DUAL SPORT MODULAR helmet???

hithere

Here is a good place to start. https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/sharp-testing/ It is not a definitive list but has most of the major manufacturers.

I have an LS2 FF324 Metro and a HJC max three for day to day riding. The HJC has better airflow and better inserts that be easily cleaned. The secondary tinted visor does not go down enough and the actuator is on the top of the helmet near the main vent. Takes a while to get used to it.  There is decent airflow whilst not being overly noisy. The flip up actuator is good. I'd probably buy this model again.

The LS2's inserts is of a lower quality and the poly compressed rather quickly making it loose. The inner tinted visor is good and has a better location for the actuator. It is on the side of the helmet. It also has good air flow. The flip up actuator feels less sturdy but has never failed me. I would buy this again if I had limited options.

Keep the flip up actuators well lubricated for ease of use.

Edited by Farangwithaplan
  • Like 1

I brought an LS2 FF324 Metro Firefly with me on the bird.

Bought it because of the excellent airflow. Large channels in the top vent hot air out. Works great - first helmet here where my head doesn't get wet with sweat.

Built in sun visor works great.

The visor - took it off right away as it is just too flimsy. (Black in pic)

The provided clear shield is not pinlock ready, but the replacements I brought with me are - strange.

I wear ear plugs - but even without the noise is acceptable up to about 120

Would replace it with the same if required.

LS2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was thinking about Scorpion ADX 1, have heard now the air flow is not very good, Nexx X.vilijord should be in Thailand next week, have to find it on YouTube ???? 

Will look at the helmets you guys mention 

I have a Caberg Duke for 4 years now. Very good value for money (bought in Bangkok)

Helmet_Caberg_DukeLeBlkYel.jpg

https://www.caberg.it/en/helmets/flip-up

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/?manufacturer=Caberg&model=All&type=1

http://pandarider.com/Panda/Product_Helmets_Caberg.html

They propose, as well, a "Dual Sport Modular" helmet

https://www.caberg.it/en/helmets/flip-up/tourmax

Helmet_Caberg_TourTitanC0FD00I81.jpg

Shoei Neotec. Bought here (Paddock) and used for +5 years. Very well constructed (should be for the price) and padding hasn't deteriorated at all in that time. Ventilation is great when moving above say 60 kmh. Below that, not so good. The new model Neotec 2 has more ventilation channels / ducts in the top of the helmet. The integrated sun visor works well but I usually prefer sunglasses. My helmet is black and while it gets hot in the sun, I've never noticed the heat coming through to my head.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 08.38.24.jpg

12 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

Shoei Neotec. Bought here (Paddock) and used for +5 years. Very well constructed (should be for the price) and padding hasn't deteriorated at all in that time. Ventilation is great when moving above say 60 kmh. Below that, not so good. The new model Neotec 2 has more ventilation channels / ducts in the top of the helmet. The integrated sun visor works well but I usually prefer sunglasses. My helmet is black and while it gets hot in the sun, I've never noticed the heat coming through to my head.

Screen Shot 2020-03-06 at 08.38.24.jpg

I also use the same helmet and also find it hot in the city, but guess any helmet is hot when riding in town. 

I like being able to flip up the front when at the lights. I don’t want to ride an open face helmet - I’m too pretty to risk my good looks landing on my face !!:1zgarz5: This is not a dual sport helmet though.

Schubert make the E1. There was a thread a few months ago where one guy complained because the buckle on that got rusty. He also complained about the fit of the helmet and seemed to blame Schubert instead of himself for choosing the wrong ’shape’... So, lesson from that thread, know your head shape and chose a helmet accordingly. 

If you can, wear a helmet for at least 20mins to see if any tight spots start to present themselves.  

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I'm not a fan of these modular helmets. I guess they're OK to have flipped up at the lights but I worry about exposing your chin in the event of a crash if you ride with them flipped up.

I was hit from behind by a car in Bangkok 6 weeks ago and knocked unconscious for about 5 minutes. Looking at my helmet, I'd have had extensive jaw/dental damage without a full face helmet. As it was, I didn't even have a headache after I regained consciousness. 

Ouch - glad you are ok. 

With modular helmets, its good to flip up the front at the lights and get more air, but never ride with the lid flipped up. 

The photo of your helmet perfectly highlights the absolute necessity of having a decent helmet (if that needs highlighting to any of us on this forum)... but it also highlights the necessity of having a full face (or modular) helmet rather than open face, even on a scooter - you’d probably be dead without a helmet. 

Did you have any other safety gear on? Jacket, boots, gloves, kevlar pants etc ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JonnyF said:

Thanks. I was wearing a Dainese mesh jacket that did a pretty good job but I suspect with my full leather jacket with bigger armour I would have been spared the broken shoulder and maybe the ribs as well. A bit of road rash on my forearm and shoulder but very minor.

Gloves were Ducati leather gloves, but the thin ones not full on race gloves. No road rash but a broken thumb. I have better gloves which would have done a better job but we all make these trade offs for the sake of comfort and convenience as we never expect to crash.

I wore normal Levis jeans which did a decent job, a bit of road rash on both knees but not too bad.

Dr. Martens style boots which did a very good job. You can see the scuffs on the top of the boots (on top of my toes) where I obviously slid face down, but my feet were undamaged. 

I feel very lucky. It happened on a small unlit soi between 2 main roads and I was knocked out and woke up in the ambulance. I could have easily been run over whilst unconscious in the road as it was dark about 7.30pm. Could have ended up much worse. The car that hit me did a runner so I'm thankful for whoever called the ambulance. 

Thanks for the info - Glad the kit worked. More reason not to be complacent when nipping out further than the 7-11 and just having shorts and T-shirt. It’s just sometimes so hot, this thread serves as an important reminder (apologies for taking the thread slightly off-topic, but it is an important off topic point to make !).

I have the Innovv-K2 camera installed on my bike (forward and rear facing) records automatically whenever the ignition is on. It doesn’t have a 360° view, but covers a lot of the forward and rear angles and would likely have got a plate number of the ass-clown who hit you and sped off. 

An accident is an accident but when someone is left unconscious and a driver escapes the scene and doesn’t help I don’t care how often its done and if its the norm, that person is scum and deserves everything they are about to get. 

673210639_Screenshot2020-03-06at19_50_58.png.7bc6713d42874f59e866e51d4362eb4c.png

Back on topic: 

Helmets - which one... Head shape is important (if you didn’t already know that) - some helmet brands fit certain head shapes better. Its wise to ‘know your head shape’ when choosing a helmet. 

images.png

20130508-Arai-Historical-Head-Shape-Chart.png

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I also use the same helmet and also find it hot in the city, but guess any helmet is hot when riding in town. 

I like being able to flip up the front when at the lights. I don’t want to ride an open face helmet - I’m too pretty to risk my good looks landing on my face !!:1zgarz5: This is not a dual sport helmet though.

Schubert make the E1. There was a thread a few months ago where one guy complained because the buckle on that got rusty. He also complained about the fit of the helmet and seemed to blame Schubert instead of himself for choosing the wrong ’shape’... So, lesson from that thread, know your head shape and chose a helmet accordingly. 

If you can, wear a helmet for at least 20mins to see if any tight spots start to present themselves.  

I bought a Schubert E1 about a year ago, i think it's very noisy although it's a good fit. I've never owned a flip up helmet and don't rate it for noise, a friend recommended it.

I went back to using my GT Air 2 which is much quieter, won't both with another flip up.

Yeah sorry to take the thread off topic, just thought I'd add some real world experience to the debate about full face vs open face etc.

Thankfully I'm still devilishly handsome due to my choice of full face ????.

• Haha 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:55 PM, JustAnotherHun said:

I use the Touratech Aventuro. Very good airflow and multi functional:

Aventuro-Mod_1.jpg

Made by Nexx, thats why i really look at the new Nexx x vilijord, many modular helmets are 5+ years old now, wanna see new generation of dual sport helmets 

On 3/8/2020 at 2:52 PM, scubascuba3 said:

were you waiting at lights? at front or behind car?

No I wasn't waiting at lights, I was moving about 60-70kph. I'm guessing they were texting or drunk (they fled the scene).

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

No I wasn't waiting at lights, I was moving about 60-70kph. I'm guessing they were texting or drunk (they fled the scene).

That's my fear, you can try to reduce the risk as much as possible but a drunk or texting person could just take you out

• Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 9:47 AM, JonnyF said:

I'm not a fan of these modular helmets. I guess they're OK to have flipped up at the lights but I worry about exposing your chin in the event of a crash if you ride with them flipped up.

I was hit from behind by a car in Bangkok 6 weeks ago and knocked unconscious for about 5 minutes. Looking at my helmet, I'd have had extensive jaw/dental damage without a full face helmet. As it was, I didn't even have a headache after I regained consciousness. 

image.png.2e70a8271b42ce1ad487f1675ef0ce5e.png 

Good to see that your head was okay. Time for a new helmet, methinks! 

11 hours ago, BBJ said:

The best helmet without a doubt for the money is the Caberg Tourmax.  The Caberg Tourmax has a higher safety rating than Aria and Shoei when it is in its closed position.  Flipped, you will not ride it far unless you remove the peak as their is too much drag.  Bug great for a quick cool down.  So while people will compare it to open face, bare in mind when closed others don't touch it for safety.  

I owned one and was very happy with its quality and performance.  I then switched to a Nexx XD.1 which was a letdown.  Not only was it noisy, at higher speeds, it was also difficult to keep my head stationary due to the peak design and flat sides.  Additionally, the peak screw snapped and flipped the peak down blinding my vision at 120kph.

I presently use a Klim Krios Pro which I believe isn't available here yet and is expected to be around 35-40k when it is.  Super light, very quiet and very stable, almost street style with the peak on due to the rear fin.  However, I would not pay the asking price for Klim here in Thailand.  I bought in Australia and brought it back for 19k.

I have owned Shoei, Arai also, but without doubt, the Caberg was the best for price, quality and cost.

BTW, on another forum, there are a few complaints about the Scorpion being very noisy around the peak with a whacking wallowing noise of air.

I had YT reviews on all these helmets but over Xmas my channel was hacked and 6-years worth of reviews gone. 

As with anything, all personal preference.  Everyone has their favorite, but not many had had the opportunity to try most of them.

klim.jpg

Thx
Good ventilation with the tourmax when closed at slow speed? i tried one it fit perfect, i look at Nexx x vilijord, they have 1 left but its in CM so i can't try it ???? buy Tourmax or buy a helmet i can't try, Nexx x Vilijord a brand new helmet 

https://www.nexx-helmets.com/en/helmets/x-vilijord/mudvalley/black-grey-mt/

7 hours ago, BBJ said:

I'd never buy a helmet you can't try unless the dealer will let you send it back.

They agree to send Nexx x vilijord to me to try it, i can return and buy another size

This video about that helmet, don't have a clue what he say don’t understand him

8 hours ago, canthai55 said:

Can't find the Klim Krios Pro on the Sharp website.

Who makes it for them ?

Yep, nothing on Sharp as it is down to whether a manufacturer is willing to submit a helmet for testing with them.  Klim are claiming the new Koroyd impact material, that is like a bunch of straws under the lining, is 40% more absorbent than the usual tech.  When I visited Australia, I had 3 on my mind but the Klim was without doubt the most comfortable and quietest.  But I would not pay the asking price for any of their gear here in Thailand.  Magnetized chin strap too.  A doddle to fasten with gloves on.