US Visa for Thai Spouse getting tougher

Just a quick warning to fellow US expats. I sent my wife up to Bangkok alone to apply for a visa and she was rejected because she didn't have  my passport, even though she had a signed copy and many other supporting documents. In the past she was issued tourist visas twice when applying without my being with her.

Total lost cost in airfare, hotels and the 4,600 baht application fee is about 10,000 baht, and now will go higher as we will have to repeat the whole retarded process together as a couple.

One of the great mysteries to me is why the TSA doesn't 'stamp out' foreign visitors, so they have proof of having left after previous visits. I have been in Thailand 30 years and my old passports have all the records of when I stamped out of Thailand and into Laos, Burma and Malaysia. Why doesn't the US do this, like just about every other country on the planet that I am aware of?

It seems like the USA is more interested in undressing and humiliating people than actual security or actually tracking foreigners who visit their country.

My wife was devastated, and called me up crying....

so take this as a word of warning...accompany you spouse to the embassy, or risk being in the position we are in now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I guess things have changed and that actually sounds like a good rule to me.

Having you present with your passport.

And the US does give you an entry document so that would be proof she came back with the entry stamp here.

Just a note, you should be happy she can even get this type of Visa now. I am surprised actually.

No Thai girls that I know of are getting them for tourist.  These are not bar girls either.

US just not handing them out usually Fiance or work Visa are the limited routes now.

Edited by bkk6060
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

I guess things have changed and that actually sounds like a good rule to me.

Having you present with your passport.

And the US does give you an entry document so that would be proof she came back with the entry stamp here.

Just a note, you should be happy she can even get this type of Visa now. I am surprised actually.

No Thai girls that I know of are getting them for tourist.  These are not bar girls either.

US just not handing them out usually Fiance or work Visa are the limited routes now.

I just can't stand the waste of time and money. So now I have to spend the whole morning doing the paperwork again when I could (literally) be out working on my garden or doing something else that feels productive. Anyway, if another can benefit from the warning that's the best I can do.

• Haha 1

Believe your marriage was key to visa issue so perhaps best to look it as the same criteria Thailand uses to extend an entry for marriage (both have to  appear to prevent use by those who are no longer together).  In this case they want to be sure she is still with you and not looking for another.  

Edited by lopburi3
  • Like 1

On 3/5/2020 at 10:02 AM, lopburi3 said:

Believe your marriage was key to visa issue so perhaps best to look it as the same criteria Thailand uses to extend an entry for marriage (both have to  appear to prevent use by those who are no longer together).  In this case they want to be sure she is still with you and not looking for another.  

That is definitely not the case. I just got back from Bangkok, where I stood in line to accompany her into the embassy to plead our case. They refused to let me accompany her.

This time she had every conceivable piece of documentation one could imagine, including my current and all former passports dating back 30+ years. And three for my daughter...bank statements, pictures of our school and her elderly parents, etc.

Please don't forget that we have been married 15 years and she has already visited the US twice on  tourist visas and returned to Thailand both times. She also has no criminal record, tattoos or any other attributes that I would imagine could rouse suspicion of character in any way.

While I was waiting for her I noticed another guy that seemed to be in a similar position, though his wife was applying for a different visa class -- the one that sets you up for a Green Card.

He said he used a "Thai Agent", a woman in her 30s (I presume), that was waiting there with him.

We talked for a while, to kill time and stress during the wait, and an about an hour later my wife came out with tears in her eyes: denied again.

The other guy's wife got the visa she requested.

So we asked his 'agent' why my wife was denied. She said that it was standard  now: the new policy is no tourist visas for Thai wives, and she said that this policy has been in effect since [Trump*] took office. [*She referred to him in Thai as 'your current Prime Minister', but I think it is fairly clear who she was referring to.]

So my advice to anyone who is seeking to bring a Thai wife back to the States for a holiday on a tourist visa; don't bother.

So far I am out 30,000 baht+ on this, not including all the stress of having to travel during the corona virus panic and lost wages due to having to shut down our school.

I hope this helps out any other law-abiding US expats who might might be thinking of applying -- or voting in the upcoming election.

10 hours ago, phuketsub said:

That is definitely not the case. I just got back from Bangkok, where I stood in line to accompany her into the embassy to plead our case. They refused to let me accompany her.

That has been policy for at least several decades - my comment was in reference to having access to your passport as you said that was the reason for refusal - not that you need to be with her (but understand was lost in my using Thai extension example where that is required - sorry).  I find it hard to believe that all tourist visas have been stopped for those married to foreigners (that would be major news).  Would not hurt to make a congressional inquiry at this point if you have no reason for refusal (remember it does not have to be criminal in nature - working at the wrong job/location could cause rejection for some).  I would not believe an agent and flatly do not believe no tourist visas are being issued to spouses.  At this point in time would not rule out COVID-19 as being a factor, officially or not.  This is probably not the best of times to be requesting visas for anywhere.

Thanks for your reply. The told her the first time around that her not having my passport was a reason for refusal and that she should bring it next time, but they didn't even look at it on the second attempt.

We are pretty much resigned to the decision and won't apply again; I just want others who may be applying (or thinking about applying) not to set their expectations too high.

I am just appalled at the service/treatment by our government, which now seems to be running off an AI app.

• Sad 1