Corona virus Chang mai expat advice

LukeStar

On 3/5/2020 at 7:04 PM, Tayaout said:

All the cases of pregnant women/new born that I read about recovered. The risk is mostly for +60 and/or with precondition. At least practice good hygiene and remind your wife if needed. 

If mother infected child will be quarantined away from mother.

On 3/5/2020 at 7:39 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Lol, maybe for you mate, mine lives 400 metres up the road, not a word of English and see her about twice a year, if that, like I say to many, you marry your wife, not the family and if the wife can't understand that in the beginning before the bells and whistles, then it's NEXT !

How many you been through?

17 minutes ago, hmficc said:

It is not the Flu. Why would say that?

Obviously because it is a mutated form of animal flu, and very much related to influenza. It's not exactly the same as influenza but it is related to it.

Again, in Chiang Mai there is no serious covid19 epidemic, so to decide not to come because of covid19 would be ludicrous. 

It's perfectly safe here in terms of flu, covid 19 or other respiratory diseases. As was mentioned above the air quality and the driving are the real problems here.

Edited by Logosone
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2020 at 7:03 AM, cdnvic said:

It is not the flu. It has a mortality rate many times that of the average flu.

No, you should not panic, but dismissive misinformation helps nobody.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-does-the-new-coronavirus-compare-with-the-flu/

Yes, Fox (fake) news and the other right wing media are pushing that covid19 is just the flu, completely wrong, of course.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, hmficc said:

How many you been through?

One only, who reneged after the bells and whistles, she is still single till this day (1999), mummy and daddy knew what was best for their daughter.

Come to think of it, they did me a huge favor, because where I am now was worth all of their butting into our marriage back then and causing arguments with the X

Been on easy street with this one since 2006 up to now and that's the way it's going to stay as it works for us.

There are 5 different mutations of COVID19, they affect different races in a different way.

Thailand has a very mild one compared to Iran and Italy (who are racially similar in their DNA)

Virologists in a number of country's have been busy testing samples taken worldwide and have discovered a few surprises

I won't add any more but the original narrative of it starting in China is looking shaky now... stay tuned

I am sure the OP is not interested, but, I wonder how the virus is effecting the sex trade ? Rolling about with a woman who has rolled about with numerous others is sounding less appealing. A lot of income from that trade is redistributed throughout the country. 

On 3/7/2020 at 10:05 PM, Cheesekraft said:

lot of ignorant people spreading disinformation in here: this is NOT the flu. It has 35x the death rate of the flu, is far more infectious, is new (no immunity), re-infects within weeks killing some people, lasts on surfaces for up to 28 days, and is airborne. Don't travel if you don't have to.

35x no.

It's more like 15x but too early to compare as it's new.

New viruses always have higher rates due to low immunity.

Likely to fall.

21 hours ago, gargamon said:

Yes, Fox (fake) news and the other right wing media are pushing that covid19 is just the flu, completely wrong, of course.

Err the media is telling people 50m could die. It's a swindle. Same as sars, y2k, co2. Scare campaign to con people into doing silly things.

think about your wife and new child...this should not  be something you ask to this place.. stay home and take care of your family... these people on here most of the time pretend all is ok in thailand .. is not is not is not....they dont want to say i picked a bad place to live... we all did and we didnt know but many keep telling them selves all is ok... trust me things are bad and you just kid yourself if you think washing your hands and a mask will make it all go away...come when you dont have to ask your self will my wife and unborn child be ok if i go there....that should tell you all you need to know...

I feel quite lucky to be in CM whilst this virus is spreading around the world. Thailand is heavily connected to China, almost no restrictions on travel and the corona doesn't seem to be taking root? You would expect Thailand to be one of the worst hit countries but it isn't? China, Iran, Italy are all experiencing winter weather and its rife. Thailand and the rest of SE Asia are hot and getting hotter. Its not scientific but the virus doesn't seem to thrive in hot conditions.

People are going to say the numbers are all fake in Thailand blah blah blah but thai people spend all day chatting on LINE and Facebook even when they are at work. If the hospitals are packed with corona victims this info cant be hidden. Everyone at the hospital will have shared videos , photos, with every tom dick and somchai they know. If the virus really kicks off in Thailand it will be well documented by 60 million smart phones. 

• Like 2

Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket have the most number of Chinese tourists in the past.

Although their numbers have dropped but I can still see them in shopping centers with their loud manner. They themselves are escaping the virus in China and coming to safe haven in Thailand.

So if you are paranoid, don't go there.

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, CNXBKKMAN said:

I. Thailand and the rest of SE Asia are hot and getting hotter. Its not scientific but the virus doesn't seem to thrive in hot conditions.

Well, Singapore and Malaysia are both 'hot countries' but they have double the cases than that of Thailand.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

So I don't think it is the weather.

Edited by EricTh

1 hour ago, EricTh said:

Well, Singapore and Malaysia are both 'hot countries' but they have double the cases than that of Thailand.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

So I don't think it is the weather.

How many thousands of infections do they have?  They have all had infections since the very start of the outbreak and the increases have been small and steady. After all this time Malaysia is at 99. The colder countries with winter weather have more infections and faster increases. Korea, Italy the whole of Europe. Its not scientific study but it can clearly be seen the virus does not transmit as well in tropical SE Asia. 

• Like 1

Give the guy a break!!  All he wants to know is there any particular reason to be more sensitive about traveling to Chiang Mai than any general information available in so many places would indicate!!

My opinion: No special problem.

• Like 2

On 3/6/2020 at 10:39 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

the mortality rate for any particular country or area also depends on how much or how little they're doing in the way of virus testing.

Ah, rates vs. probabilities. Yes, if countries aren't testing their population, but only counting as virus infected those in the hospitals, yes, the mortality rates for those countries will be out of whack. But, as sample sizes increase, mortality rates  will decrease, since part of the sample will be early infectees that never progress to life threatening situations. What we'd all like to know, I guess, is what is the probability of dying from this disease. And it will take a large sample size to determine such a probability.

On 3/9/2020 at 10:27 AM, EricTh said:

Chiang Mai, Bangkok and Phuket have the most number of Chinese tourists in the past.

Although their numbers have dropped but I can still see them in shopping centers with their loud manner. They themselves are escaping the virus in China and coming to safe haven in Thailand.

So if you are paranoid, don't go there.

Noticed fewer chokes in cm, mainly due to the less frequent viewing of double yolkers on the floor of malls.

On 3/9/2020 at 11:57 AM, CNXBKKMAN said:

How many thousands of infections do they have?  They have all had infections since the very start of the outbreak and the increases have been small and steady. After all this time Malaysia is at 99. The colder countries with winter weather have more infections and faster increases. Korea, Italy the whole of Europe. Its not scientific study but it can clearly be seen the virus does not transmit as well in tropical SE Asia. 

Sorry to disappoint you but number of cases in Malaysia have risen to 673 today mainly due to event below.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2020/03/575560/how-sri-petaling-tabligh-became-southeast-asias-covid-19-hotspot

Edited by EricTh

"Noticed fewer chokes in cm, mainly due to the less frequent viewing of double yolkers on the floor of malls."

Hidden racist comment from sharktooth.

chokes = chinese

double yolkers = extra yellow people in pairs 

suggest to mods that he/she be banned till chinese virus has run its course.

• Thanks 1