Has Thailand had enough of Western tourists and their ‘entitlement’?

webfact

15 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Using what kinda visas?

She never has a visa, she just exempts through. She probably never has 20000 baht with her either or if she does, it's crumpled mixed currency in the bottom of her bag.

32 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

They are like wallpaper to me

I have a condo and the wallpaper is textured and peeling in places... not sure if it needs to be taken off or can be painted over? 

just playing off tangents here... 

4 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

Gotta say, as a Westerner who lives happily amongst Thai, I don't really get any <deleted> from Thai people.... when I find myself around farang, though most are polite, some are aggressive and rude... I have seen them loudly reprimanding bank employees and customer service workers who are politely going about their jobs... 

seems a bit narrow minded and silly to come to Thailand and berate Thai people for being Thai... 

Let's take the "Thai" and "farang" aspect out of the equation for a second. What about berating people who are incompetent and have a poor work attitude? Irrespective of who they are, where they're from or who's berating them. 

I think it's too easy to fall into the "farang berating Thais" or "Thais don't like being told of by farang" trap. If we could ignore the nationalities, skin colours, religions, etc. it would be a completely different argument/discussion. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, djayz said:

it would be a completely different argument/discussion. 

and not the discussion that is currently going on... look at the topic of the title... you are trying to change this to which city has the best zoo... entirely irrelevant... but thanks for playing. 

4 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

She never has a visa, she just exempts through. She probably never has 20000 baht with her either or if she does, it's crumpled mixed currency in the bottom of her bag.

Truly amazing. I thought you were only allowed to do two visa on arrivals within a year, and your daughter has done "at least" four in six months. And add to that she hands over crumpled old mixed currency from the bottom of her bag.

Unbelievable! 

Just now, rkidlad said:

Truly amazing. I thought you were only allowed to do two visa on arrivals within a year, and your daughter has done "at least" four in six months. And add to that she hands over crumpled old mixed currency from the bottom of her bag.

Unbelievable! 

No dude she doesnt hand over the currency, they dont ask. She just smiles and says kop khun kah and strolls in. I think shes heading to BKK at the end of the month if the virus cooperates.

Maybe she has less hassle because she usually comes into DMK.

2 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

No dude she doesnt hand over the currency, they dont ask. She just smiles and says kop khun kah and strolls in. I think shes heading to BKK at the end of the month if the virus cooperates.

Maybe she has less hassle because she usually comes into DMK.

Amazing. She has strolled in "at least" four times in six months. And even more amazing, she has less hassle at an airport that is well-known for being overly strict.

Oh, when I said she hands over the crumpled old money from the bottom of her bag, I didn't mean she gives it to them. I meant she shows it to them as a way of proving she has funds.

Your story is truly unbelievable. 

2 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

and not the discussion that is currently going on... look at the topic of the title... you are trying to change this to which city has the best zoo... entirely irrelevant... but thanks for playing. 

It's not irrelevant at all. If a Thai superior criticizes his/her Thai subordinate for incompetence, noboby thinks twice about it, but if a Thai should be told off by a foreign customer for the same reason, then it's a completely different ball game. 

Vice versa if a foreign tourist should damage a holy or popular tourist attraction, then the Thais are really upset, but, if one of the locals do something similar, then it's all "mai bpen rai". 

"Thanks for playing" - have absolutely no idea what you're on about. 

• Like 1

So I bounced from this rewrite of the original, to the original blogpost, and my view is that people who have been in Thailand awhile change as they get older sometimes. They realize its a young world, and they are no longer part of it. Maybe the bargirls treat them different, maybe they snarl at Thai and they snarl back.

I don't particularly think anything in the article is true, other then more people from everywhere are coming to Thailand as more neighboring nations develop and thus have a new class of people who have some affluence and can travel.

Thailand may be concentrating on these rising markets, but I think to them anyone coming to spend money in Thailand is a good thing. Currently down from Bangkok in Phuket a few days. I see people here from everywhere. 

On 3/4/2020 at 1:08 PM, BritManToo said:

Was in a hotel last year with around 50 Israeli backpackers who'd just finished their national service.

They were a really nice and friendly bunch, the girls had very small bikinis, the guys were really buff and had loads of weed, and they were happily including me (the only old guy in the place) in their pass the joint sessions.

When I was younger, I always loved partying with Israelis.

37 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

I meant she shows it to them as a way of proving she has funds.

No shes never done that to my knowledge.

38 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

well sorry dude, I can only report what I am told. I either meet her at DMK, or she just shows up. I think once they asked her where she was staying because she didnt write it down, and she didnt know my address, so she just said she was staying with me in Talat Phlu and I was outside waiting for her and they just stamped her in. I think that was before all the TN 30 hullabaloo.

I know she got semi scammed by a taxi at the Cebu City Airport once, but she reported it to the tourist popo and they gave her her money back.

41 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Amazing. She has strolled in "at least" four times in six months. And even more amazing, she has less hassle at an airport that is well-known for being overly strict.

Oh, when I said she hands over the crumpled old money from the bottom of her bag, I didn't mean she gives it to them. I meant she shows it to them as a way of proving she has funds.

My friend (staying with me atm, has just entered via swampy for the fourth time in the last 6 months, visa exempt every time and has never had a word uttered to him at immigration.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Unbelievable! 

Depends on how long she stays, it it's a week and then off to another country no problem.

If it's full 30 days then extend another 30 days everytime, big problem.

PS. VISA waiver for westerners.

6 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

No shes never done that to my knowledge.

well sorry dude, I can only report what I am told. I either meet her at DMK, or she just shows up. I think once they asked her where she was staying because she didnt write it down, and she didnt know my address, so she just said she was staying with me in Talat Phlu and I was outside waiting for her and they just stamped her in. I think that was before all the TN 30 hullabaloo.

I know she got semi scammed by a taxi at the Cebu City Airport once, but she reported it to the tourist popo and they gave her her money back.

I guess immigration has changed their policy recently. Who knew? 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, DannyCarlton said:

My friend (staying with me atm, has just entered via swampy for the fourth time in the last 6 months, visa exempt every time and has never had a word uttered to him at immigration.

I'm very surprised. 

I guess immigration has changed their policy recently. Who knew? 

What policy? She comes in, she leaves.

I'm very surprised. 

Why? Ive never had a hassle on entry, visa in hand or exempt. 25 years.

5 minutes ago, Nyezhov said:

What policy? She comes in, she leaves.

Why? Ive never had a hassle on entry, visa in hand or exempt. 25 years.

I thought there was policy of only 2 entries on arrival in a year.

10 minutes ago, rkidlad said:

Even for flying. I've read and heard countless stories. 

well then I just gave you another story. Dont be scared, come on over!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, djayz said:

have absolutely no idea what you're on about. 

That seems obvious...

2 hours ago, djayz said:

if a foreign tourist should damage a holy or popular tourist attraction, then the Thais are really upset, but, if one of the locals do something similar, then it's all "mai bpen rai". 

totally ridiculous... though I have never heard of a Thai spray painting graffiti or damaging iconic places... 

On 3/4/2020 at 10:23 AM, Ventenio said:

This is all pre-corona.  

Can you imagine if it was a Brit, American, etc... who brought the Corona.  We would be finished. 

But now........we are in demand, again.... except we have a brain, so supply is lower than a bottomless pit.  

except we have a brain

Reality is, everyone HAS brains. It's just how they use it!

Reading some posts, the mind boggles on this subject.