Thai Lion Air - NEVER Again

Speedo1968

My first flights for 4 years ( following a stroke ) ( in my 70's ).

Intention to travel from Khon Kaen to Bangkok to meet a daughter from UK for the first time in 4 years.

She is here for only 10 days.    Lived here in the past.
The intention was to also visit Ubon ( go come back same day ).

Out of a total of 6 flights booked with very suitable times 5 flights have been reassigned to other time slots that are totally unsuitable.    For Ubon it gave only 3 hours instead of 6 hours.

The times were changed without being contacted first leaving me to contact them which is impossible.  They never answer the phone whichever choice you make or time of day ( 6am to midnight ).     Email, no response.

When I check in at KK and arrive in Bangkok I will try to get different flights but that's "not going to happen" is it.   They made extra money by "bumping" me off !

I have paid my choice of tickets but they are all but useless.
Yes, I have been "bumped off" - something that never happened to me before since I started working in different countries back in the 1980's.

My intention this year was to fly with children and grand children to different locations in Asia, it will not be with Thai Lion Air.

Any one, and I am sure there are many, who have had similar problems ?    Any one had luck changing a flight ?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, transam said:

I don't think you are the only one who has had a prob with flight times changing, planes are not like a taxi rank, there is no plane queue  ..........

so why bother printing a timetable ?

just tell everyone turn up and first on get the seats

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jdiddy said:

At least their FAs are hotter than TG

If FAs means fares maybe they are lower but that doesn't help if you have to keep rescheduling your own timetable to fit in with their lack of concern and efficiency.    As with mine a visit cut from 6 to 3 hours.

4 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you are picking the worst time in recent history to travel by air because of the virus. many flights are cancelled and being rearranged.

and you are taking a bit of a risk with the virus traveling now at 70 years old.

good luck .

If they change the time of my flight to a late arrival and there is no transport to get me home who pays for the hotel bill ?

• Sad 2

Just now, Speedo1968 said:

If FAs means fares maybe they are lower but that doesn't help if you have to keep rescheduling your own timetable to fit in with their lack of concern and efficiency.    As with mine a visit cut from 6 to 3 hours.

If they change the time of my flight to a late arrival and there is no transport to get me home who pays for the hotel bill ?

SORRY NO IDEA WHAT HAS HAPPENED WITH THE ABOVE ATTACHMENTS _ JUMPING SCREEN AGAIN

12 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

Thanks for your concern Vacuum, I am just hacked off with the way airlines treat people, irrespective of age.

My daughters time is limited and she has a very full program part of which will be in Hua Hin.   We meet up in Bangkok and she departs a few days later.  

I had thought about meeting up in Ubon then both returning to Bangkok but I dread to think what mess up that ticketing could have caused.

I am generally fit, exercise daily including yoga, don't smoke or drink for many many years, have a good diet, but I did burn out a few times due to work load.   In general I am fitter now than when in my 50's.

From where I live I use local bus or train to KK or Korat, the latter is enjoyable this season.

No she is not a rookie but she needs a break from her very demanding work; wasting time traveling to and from KK would waste too much time.

No, full service airlines don't treat people like that. You get what you pay for.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Speedo1968 said:

SORRY NO IDEA WHAT HAS HAPPENED WITH THE ABOVE ATTACHMENTS _ JUMPING SCREEN AGAIN

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

you are picking the worst time in recent history to travel by air because of the virus. many flights are cancelled and being rearranged.

and you are taking a bit of a risk with the virus traveling now at 70 years old.

good luck .

TO the OP....This is the best advice you will receive, i recommend you take it, or book a private jet charter.  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

good luck .

Please explain to me why a re-scheduled or late running flight can be more susceptible to the virus than one flying on time.

And is Lion Air, Nok Air or Air Asia the most vulnerable.

And what's age go to do with travelling?

• Like 2

Just now, stouricks said:

Thanks, best have another ciggie then !    555

Weeeell, like me, if you get this virus it maybe curtains if you are an old guy, even though I gave up smoking last year.

Bit off topic but many years back in the UK I was due for an operation, beforehand loads of questions, think perhaps for the anesthetist.

"Do you smoke"..."No"....."Have you ever smoked"....."Yes".....

So it seems smoking during ones life can/does make a difference....:whistling:

• Like 1

Sadly with Lo cost airlines you tend to get what you pay for

They are "usually"great if you have time, are totally flexible,travel with nothing more than toothbrush, or book months in advance!

If you have a normal amount of luggage or want  to adhere to schedule or book late IMHO you are always with whatever lo cost airline taking a big chance

• Like 1

19 hours ago, transam said:

I don't think you are the only one who has had a prob with flight times changing, planes are not like a taxi rank, there is no plane queue  ..........

What does that even mean?

Are you trying to tell us that having the  departure times of 5 out of 6 departure times changed without notification is a regular occurrence?

Indeed flights are not like taxis, taxis you take when you need one, flights are scheduled in advance.

Im confused as to why you even felt the need to make such a pointless and nonsensical comment.

Confused, but not suprised

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, metempsychotic said:

What does that even mean?

Are you trying to tell us that having the  departure times of 5 out of 6 departure times changed without notification is a regular occurrence?

Indeed flights are not like taxis, taxis you take when you need one, flights are scheduled in advance.

Im confused as to why you even felt the need to make such a pointless and nonsensical comment.

Confused, but not suprised

Oh dear, oh dear....Yes you are confused, and I am not surprised... 

So you have never had a flight delayed, for what ever reason....?  ????

Or you have, but a spare plane came out of the parking lot so as not to upset you...?

19 minutes ago, poohy said:

Sadly with Lo cost airlines you tend to get what you pay for

They are "usually"great if you have time, are totally flexible,travel with nothing more than toothbrush, or book months in advance!

If you have a normal amount of luggage or want  to adhere to schedule or book late IMHO you are always with whatever lo cost airline taking a big chance

I sat in a 747 for three hours waiting to take off at Gatwick, they told us there was a faulty guage on their dash, we were waiting for an engineer to come and fix it.

So, got to the USA 3 hours late. Those in the USA waiting to get on that plane also had to wait an extra 3 hours. Sh_t happens...

At Ubon our late flight to BKK was cancelled due to a "technical" problem, went home, put on a plane the next day...Not Lion Air....????

19 hours ago, transam said:

Actually, you're wrong. There is a plane queue and it's quite a critical one, especially at busy airports. It's known in the trade as 'slot times'.

Airlines work to very tight schedules in order to keep their aircraft in the sky for as long as possible. It's the only time that they make money and if one aircraft misses its allocated slot time it can have repercussions right down the chain.

1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

Actually, you're wrong. There is a plane queue and it's quite a critical one, especially at busy airports. It's known in the trade as 'slot times'.

Airlines work to very tight schedules in order to keep their aircraft in the sky for as long as possible. It's the only time that they make money and if one aircraft misses its allocated slot time it can have repercussions right down the chain.

I think you are being picky, the subject is about a cancelled or even delayed flight and another plane not being available to fill the slot...

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Speedo1968 said:

OP, the post you are are replying to meant “ at least FA’s ( Flight Attendants ) are hotter than TG ( Thai Airways )”

Not a real lot of help to your plight ????

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh dear, oh dear....Yes you are confused, and I am not surprised... 

So you have never had a flight delayed, for what ever reason....?  ????

Or you have, but a spare plane came out of the parking lot so as not to upset you...

Yes, I have had flights delayed, but that is not what we are talking about, is it?

Now, I ask again, is having the flight times out of 5 out of 6 booked flights changed a normal occurrence? 

If you cannot discern the difference between these two scenarios, perhaps it would be better we dont discuss the matter further.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, transam said:

I think you are being picky, the subject is about a cancelled or even delayed flight and another plane not being available to fill the slot...

Yes, I know exactly what the topic is about and I'm telling you about the repercussions of one delayed or cancelled flight. That's not being 'picky' that's real life in the aviation industry.

Edited by Moonlover

48 minutes ago, transam said:

Weeeell, like me, if you get this virus it maybe curtains if you are an old guy, even though I gave up smoking last year.

Bit off topic but many years back in the UK I was due for an operation, beforehand loads of questions, think perhaps for the anesthetist.

"Do you smoke"..."No"....."Have you ever smoked"....."Yes".....

So it seems smoking during ones life can/does make a difference....:whistling:

It takes about 6 months for the nicotine and other toxins to exit the body. Restoring lung capacity takes between 5 to 10 years, depending on other lifestyle choices such as exercise. That's why anesthetists always ask.

My current lung capacity is 5.5 litres. It was 3 litres when I smoked.