Pattaya: 600 dogs taken off the streets have just been abandoned

webfact

Neuter and release may seem like a good idea, as dogs will come in a territory left open by removing the original dog from it. But it does not get to the root of the issue.

People.

I wonder why some people 'keep' dogs, when they don't and cannot understand the concept of responsibility, and they don't and cannot feed or train or control them. I cannot understand how a council, for want of a better word, doesn't have animal control wardens and a place to take the animals, for disposal if the 'owner' fails to collect in a reasonable time.

• Haha 1

So now we can expect 600 dogs back out in the streets?  No tourists left anyway so they can do their doggy activities anywhere they want. 

• Like 1

Why can't Thais get it together in this area? The treatment of dogs in the country is absolutely horrific. They need to round them up and humanely euthanize them, rather than indiscriminately putting out poisoned meat (the method of choice in Koh Phangan where I lived), or dumping them elsewhere to starve to death.  Fix the ones they don't kill, to control the population. Guess avoiding animal cruelty isn't as Buddhist as one might think. 

5 hours ago, tlandtday said:

What all the dog or animal lovers seem to forget is that all these stray dogs put an incredible destructive toll on the local wildlife.  What do you think they are eating?

What do you think that they are eating? Serious question, I've only seen them

scavenging or eating their own poop.

20 hours ago, Eindhoven said:

Perhaps they should apply the same thinking to some TVF members...

I agree; all TVF members who <deleted> on street corners; savage children; disturb the peace for nights on end; cause road accidents by running under the wheels of vehicles; spread rabies; spread litter by scavenging in rubbish bags; should be euthanized.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mikebell said:

I agree; all TVF members who <deleted> on street corners; savage children; disturb the peace for nights on end; cause road accidents by running under the wheels of vehicles; spread rabies; spread litter by scavenging in rubbish bags; should be euthanized.

What about those that bark and howl at the moon all night?..... Not certain if they are TVF members though. 

22 hours ago, mercman24 said:

21st century Thailand with 600 dogs roaming the streets, this is just Pattaya, i wonder what the number is country wide, see them where ever one goes, all with their *bits* intact , and before you dog lovers chime in, yes i have a dog and take care of it, with bitches having 4 + puppies, its an epidemic,

In my wife's village there 300 + and only about 70 houses bloody nightmare up there I call it HELL

I love dogs, I have a small house pet, but, being a responsible owner she has been spayed, her vaccinations are being kept up to date so she will not contribute to the dog population. 

It is estimated that there are about 8.5 million dogs in Thailand, of which about 730,000 are abandoned by their owners. Bangkok alone is estimated to have from 100,000 to 300,000 street dogs.

There is one answer - euthanization of all strays and unlicensed dogs.  Limit ownership to 2 dogs per family.  Heavy fines for those who defy the laws - maybe 5,000 baht.

• Sad 1

On 3/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, darksidedog said:

I have two dogs, both rescued from a bad situation and they are part of the family. It makes me seethe to hear of such wanton cruelty and stupidity in rounding up hundreds of stray dogs and just abandoning them somewhere. Did no one, when ordering their round up think beyond stage one, regarding what happened to them afterwards? I cannot believe that such cruelty is not covered by law and hope the idiots behind this get well and truly slapped for such appalling behaviour.

True !

But even worst are the people paying for dogs and feeding retarded inhuman breeders who just kill the females when not useful anymore.

Someone must he an idiot to give any money to these breeders.

This is the dog shelter

Location is here, I hope that we can still help

https://goo.gl/maps/z3W2GaWa8Ni6qRKi7

Edited by gamesgplayemail
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, geoffrobbo said:

Round up, euthanize the unhealthy, neuter and release the remainder.

Just taking them off the street is no solution. The strays establish their territory and if they are removed more just come in to take the place.

euthanize the unhealthy ?

talking about yourself ?

On 3/4/2020 at 11:54 AM, Just Weird said:

It's be a great start, though, and, eventually, they wouldn't all be replaced.

Actually they would unless they round them up and killed them every 3 months.

When a dog is removed from a territory another will replace it. It gives a hand up to another dog. Less confrontation with other dogs, less competition for food etc and worst of all more chance to mate with any females.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Sametboy2019 said:

Actually they would unless they round them up and killed them every 3 months.

That's why its an ongoing process remove them and keep on removing them..other countries have dedicated government run teams that do just that..the public can phone them and have stray,injured or dangerous animals removed..that's one of the things needed funding country wide not a submarine or 2.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 10:06 AM, akssdude said:

Hard to say what to do with them. You can't really put them down as that won't fix the situation. In a few months there will be another 600 waiting to replace them.

Shoot them all, round up the next batch, and repeat.

On 3/4/2020 at 9:42 AM, darksidedog said:

I have two dogs, both rescued from a bad situation and they are part of the family. It makes me seethe to hear of such wanton cruelty and stupidity in rounding up hundreds of stray dogs and just abandoning them somewhere. Did no one, when ordering their round up think beyond stage one, regarding what happened to them afterwards? I cannot believe that such cruelty is not covered by law and hope the idiots behind this get well and truly slapped for such appalling behaviour.

Most unfortunately, expect no reprisal :crying:

• Like 1

How do you kill 600 dogs easily, dart guns? You can't catch every one and humanely put it down, the others would get aggressive I would think. You have to get past the emotional part and keep a lid on them. While their situation isn't their fault, they serve no purpose.

Tourist in the phills was killed by rabies from a dog bite a while back. Picked it up because it was cute and a harmless bite caused it, not an aggressive bite.

Edited by supdog
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, supdog said:

How do you kill 600 dogs easily,

By (the Govt) announcing an annual Paw/Tail bounty to coincide with the school summer holidays each year?

(It worked for feral/vermin species elsewhere)

On 3/4/2020 at 10:02 AM, mikebell said:

All strays should be rounded up and euthanized.  It's a chronic waste of oxygen and resources wasted on muck-making machines which spread bacteria/disease AND cause accidents.  I thought Thailand citizens were running fearful of catching stuff.

Euthanise the lot of them - solve all the problems.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 12:04 AM, Destiny1990 said:

There is clearly lacking a vision.

Lets just wait for the next stray dog pack attack on some child.

The day after some poor kid is attacked and mauled and maybe even killed - all is forgotten -- mai bpen rai TIT. 

I'm an animal lover, a dog lover in particular, but I think they should be rounded up, given a reasonable chance at adoption, given a good "condemned man's" last meal, some love and affection, then euthanised painlessly; failing that, all soi dogs should be neutered. No money in that though. I suspect it's in someone's financial interest to keep a decent stock in existence, valuable commodities in some countries.

images (1).jpeg

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Artisi said:

The day after some poor kid is attacked and mauled and maybe even killed - all is forgotten -- mai bpen rai TIT. 

2 weeks ago a friend was bitten while walking/excersising, resulting in him requiring 30+ stitches & IV antibiotics every 6hrs for about a week.

Edited by evadgib

They need to come to Jomtien and get the dogs there as well. All they do is  have babies, knock over the street track cans at night for food. You can not go in a 7/11 without having to walk around one laying the the entrance. 

Those of you that love them so much, take them in at your home. Then we will wait for your complaint of having too many. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/4/2020 at 4:02 PM, mikebell said:

All strays should be rounded up and euthanized.  It's a chronic waste of oxygen and resources wasted on muck-making machines which spread bacteria/disease AND cause accidents.  I thought Thailand citizens were running fearful of catching stuff.

They used to sell stray dogs to neighbouring countries for food, then the do gooders stopped that. They should give every one of the people that stopped the dog trade take stray dogs and look after them.