Regular police show up at my house

18 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I usually give them a hard time. They usually let me go. They do not want to deal with people who give them a hard time. They are local franchisees, working the franchise. They are looking for easy marks. I find as foreigners, for whatever reason, they tend to give us alot of leeway. I have literally just driven away from a police stop, after trying to negotiate a reasonable fine. They stuck with 1000 baht. I just drove away. When I looked in my rearview, they were screaming at me. But, nobody followed me. And even if they had, so what? Not like the US where they would likely shoot you. 

More likely to be shot here rather than the US

• Confused 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mick220675 said:

Many years ago our local police visited me at home and finger printed me. When I asked why they said many Thai woman are bad and kill foreigner, so we need your finger prints.

It made me think about my wife, could she be a killer?

But that's only useful if or when they find your body, the hands are still attached!

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

There has been so much publicity about the immigration hotline number encouraging people to report suspicious foreigners and even promising rewards for doing so that this is what is to be expected.  It is not something to joke about, but I would have made sure to get photos of both the supposed police and their vehicle.  Did they show any identification?  Perhaps the police emergency number should have been called to report men who were claiming to be police were harassing you - no uniforms or official vehicle or IDs.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would have refused to show them anything. Nada. You guys get off my property now. You are a nuisance. What do you want anyway? Go away. I treat the police and immigration here with an extraordinary amount of disdain. That is what they deserve. 

If tbere not immigration police its not there job. But l think the 1.5 hour time waster forgot to take a picture and hand balled it to the RTP

Looks like new unannounced procedure or tea money opportunity form wimpy farangs 

I personalty would never let any cop without a warrant enter my property!

I do everything according to immigration requirements, therefore I do not see the reason for "visits"

In Tak and BanTak, Hang Dong,CM, and 54km from Udon Thani airport all my friends had "visits" from local cops.

All in uniforms but all in unmarked pickups. No one let them in.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Nobody drives my truck but me.

I advise you not to make that admission to police. Its cuts off a possible defence if they are trying to find something on you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tomauasia said:

If tbere not immigration police its not there job. But l think the 1.5 hour time waster forgot to take a picture and hand balled it to the RTP

Yes it is their job.  They are all police.  What often happens is if your Imm Office is distant the Immigration police will contact your local police station to have them pop around and check you out.  Happened here a few times.  They are mainly looking for foreigners who are paying a local girl to pretend to be your wife.  The police come to check that you are in fact staying together.  They have come here but not come in, maybe my dog scares them.  They will then interview your neighbours to check if you are seen about the place and then go.  Police always take lots of photos to prove they were doing their job and not sitting in a bar or at the mia noi's place.

• Thanks 1

the other day i got stopped by gold helmet cops on moto.  twice in 5 minutes by two sets of cops. body searched for drugs.  i told second group to call the first group so i didnt have to be body searched twice. they said no.......and said it was my lucky day i got searched twice..  to they search thais like this.  maybe i look rich?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nanaplaza666 said:

I'm with everybody saying something must have happened with a truck involving a foreigner , i geuss OP's not telling the whole story and if he is , he should have asked tge police why they where there and what the picture was for .

yeah ..... fancy the police out investigating and didn't have the decency to call him and bring a cake.

I'd move if i was the OP ...  It's just not good enough 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

how many dogs?  how often do they bark?  never ever disturbed or bothered any neighbors?

Ughhh 10 but usually only 6 around the house the others at farm (cows) 1/2 km down the road. They bark at anything that goes by...seriously annoying....

I’m here basically 24/7 and other family members gone most the day so they’re not annoyed or maybe they enjoy the noise..

Police came by here I was out and told to go to stationer. Like said earlier it’s their job to know where we are at and not overstayed.

they took pictures of me and my tattoos on arms and chest and back.. all good no problem. 

The local village station dont know if there classified as police. Have a picture of me and wife on the ( Farang) wall. Not many here

3 or 4., 

They may simply be doing their jobs thoroughly - there's always hope. Ask for their names &/or read their name badges. It's pretty basic. Make a point of writing them down. Then ask to take a photo of them, with you in frame, keeping it all polite and jai yin of course. Maintain the businesslike attitude and grimace if you can. Any negative reaction & you immediately know there's a problem...

Back on topic. local police are sometimes tasked by Immigration to do checks on their behalf to see if people are registered at their addresses. it's a painless experience. At my apartments they just checked the reception, not individual units but were later seen around town at private addresses.

Unfortunately they drive Hiluxes, not BMWs so there is a complete lack of wailing, beating of chests and rending of clothes.

21 hours ago, Mister T said:

This has been going for a while now. Local cops have been told that they must know what foreigners are in their jurisdiction in case something happens to them. Naturally they have to have pics to prove to the boss that they have contacted you. Nothing sinister at all, smile and be friendly, it may help in the future.

Yes totally right,

Also, whether people like it or not, the local police are sometimes contacted by Immigration to visit on their behalf and gather the relevant information required that a foreigner is living there as in photos etc. especially if the Immigration office is some distance away.

Photos etc, This is done to prove they are doing their jobs as much as it is for checking on foreigners.

One or two say here in the board to treat them with contempt, I don't think that is ever a good idea.

I neither greet them with contempt but nor do I make them feel overly welcome. I answer the questions and leave it at that. The less interaction I have with them the better and I keep my paperwork in order.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Absolutely untrue. In the US the police are highly militarized, and shoot to kill. They do not even attempt to wound or incapacitate. The least bit of resistance from someone, provokes an extreme response. Many of the police departments in the US, are out of control.

Here? The police here are very soft. I have had many interactions with them, and I would never be able to get away with treating them the way I do here, in the US. Not for a nanosecond. I tell them no here. I tell them I am not interested in negotiating today, and drive away. I dodge them when they try to pull me over. I treat them with utter disdain. And get away with it. I do not think a Thai could get away with any of that. They seem to have some fear of the cops. I do not have any fear of these local franchisees. 

Sometimes, we just have a short, friendly conversation, and that is it. Usually when they see the Thai motorcycle or car DL, and the helmet, they just wave me on. But, if caught speeding, etc, I give them a really hard time. And I would never agree to a random drug test, anywhere, anytime. Never. Nunca. Nada. 

How can you have a "friendly" conversation while simultaneously treating them with utter disdain?

And if I were an on duty policeman with responsibility for doing my job and you refused a random drug test (reason, that you were pulled up for speeding), your next trip would be down to the station!

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Tagaa said:

Receiving calls from a farang down the road. Sounds like they are going door to door at farang houses around here.

For what it's worth I read a while back on a TVF post that it is the local cops jobs to confirm that they have been to your house, e.g. knowing that you reside there in case you passed away so that they can notify the embassy, and something on the lines that they can be audited and if they don't have the proof to satisfy an audit they get shifted or demoted, that said I am also in Issan and have never had a visit, but the cops are in the next village less than 400 metres away and know that I live here as I have a distinctive vehicle, plus they also know the wife's family. 

There is an overstayer up the road, but mums the word ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ChrisKC said:

How can you have a "friendly" conversation while simultaneously treating them with utter disdain?

And if I were an on duty policeman with responsibility for doing my job and you refused a random drug test (reason, that you were pulled up for speeding), your next trip would be down to the station!

That is amusing. I all the years I have lived here, I have never once seen anyone pulled over for speeding. Or reckless driving. The highway patrol only gets involved after an accident. 

This is the crux of the issue. If a cop is legitimately doing his job, I will be cooperative. If he is looking for a handout, I am not. Having said this, what percentage of the time are the local franchisees actually practicing "law and order"? 2%? Maybe. 

Respect must be earned and never, ever freely given. 

Edited by spidermike007

6 hours ago, SoonOh said:

Looks like new unannounced procedure or tea money opportunity form wimpy farangs 

I personalty would never let any cop without a warrant enter my property!

I do everything according to immigration requirements, therefore I do not see the reason for "visits"

In Tak and BanTak, Hang Dong,CM, and 54km from Udon Thani airport all my friends had "visits" from local cops.

All in uniforms but all in unmarked pickups. No one let them in.

The 4 that came to me were in uniform in a Toyota pick up.

quote "Looks like new unannounced procedure or tea money opportunity form wimpy farangs."

It doesn't look like that to me at all. They were given a task to do so just let them get on with it. When they came to me, my wife explained what they had told her and all they wanted was a photo of my passport and 90 day extension form, a couple of photos and that was it.

They asked for nothing else and left about 15 minutes later, didn't ask for water, soda, coffee, beer, whisky or money. Nice friendly guys. 

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

For what it's worth I read a while back on a TVF post that it is the local cops jobs to confirm that they have been to your house, e.g. knowing that you reside there in case you passed away so that they can notify the embassy, and something on the lines that they can be audited and if they don't have the proof to satisfy an audit they get shifted or demoted, that said I am also in Issan and have never had a visit, but the cops are in the next village less than 400 metres away and know that I live here as I have a distinctive vehicle, plus they also know the wife's family. 

There is an overstayer up the road, but mums the word ????

Please could you speak up a bit, as I didn't hear your last line.

• Haha 2