The FIM, IRTA and Dorna therefore regret to announce that the event, due to be held on the 22nd of March in Buriram, has been postponed.

The FIM, IRTA and Dorna are currently evaluating if an alternative date is possible for the event later this season.

Further updates will be published as soon as available.

https://www.motogp.com/en/news/2020/03/02/or-thailand-grand-prix-postponed/326216

Edited by Don Mega

5 hours ago, smedly said:

They can now ban political gatherings lol

you couldn't make this stuff up

next announcement - all political gatherings banned because of COVID 19 risk

When will they shutdown the Skytrain, Subway, all public transport including buses and taxis, cinemas, all schools and uni's, all the bars and nightclubs, ALL the shopping malls, ALL flights to and from China because that is where the most people congregate.

5 hours ago, sherwood said:

deleted post

Edited by billd766
added extra text
  • Like 1